The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
2 members (delky, Steelonsteel), 235 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,089
Posts1,056,141
Members48,436
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: Aug 2012
Posts: 566
T
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
T Offline
Joined: Aug 2012
Posts: 566
Hi guys I know I've read it here in the engine shop and I was been searching for a few hours now on my so-called smartphone but I'm not finding the article and I wish to find here's what I'm interested in I have a friend over in Germany that has a 235 motor and the problem is he wishes to install any vibration damper. I told him that someone on this site I'm thinking it may be Hot Rod Lincoln made a tool to drill out the snout of the crankshaft and you use the bolt depress the vibration damper on I know he was renting them but I think my friend would like to buy one and I send it to him so if anybody can link me to the article or to the person who makes the tool I would appreciate it. So if you please have any information on the process of installing the vibration damper with this tool and the cost of the toll please let me know thanks again in advance I really like this site


"As I lay rubber down the street, I pray for traction I can keep, but if I spin and begin to slide, please dear God protect my sweet ride." -Amen

56 Chevy 3100
Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 7,440
Bolter
Bolter
Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 7,440
It is Hotrod Lincoln. Sent him a Private Message.


Martin
'62 Chevy C-10 Stepside Shortbed (Restomod in progress)
'47 Chevy 3100 5 Window (long term project)
‘65 Chevy Biscayne (Emily)
‘39 Dodge Business Coupe (Clarence)
“I fought the law and the law won" now I are a retired one!
Support those brave men/women who stand the "Thin Blue Line"! Hug a cop!
USAF 1965-1969 Weather Observation Tech (I got paid to look at the clouds)

Joined: Aug 2012
Posts: 566
T
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
T Offline
Joined: Aug 2012
Posts: 566
Thank you..... I thought that was who it was but I just couldn't remember thank you I will do that


"As I lay rubber down the street, I pray for traction I can keep, but if I spin and begin to slide, please dear God protect my sweet ride." -Amen

56 Chevy 3100
Joined: Mar 2010
Posts: 843
Y
yar Offline
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
Y Offline
Joined: Mar 2010
Posts: 843
Tiny,

If you have access to a lathe that would be a simple item to make. A piece of round bar with a portion bored to slip over the crank snout and a portion drilled to the size of the tap drill for the bolt you plan to use would do the trick. That simple piece would center your tap drill and guide it into the crank snout along the snout's axis.

Using a bolt to pull the damper on is risky as it can tear out the threads you put in the crank snout because at first it doesn't engage very many threads. It's safer to use a stud or a piece of allthread that engages all the threads you make with your tap.

Part of the fun of this hobby is making stuff like that.


Ray
Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 29,798
H
Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer)
Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer)
H Offline
Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 29,798
PM received and answered- - - - -I'll send pics and the instuction sheet for the kit as soon as I'm home from a road trip.

No, it's not simple or easy- - - -I've been tweaking the kit for several years, using helpful feedback from people who are kind enough to report on how it works and make suggestions on how to improve things. Some dummy on Ebay sells a drill guide tool for 3 times my price, which does not include a balancer pusher nor a guide for the tap- - - -my kit includes both of those items. People who have actually used the kit are very complimentary, others just pontificate.
Jerry




"It is better to be silent and be thought a fool than to speak and eliminate all doubt!" - Abraham Lincoln
Cringe and wail in fear, Eloi- - - - -we Morlocks are on the hunt!
There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. - Ernest Hemingway
Love your enemies and drive 'em nuts!
Joined: Mar 2010
Posts: 843
Y
yar Offline
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
Y Offline
Joined: Mar 2010
Posts: 843
Good morning Jerry.

I haven't seen your tool co I can't comment specifically on it. If I were going to make one it would be a simple sleeve with a stepped bore. One bore to slip over the crank snout and the other smaller bore to act a guide for the appropriate tap drill for the threads I was going to make. For a single use or very occasional use anything beyond that, like a hardened drill guide, seems like a solution looking for a problem.

That seems pretty simple to me.


Ray
Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 29,798
H
Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer)
Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer)
H Offline
Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 29,798
How do you plan to clear the Woodruff key? Mine does.

The first rule of holes- - - -when you're in one, stop digging.
Jerry


"It is better to be silent and be thought a fool than to speak and eliminate all doubt!" - Abraham Lincoln
Cringe and wail in fear, Eloi- - - - -we Morlocks are on the hunt!
There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. - Ernest Hemingway
Love your enemies and drive 'em nuts!
Joined: Mar 2010
Posts: 843
Y
yar Offline
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
Y Offline
Joined: Mar 2010
Posts: 843
"How do you plan to clear the Woodruff key? Mine does."

