The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
7 members (Jon G, Youngin' Tut 59, Lightholder's Dad, Ponchogl, 3 invisible), 121 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,132
Posts1,056,384
Members48,441
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: Feb 2017
Posts: 7
D
New Guy
New Guy
D Offline
Joined: Feb 2017
Posts: 7
Hey guys I'm new to the forum! I have a 1965 gmc pickup step side. The frame is dropped, cnotched and spindles in the front. I will be posting pictures soon! It has the standard 292 straight 6 cylinder engine with a 4 speed. I have a fresh built 350 that I have been working on that I want to swap into it. I know that I will need new engine mounts, any advice on a brand or type? Also I know that I will need to update my rear end? not entirely sure what is in it , going to post some pics of that later also. Along with the drive shaft size too. Thanks guys for any help!!!

Joined: Nov 2014
Posts: 70
E
'Bolter
'Bolter
E Offline
Joined: Nov 2014
Posts: 70
6 Cyl and small V-8 used same mounts. Left perch is the same but right is different.


ESum
Joined: Feb 2017
Posts: 7
D
New Guy
New Guy
D Offline
Joined: Feb 2017
Posts: 7
okay cool gotcha, what year perch? or were do I get the the right perch?

Joined: Feb 2017
Posts: 7
D
New Guy
New Guy
D Offline
Joined: Feb 2017
Posts: 7
okay gotcha

Joined: Nov 2014
Posts: 70
E
'Bolter
'Bolter
E Offline
Joined: Nov 2014
Posts: 70
63-68 at least are the same maybe even thru 72. Junkyard probably, there is 4-5-6chevytrucks.com. you could try. What condition is your 292 in?


ESum
Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 29,813
H
Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer)
Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer)
H Offline
Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 29,813
Just move the passenger's side mount bracket back to the same position as the driver's side. V8's and 250 6 cylinders use the same bracket, they're just offset on the frame rails for the 292. There's no need to use some fancy aftermarket mounting bracket unless the butcher job on the frame has made the stock mounts a moot point.
Jerry


"It is better to be silent and be thought a fool than to speak and eliminate all doubt!" - Abraham Lincoln
Cringe and wail in fear, Eloi- - - - -we Morlocks are on the hunt!
There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. - Ernest Hemingway
Love your enemies and drive 'em nuts!
Joined: Mar 2009
Posts: 788
P
'Bolter
'Bolter
P Offline
Joined: Mar 2009
Posts: 788
292 passenger side perch is different from the rest. you will need one from either a 230-250 I6 or a 283. to illustrate to the ones that say otherwise check this link.
http://www.persh.org/pickup/perches.htm
ron

Joined: Feb 2017
Posts: 7
D
New Guy
New Guy
D Offline
Joined: Feb 2017
Posts: 7
Its in great condition , it still runs. I just want some more power and have a 350 that I built for another projecting sitting around.

Joined: Feb 2017
Posts: 7
D
New Guy
New Guy
D Offline
Joined: Feb 2017
Posts: 7
Awesome! Thats sounds simple enough, So just move the passenger bracket back to be even with the drivers side. What about drive shafts? Any Idea what might work? I'm working on getting numbers/ opening up my rear end to see what gears I have to work with.

Joined: Mar 2009
Posts: 788
P
'Bolter
'Bolter
P Offline
Joined: Mar 2009
Posts: 788
Originally Posted by Hotrod Lincoln
Just move the passenger's side mount bracket back to the same position as the driver's side. V8's and 250 6 cylinders use the same bracket, they're just offset on the frame rails for the 292. There's no need to use some fancy aftermarket mounting bracket unless the butcher job on the frame has made the stock mounts a moot point.
Jerry
the 292 perch does not just slide back and work. the 292 perch also doesn't come out as far either. you will have a mickey mouse job
ron

Joined: Feb 2017
Posts: 7
D
New Guy
New Guy
D Offline
Joined: Feb 2017
Posts: 7
So do you recommend buying new pre made mounts ? or getting the other mount that actually works? Also Do I need a new transmission crossmember? I'm keeping the four speed. Thanks!