Good morning Jerry.

I would simply remove the woodruff key temporarily and make sure there are no burrs at the key slot to keep the guide sleeve from sliding on. Woodruff keys are easy to remove and install.

Being a geologist, not a mechanic, it's very rare for me to have to install a harmonic balancer. I installed the one on my '36 Chevy pickup in about 1973 and hasn't been off since.

It seems to me that the woodruff key only needs to be in place if the device that is going to be placed over the crank snout is going to be used to rotate the crankshaft. For example I have a hex shaped device from Summit Racing that slides onto a small block Chevy crank snout. It has a slot broached in it to receive the woodruff key and that allows the hex to be turned to rotate the crankshaft. I use that to degree camshafts. It seems that a tool that is intended to center a tap drill would be fully functional without a broached woodruff key slot. That eliminates a machining step (broaching), making the tap drill guide simpler to make.

Am I missing something?


Ray
Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 29,798
H
Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer)
Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer)
H Offline
Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 29,798
Yes- - - -my tooling kit has been helping many stovebolters drill and tap their crankshafts for about 10 years. They are very pleased with its performance and the tooling kit is selling like popsicles on a 100-degree summer day. Have you ever tried to remove a Woodruff key from a stovebolt crankshaft, particularly one that's still in the engine? How many of our fellow forum members have you assisted, or is your only function on the site being a slow fisherman?
Jerry


"It is better to be silent and be thought a fool than to speak and eliminate all doubt!" - Abraham Lincoln
Cringe and wail in fear, Eloi- - - - -we Morlocks are on the hunt!
There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. - Ernest Hemingway
Love your enemies and drive 'em nuts!
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,269
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,269
Quote
It seems to me that the woodruff key only needs to be in place if the device that is going to be placed over the crank snout is going to be used to rotate the crankshaft. . .
.
.
Am I missing something?
Yes, do you think the balancer will work properly in turning the fan/generator belt - the balancer being held in place simply by the friction between the balancer and the crankshaft snout?

Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 7,440
Bolter
Bolter
Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 7,440
Yar, your having fun poking the bear? This is fixin to get ugly!
😳


Martin
'62 Chevy C-10 Stepside Shortbed (Restomod in progress)
'47 Chevy 3100 5 Window (long term project)
‘65 Chevy Biscayne (Emily)
‘39 Dodge Business Coupe (Clarence)
“I fought the law and the law won" now I are a retired one!
Support those brave men/women who stand the "Thin Blue Line"! Hug a cop!
USAF 1965-1969 Weather Observation Tech (I got paid to look at the clouds)

Joined: Mar 2010
Posts: 843
Y
yar Offline
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
Y Offline
Joined: Mar 2010
Posts: 843
"Yes, do you think the balancer will work properly in turning the fan/generator belt - the balancer being held in place simply by the friction between the balancer and the crankshaft snout?"

Good morning Tim.

I believe that the balancer needs to be locked to the crankshaft in order to function properly. That's why the crankshaft and balancer are machined for a key.

I'm just wasn't sure why the drill guide needed to be broached. Now I realize from Jerry's explanation that the drill guide may be used not only on a partially assembled engine on a stand but also on an assembled engine with the timing cover in place.

The way I find new information is by asking questions. There is no such thing as a dumb question. I answer questions about slope stability and foundation design all the time in my work as a geologist. Things that are obvious to me are often not obvious to non-geologists. That does not mean they should be demeaned for asking.

Last edited by yar; 03/06/2017 6:34 PM.

Ray
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,269
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,269
OK, sorry, Ray. I misunderstood.

Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 29,798
H
Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer)
Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer)
H Offline
Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 29,798
So, maybe you can offer Thor a little advice on the best raw materials to use when he builds his next stovebolt?

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/236x/5a/3d/35/5a3d3571730f618bf8e0e872e180e6ae.jpg

Jerry


"It is better to be silent and be thought a fool than to speak and eliminate all doubt!" - Abraham Lincoln
Cringe and wail in fear, Eloi- - - - -we Morlocks are on the hunt!
There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. - Ernest Hemingway
Love your enemies and drive 'em nuts!
Joined: Mar 2010
Posts: 843
Y
yar Offline
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
Y Offline
Joined: Mar 2010
Posts: 843
"How many of our fellow forum members have you assisted, or is your only function on the site being a slow fisherman?"

Actually I'm no expert in any of this but I've tried to be helpful when I could.

Guys on Stovebolt are often VCCA members and some have contacted me about this article that appeared in the May 2009 VCCA monthly magazine:

1936 Chevy 1/2 Ton Pickup Modifications and Parts Substitutions
Ray Waldbaum #3855 of Santa Rosa, California — Email [email protected]
In the course of owning the same 1936 Chevy high cab pickup since 1965, I have discovered some mechanical modifications and parts substitutions that made this truck run better and made it safer and easier to drive. Some of these modifications were made over 35 years ago and the details, such as part numbers and exact dimensions of fabricated parts, were not recorded at the time. Therefore, some of the following information is general. Some of this information is probably applicable to other Chevys of this era. I am not a professional mechanic or machinist and all of this work was done in my home shop. My shop is equipped with a small metal lathe, small milling machine and various welding equipment, including a tig machine. However the tools that were most useful in stumbling onto this information were the telephone and various catalogs along with a perpetual curiosity about what’s out there that could make this truck work better.
Window Regulators The original window regulators had a single arm that raised and lowered the windows. Window regulators in later model trucks, through 1946, have two arms and work much better. The two arm window regulators are a direct replacement in the 1936.
Door Window Bottom Seals Porsche 356 seals are a perfect fit.
Fuel Filter The 1935-36 fuel pump has a fine mesh screen at the top of the sediment bowl. A much more effective part, and a perfect fit in the sediment bowl, is an AC gasoline filter element GF 149, AC part number 854567.
Fuel Pump Diaphragm Reviewing obsolete Ford catalogs indicates that 1930s era Fords used the same basic fuel pumps as Chevys, and individual parts like diaphragms are available from Ford restoration parts suppliers.
Carburetor Float Bowl Cover Leaks Leaks are chronic on these W1 carburetors because of a poor seal between the float bowl and float bowl cover. Various, difficult to accomplish methods of repairing the float bowl covers have been described to me. A quick, simple fix I discovered is Permatex® flexible anaerobic sealer, item number 51817 applied to both sides of the float bowl cover gasket. Permatex® technical advisors have told me that, although this product is not intended for use in carburetors, it is highly resistant to gasoline and it sure cured my leak permanently.
Ignition Points The original points are 2-piece units. Delco point set D105P is a one piece point set that fits perfectly into many makes of cars, including Chevys, from the 1920’s through the 1960’s. This point set is abundant and inexpensive on eBay.
Steering Gear Lubricant When I first restored my 1936 in the early 1970s, I was unaware that there was special GM steering gear grease. I mistakenly used other grease and it wiped off the gears, resulting in dry gear contact and creating high steering effort. I solved this problem by machining the steering sector housing for the thinnest, narrowest oil seal with the correct inside diameter that I could find in a seal catalog. That seal allowed me to use transmission gear lube in the steering gear box, improving lubricity and greatly reducing steering effort. In the approximately 35 years that seal has been in, it has not leaked a drop of oil. In about 2006, while rebuilding the Vega steering box in another one of my toys, a Chevy powered 1932 Ford roadster street rod, I discovered that GM steering gear grease is specified for use in GM manual steering boxes. That grease meets GM specification GM 4673M and carries GM part number 1051052. The bad news is that by 2006 none of this product was in stock at any GM dealership anywhere on earth. A call to the Shell Oil Company technical center put me in touch with a lubrication engineer. He cross referenced the GM specification GM 4673M to a Shell oil product called “Shell Alvania EP 1 Grease MC 2041SIPA” that fully meets the GM specification. Again the bad news, this product is not carried by any retailers in single cartridge quantities. However a group or a car restoration supply store could buy the minimum quantity and split it up. I got my hands on some and there is no question that it is the right stuff. It has the viscosity and appearance of mustard, while chassis grease is more like peanut butter.
Tierod Ends The original tie rod ends were complex, spring loaded, extremely worn out pieces that created a lot of looseness in the steering. Researching Moog suspension parts catalogs disclosed tie rod ends with the same female threads and a taper identical to the taper on the original ball studs. The Moog part numbers (35 years ago) were ES29R and ES29L. Making this conversion required grinding the peened end off of the original ball stud tapered shank, allowing the tapered ball stud shanks to be tapped out of the steering arms and pitman arm easily. These