Joined: Mar 2009
Posts: 788
P
'Bolter
'Bolter
P Offline
Joined: Mar 2009
Posts: 788
all that you need is the pass side perch for 230, 250 i6 or 283. . crossmember at the bellhousing is fine. the perch is not hard to find.
ron

Last edited by padresag; 03/11/2017 5:40 AM.
Joined: Nov 2014
Posts: 70
E
'Bolter
'Bolter
E Offline
Joined: Nov 2014
Posts: 70
If you are interesting in selling the 292 send me a private message. I am in the Rome, Ga area and I do have an extra perch. Are you planning to keep the 4speed if so I have the V-8 bell housing cross member. If you swap to an automatic transmission you will have to remove the cross member that the parking brake linkage is connected too. You can however use the 66-68 set up. 66 was the first year that a turbo 350 was offered in trucks. The 63-65 parking cable-cross member set was in the way of the transmission tail shaft, therefore 66 was different then 63-65. All that said with assumption that GMC's where the same as Chevrolet. You will probably have to get a drive shaft made.

Last edited by ESum; 03/11/2017 2:32 AM.

ESum
Joined: Nov 2014
Posts: 70
E
'Bolter
'Bolter
E Offline
Joined: Nov 2014
Posts: 70
Sorry I did not look to see that there was 2 pages of post before I posted the above reply. I do have the perch you need and if you leave the bell housing cross member as is your drive shaft will work and you will use the rear set of holes for the motor mount perches. With a small block V8 your distributor will be close to the fire wall and fan will be a little far from the radiator. With that said I drove my 66 daily for 3 years with a 327 setting in the 6 cylinder position and even with an HEI Distributor and a clutch fan with no spacer the distributor cleared the firewall and I didn't have any problems with the engine overheating.


ESum
Joined: Mar 2009
Posts: 788
P
'Bolter
'Bolter
P Offline
Joined: Mar 2009
Posts: 788
Originally Posted by ESum
If you are interesting in selling the 292 send me a private message. I am in the Rome, Ga area and I do have an extra perch. Are you planning to keep the 4speed if so I have the V-8 bell housing cross member. If you swap to an automatic transmission you will have to remove the cross member that the parking brake linkage is connected too. You can however use the 66-68 set up. 66 was the first year that a turbo 350 was offered in trucks. The 63-65 parking cable-cross member set was in the way of the transmission tail shaft, therefore 66 was different then 63-65. All that said with assumption that GMC's where the same as Chevrolet. You will probably have to get a drive shaft made.
66 was the first year th400 trans
ron

Last edited by padresag; 03/11/2017 8:44 PM.
Joined: Mar 2009
Posts: 788
P
'Bolter
'Bolter
P Offline
Joined: Mar 2009
Posts: 788
Originally Posted by ESum
Sorry I did not look to see that there was 2 pages of post before I posted the above reply. I do have the perch you need and if you leave the bell housing cross member as is your drive shaft will work and you will use the rear set of holes for the motor mount perches. With a small block V8 your distributor will be close to the fire wall and fan will be a little far from the radiator. With that said I drove my 66 daily for 3 years with a 327 setting in the 6 cylinder position and even with an HEI Distributor and a clutch fan with no spacer the distributor cleared the firewall and I didn't have any problems with the engine overheating.
sbc does belong in the rear holes.
ron

Joined: Nov 2014
Posts: 70
E
'Bolter
'Bolter
E Offline
Joined: Nov 2014
Posts: 70
What engine use the front holes then?


ESum
Joined: Mar 2009
Posts: 788
P
'Bolter
'Bolter
P Offline
Joined: Mar 2009
Posts: 788
292 uses the forward hole on the passenger side. 230-250 I6 and sbc use the rear holes,
ron

Joined: Nov 2014
Posts: 70
E
'Bolter
'Bolter
E Offline
Joined: Nov 2014
Posts: 70
If that is the case I don't understand why there is a front hole on the left side.


ESum
Joined: Mar 2009
Posts: 788
P
'Bolter
'Bolter
P Offline
Joined: Mar 2009
Posts: 788
sometimes in life there can be a lot of things that you cannot understand. Though that is how those specific engines mount.
ron


Moderated by  Hambone, Woogeroo 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0