42 GENERATOR & DISTRIBUTOR MAY 2009
tierod ends were a direct replacement on the tierod. Use of these tie rod ends on the drag link required that the original drag link be discarded and a piece of steel be threaded, right-hand threads on one end and left-hand threads on the other end to accept the tierod ends and allow adjustment of the drag link length to perfectly center the steering wheel spokes. This was easily accomplished on my small lathe. These modern tierod ends, along with rebuilding the steering box with new worm gear bearings and sector shaft bushings, removed all of the looseness from the steering gear and linkage. My truck is a driver, not a trailer queen, but at the 1976 National VCCA meet in Colorado Springs where it won 1st in Class T-2, the judges did not notice these non original tierod ends or the homemade drag link. Apparently these parts look very original.
Exhaust Manifold Heat Riser When I assembled my engine, I got the heat riser working perfectly. However, it very soon began to stick and I heard from others that they had the same problem. Use of various lubricants, including ones advertised for this application, was completely ineffective. Finally, I bit the bullet and removed the manifolds to create a permanent fix. That consisted of removing the original, rusty heat riser valve shaft and duplicating it in stainless steel. This is not an exotic material. In fact, a stainless steel bolt from a hardware store would work. To make sure this exercise would not have to be repeated, I also drilled the shaft holes in the exhaust manifold oversize and made stainless steel bushings that are a slight press fit in the manifold and a free fit on the shaft, allowing easy movement but no leaks. That proved to be an effective fix and there has been no sticking or leaking in the following 25 or so years.
Transmission Gear Oil Long ago I noticed that my 1936 shifted best when cold, while the oil was “thick.” This transmission was carefully assembled with all new synchronizer parts and shift forks and all clearances were adjusted to bring them into the middle range of the specifications. This suggested that a higher viscosity oil might work better because it is probably what the 1932-36 synchromesh transmission, with its loose clearances and primitive design, was designed for. To check this theory, I bought some so called 600 weight oil from the Filling Station and tried it. Although it still does not shift as effortlessly as a modern car, the shifting is much improved with the more viscous oil.
Transmission Speedo Drive Gear Seal This is not something that applies to the 1936, but rather to the 4-speed manual transmission in my 1978 El Camino and the Chevy 2004R overdrive automatic transmission in my street rod and probably countless other GM applications. These plastic gears drive the speedometer cable and are contained within a pot metal or steel sleeve with an oil seal. When this seal
wears out, leakage occurs. GM does not sell the seal separately and the entire sleeve/seal assembly would have to be replaced to cure the leak because the seal has a weird outside diameter that does not match any available seal. In addition, the sleeve/seal is probably obsolete and unavailable anyway. However, boring the sleeve inside diameter a scant 0.010” or so oversize (I don’t remember the exact dimension) allows a common seal, available from any bearing supplier to be used. The exact dimension can be determined by measuring the stock bore and rounding it up to the next common size, like 5/8”, 3/4”, etc. This allows a quick, easy inexpensive fix for that oil leak.
Brakes So called “Organic” brake shoes/linings have been all that is available, except for drum/disc eating metallic shoes/linings, from auto parts stores for decades because of the health risks attributed to asbestos. NOS asbestos shoes and linings are abundant and inexpensive on eBay and have a much higher friction coefficient than “Organic,” giving greatly improved braking. Converting from “Organic” to asbestos feels almost like adding a vacuum brake booster. I hope that this information is useful to some VCCA members.
What’s Next? The next quest on my 1936 pickup is trying to figure out a way to adapt in a later year differential gear set with a more freeway friendly gear ratio. This would involve changing from the present spiral bevel gear orientation to a hypoid orientation. If any VCCA members have any information concerning this, please pass it on. The one “expert” opinion I’ve gotten is that this can’t be done, but I’m not ready to give up yet.
MAY 2009 GENERATOR & DISTRIBUTOR 43

On Stovebolt.com I learned from Pre68 Dave that a 3.55 rear gear conversion in my ’36 PU would work if I used a ’37 Chevy car rear axle. That information led to successful completion of the 3.55 conversion and posting on VCCA Chat of this:

http://vcca.org/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/334876/1936_Chevy_3.55_rear_gear_conv

People on Stovebolt.com have contacted me with specific questions about this project.

Others on Stovebolt.com have contacted me about the 1934-36 Chevy truck fan shroud that I recently found after a 40+ year search for that very rare accessory.

The 1936 Chevy Owners forum recently posted this information on my tandem master cylinder conversion:


Dave,

Here’s the story of putting a tandem master cylinder (MC) on my ’36 Chevy high cab pickup. The first step was finding a compact MC that would fit into the confines of the original MC/pedal mount casting and has a 1” bore. This is the casting.

A mid 1980s Jeep MC fit that description. Here are some part numbers:
Dorman M56193
A1 Cardone 13-1292
Wagner MC 56193
Bendix R11373

A port at the bottom of this MC is plugged but its threads are 1/8” pipe, the same as an OEM 1936 Chevy brake light switch that screwed right in. The OEM wiring harness (actually a NOS 1937 Chevy pickup wire harness that I found when I did the restoration in the 1970s) reaches this revised brake light switch location. Is that too cool or what?

The wide ears on the replacement MC were milled off to make it narrower and new mounting holes were drilled as close as possible inboard and tapped 5/16” 18 TPI. My son, a mechanical engineer, calculated those two bolts would have more strength than the pushrod clevis pin and thus was adequate provided Grade 8 bolts were used.
Then I made a bracket that the narrowed replacement MC could bolt to and the bracket in turn could be bolted to the original casting with two 7/16” bolts. The Allen head bolts thread into the MC casting and a nut will also be placed on the bolt threads that protrude through the MC casting. Here’s an interesting side note on the welding, done with a Miller AC/DC tig/stick machine running at 140-160 amps. This bracket is stick welded with 5/32” 6013 electrodes, chosen for stick’s speed although it doesn’t make the “stack of dimes” beads that characterizes tig. Because this is a critical part all joints were welded on both sides. My wife showed me our electric bill and even this small amount of welding showed up as a daily “spike” on the bill. We must be really small users of electricity for this little project to spike the daily use noticeably.


Then in a rare, for me, moment of brilliance I thought to test the OEM MC to see if it has a RPV. That was easily accomplished using some tubing scraps, old fittings, a Schrader valve and a pressure gauge. The actual position of the vertical part of the bracket was dictated by the need for gusset plates in front of the MC, clearance for the bolts mounting the fabricated bracket to the original casting and clearance between the lug on the bottom of the MC and the original casting.
Next was determining if residual pressure valves (RPVs) would be required. I found conflicting information on this and couldn’t decide whom to believe.

This test showed that the OEM 1936 MC has a 15 pound RPV. The replacement MC has no RPVs so Wilwood 10 pound RPVs for each output line were bought, along with fittings to adapt the Wilwood RPVs to the ¼” brake lines used on the ’36 Chevys.

Next was making new hard lines that would follow the OEM brake hard line route along a cross member under the back of the transmission from the MC to a “T” fitting on the right frame rail. There each of the hard original hard lines was disconnected from the “T” and connected to the two new hard lines with ¼” inverted flare unions, completing the hydraulics.


In the bottom picture a union is used to hold the new front brake and rear brake tubes in position for the photo. In the actual installation each of these two new separate hard lines are attached with a union identical to the one in the picture to the OEM front and rear brake hard lines.
Next was making a push rod. That was done with a modern 7/16” diameter pushrod with its end cut off, turned to 3/8” diameter, and threaded 3/8” 24 TPI on my lathe to use the OEM push rod clevis. Reducing the diameter of the front of the pushrod to 3/8” and welding the bracket were the only parts of this project that could not be done with common hand tools. Because the location of the replacement MC is rearward from the OEM MC location, the pushrod is longer.


The OEM MC and pushrod combination limited the upward travel of the brake pedal in the cab to match the level of the clutch pedal. The new setup did not do that and the pedal rose to a level above the level of the clutch pedal. To limit the upward travel of the pedal this spacer block was attached to the underside of the floorboard.


Finally, the cutout in the floorboard above the MC had to lengthened and widened slightly because the tandem MC has a long cover rather than a cap and the tandem MC is mounted rearward from the OEM MC location. A new sheet metal cover was made to cover the enlarged hole. The plate nut I put in when I did this restoration in the 1970s was extracted and reused “just cuz” for old time’s sake even though I have some new ones.





This was a simple project but one with many steps. By doing it in small bites it got done. That actually happened by necessity because during the project there were some weather related issues to deal with like power outages, keeping drainage ditches and culverts open and flowing, and mudslides and fallen trees closing our road and even blocking our driveway. Our phone has been out for almost 2 weeks but that’s not a bad thing. Friends can still email and there are no annoying telemarketing calls.
This weekend the weather changed and my unheated garage had sunlight shining in and it was no longer damp and as cold as a refrigerator. Yesterday my wife helped me bleed the brakes. That’s always a tedious job with DOT 5 (silicone) brake fluid because that stuff really holds onto its tiny bubbles but we “got ‘er done”. Today (January 30) we drove it to a local park for a quick picnic lunch, a round trip of about 25 miles. Everything works OK and there is no difference from the OEM MC in braking performance because both the OEM and tandem MCs have 1” bores and the same pedal is used.

My next project will be to put a 1934-36 truck GM accessory fan shroud on my pickup. This must have been a very rare accessory. I found a NOS bottom half in 1979 but it took another 38 years of searching to find the upper ½. A member of this forum had removed it from a ’34 1 ½ ton truck and had it hanging up in his shop. He very generously gave it to me.

Even though I’ve owned this ’36 pickup for over 50 years, no project is ever done and this one is no exception.

Most recently I've discovered that Lubriplate SPO-288 gear lube is a big improvement over so called "600W" oil in my '36 transmission. People have contacted me with questions about the cost and availability of that product.

So I have been glad to discover some new things and share them.



Ray
Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 29,798
H
Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer)
Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer)
H Offline
Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 29,798
Give that man some Ben-Gay for his sore typing fingers? LOL!
Jerry


"It is better to be silent and be thought a fool than to speak and eliminate all doubt!" - Abraham Lincoln
Cringe and wail in fear, Eloi- - - - -we Morlocks are on the hunt!
There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. - Ernest Hemingway
Love your enemies and drive 'em nuts!
Joined: May 2005
Posts: 8,983
B
Sir Searchalot
Sir Searchalot
B Offline
Joined: May 2005
Posts: 8,983
I think he has been dying to post that somewhere. That's longer than Hillary's emails.


Right is right, even if everyone is against it, and wrong is wrong, even if everyone is for it. - William Penn
Joined: Mar 2010
Posts: 843
Y
yar Offline
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
Y Offline
Joined: Mar 2010
Posts: 843
Jerry and Bartamos,

No worries or sore fingers. It was just cut and paste from stuff that's already been in the VCCA magazine and various forums. Even though I'm "Mr Computer Illiterate" it only took a minute or two.


Ray
Joined: Mar 2010
Posts: 843
Y
yar Offline
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
Y Offline
Joined: Mar 2010
Posts: 843
Jerry and Bartamos,

No worries or sore fingers. It was just cut and paste from stuff that's already been in the VCCA magazine and various forums. Even though I'm "Mr Computer Illiterate" it only took a minute or two.


Ray
Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 29,798
H
Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer)
Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer)
H Offline
Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 29,798
"It's better to be silent- - - - - -"
Abraham Lincoln


"It is better to be silent and be thought a fool than to speak and eliminate all doubt!" - Abraham Lincoln
Cringe and wail in fear, Eloi- - - - -we Morlocks are on the hunt!
There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. - Ernest Hemingway
Love your enemies and drive 'em nuts!
Joined: Jun 2005
Posts: 481
R
'Bolter
'Bolter
R Offline
Joined: Jun 2005
Posts: 481
FYI from another believer. I still owe Jerry ("Hotrod Lincoln") pictures of my process using his tool kit. I decided to purchase a kit in lieu of renting. Either way, it worked great and I would do it again. In rebuilding my 1958 235 I found that the harmonic balancer was just pushed/pressed on the crank shaft and I really liked what Jerry had available. It takes some effort, but well worth me buying a new DeWalt 1/2" drill to do the job.

Thanks Jerry.

Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 29,798
H
Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer)
Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer)
H Offline
Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 29,798
I've added a couple of items since your purchase- - - -a 1/4" hardened guide bushing and a drill bit for doing a pilot hole before going to the final diameter. PM me if you'd like to do an upgrade to your kit.
Jerry


"It is better to be silent and be thought a fool than to speak and eliminate all doubt!" - Abraham Lincoln
Cringe and wail in fear, Eloi- - - - -we Morlocks are on the hunt!
There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. - Ernest Hemingway
Love your enemies and drive 'em nuts!
Joined: Mar 2010
Posts: 10,280
5
Renaissance Man
Renaissance Man
5 Offline
Joined: Mar 2010
Posts: 10,280
Yar, I have been following this thread closely, and I am puzzled by what I consider to be, your obtuse demeanor toward an installation tool created and offered to anyone who wants one as a loaner, and which has been repeatedly praised by all who have used it. I suspect that there is more to your story than just to "find new information is by asking questions".
Is it so important to you that we all understand how vast your knowledge/experience is as it applies to this hobby, that you feel it necessary to question a proven, well received tool to prove your point?
I guess you can now add this topic to your above manifesto to share with your VCCA buddies...
Respectfully,
Lrac


1952 5-window - return to "as built" condition | 1950 3100 with a 235 and a T-5 transmission
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,269
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,269
Lrac?
Respectfully?

Joined: Jan 2013
Posts: 1,084
A
'Bolter
'Bolter
A Offline
Joined: Jan 2013
Posts: 1,084
Jerry, different but related topic, have you tweaked your process for adding a two belt pulley to these 6's for running an a/c or power steering pump? I was thinking when I take the engine to the machine shop, I could just have them center the pulley (off a 283 if I recall, but I don't have instant ram like you) and tap the holes for the pulley and damper. At a recent swap meet a Vintage dealer mentioned they are now offering a new twin pulley damper for a small fortune.


Allen
Yeah, well, that's just like, you know , your opinion, man - The Dude

1948 Chevy 3600 - goal Original restoration, Current Stage 1 - Disassembly and getting body in primer
1954 GMC 3100 goal Hot Rod, Current Stage 1 - Get body in primer
1931 Ford Model A 5 window Coupe - Old Skool Hot Rod
1945 Ford 2N Tractor - Runs great
1964 Ford 2000 Tractor - Use it every week
1974 Stingray Corvette

Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 29,798
H
Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer)
Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer)
H Offline
Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 29,798
Allen, I just got the components in a few days ago to build up another damper prototype using all-new parts. The base unit is a 6" diameter damper for a 265/283/307 engine, etc. The 2-groove pulley is for a big block V8 and is reversed over the damper ring from its normal mounting position. The balancer hub needs some custom machining to make the pulley sheaves line up right.

I let a forum troll talk me into selling him an unfinished project sometime ago, and he panned it unmercifully because it was not a perfect fit and needed some further machining. This time, I'm going to do the entire job, including fitting it to a dummy engine, before reporting on the project. I'm also going to modify a 216-style water pump with the pressed-on single groove cast iron pulley to accept a 2-groove stamped pulley to complete the installation. By having both the water pump and the damper with two grooves, and using the high-mount adapter plate on the low-pump 235's it should accommodate a variety of possible mounting points for air conditioner compressors, power steering pumps, etc. More to come soon!
Jerry


"It is better to be silent and be thought a fool than to speak and eliminate all doubt!" - Abraham Lincoln
Cringe and wail in fear, Eloi- - - - -we Morlocks are on the hunt!
There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. - Ernest Hemingway
Love your enemies and drive 'em nuts!
Joined: Jan 2013
Posts: 1,084
A
'Bolter
'Bolter
A Offline
Joined: Jan 2013
Posts: 1,084
Sounds like a plan Jerry. I still have the writeup you sent me tucked away when I get there. We'll wait for the update.


Allen
Yeah, well, that's just like, you know , your opinion, man - The Dude

1948 Chevy 3600 - goal Original restoration, Current Stage 1 - Disassembly and getting body in primer
1954 GMC 3100 goal Hot Rod, Current Stage 1 - Get body in primer
1931 Ford Model A 5 window Coupe - Old Skool Hot Rod
1945 Ford 2N Tractor - Runs great
1964 Ford 2000 Tractor - Use it every week
1974 Stingray Corvette

Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 29,798
H
Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer)
Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer)
H Offline
Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 29,798
Just for grins, folks- - - -here's the most recent version of the drill & tap kit. Note the added 1/4" drill bit and guide bushing, and the "new and improved" balancer pusher with the tapered roller bearing:

http://www.hunt101.com/data/500/DSCF9833.JPG

Jerry


"It is better to be silent and be thought a fool than to speak and eliminate all doubt!" - Abraham Lincoln
Cringe and wail in fear, Eloi- - - - -we Morlocks are on the hunt!
There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. - Ernest Hemingway
Love your enemies and drive 'em nuts!
Joined: Mar 2010
Posts: 10,280
5
Renaissance Man
Renaissance Man
5 Offline
Joined: Mar 2010
Posts: 10,280
Originally Posted by tclederman
Lrac?
Respectfully?
OK, maybe Sincerely?


1952 5-window - return to "as built" condition | 1950 3100 with a 235 and a T-5 transmission
Joined: Aug 2012
Posts: 566
T
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
T Offline
Joined: Aug 2012
Posts: 566
I think this tool is wonderful and I will add it to my collection.

Hotrod Lincoln i talked to my friend in Germany and by next week they will let me know if they will order one. I will get one after I get home from my situation in a few more weeks.

When I originally installed my vibration damper my friend just beat it on with a hand held sledgehammer and a block of wood. I was so nervious. That's why when I see a tool like this i think its a great idea and really appreciate you more experienced guys whom make my life easier. Thanks again stovebolt.com and all the stovebolters who share there tricks and what works for them so guys like me do not struggle so much trying to reinventing the wheel.


"As I lay rubber down the street, I pray for traction I can keep, but if I spin and begin to slide, please dear God protect my sweet ride." -Amen

56 Chevy 3100
Joined: Jul 2010
Posts: 592
M
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
M Offline
Joined: Jul 2010
Posts: 592
Ditto from me about all the great comments regarding Jerry's kit. It is awesome!

For those of you who still want to pound something into place when rebuilding an engine, get Jerry's kit anyway to install the harmonic balancer. You'll still have the opportunity to get out the big hammer and a block of wood to pound the cam gear on to the camshaft after heating up the gear!

Matt

Joined: Mar 2010
Posts: 843
Y
yar Offline
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
Y Offline
Joined: Mar 2010
Posts: 843
"I guess you can now add this topic to your above manifesto to share with your VCCA buddies..."

Hi Carl.

I've owned the same '36 Chevy pickup since 1965, but no other antique cars ever. Being a do-it-yourselfer and enjoying tinkering in my home machine/welding shop I've attempted various visually undetectable upgrades on that '36 since the home restoration was completed in the mid 1970s.

Whenever one of those projects had a good outcome I've passed what I learned on to others who may find the information useful. I realize that the information on that '36 I posted might look like a lot, but when one considers that it is a 50+ year accumulation of information about only 1 vehicle it may look like not so much. In any event, I'm not an automotive professional and do not regard myself as any kind of expert. I'm just and interested and motivated amateur who likes to test his skills.

Most of what I have learned about my '36 came from asking questions and learning from others. For example it was Pre 68 Dave on this forum who informed me that the way to put 3.55 gears in my '36 was to use a '37 Chevy car rear end. If you look at the article on that 3.55 conversion, (http://vcca.org/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/334876/1936_Chevy_3.55_rear_gear_conv), you will see that I'm not even the one who posted it. It was posted by someone else who thought it might be useful to others. Please notice that the article posted about the 3.55 rear gear conversion credits stovebolt.com TWICE!

"Is it so important to you that we all understand how vast your knowledge/experience is as it applies to this hobby, that you feel it necessary to question a proven, well received tool to prove your point?"

Carl, I don't know of any way to get information other than by asking questions. Please notice that I didn't understand the reason for the broached keyway in the installation tool until Jerry explained. Then I understood and said so. As to having "vast knowledge/experience" I probably do have more than average information about the 1936 Chevy pickup after owning the same one for over 50 years but none to speak of regarding other years, makes and models.

Another example of asking for information is asking a lubrication engineer at Lubriplate for an equivalent to SAE 160 gear oil recommended for my '36 transmission "back in the day". He recommended Lubriplate SPO-288 gear oil. Draining the "600W" oil I had been using and putting the Lubriplate product in had the effect of making the trans shift better than it ever has. It's hard to imagine what could possibly be wrong with passing that information on to others who may be able to use it. Can you please explain?

Lastly Carl, although I'm an educated person, I don't know what "obtuse demeanor" is. Maybe I would if I were a psychologist but my degrees are in geology.

Last edited by yar; 03/10/2017 5:07 AM.

Ray
Joined: Aug 2005
Posts: 6,377
T
Ex Hall Monitor
Ex Hall Monitor
T Offline
Joined: Aug 2005
Posts: 6,377
This is running way off the rails. The forum Mods can unlock if they see fit.


Save a life, adopt a senior shelter pet.
The three main causes of blindness: Cataracts, Politics, Religion.
Name your dog Naked so you can walk Naked in the park.

Moderated by  Phak1, Woogeroo 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0