The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
2 members (Otto Skorzeny, Jon G), 86 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,089
Posts1,056,344
Members48,442
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#120674 05/26/2006 1:42 PM
Joined: Mar 2006
Posts: 55
P
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
P Offline
Joined: Mar 2006
Posts: 55
any suggestions on something durable for use on wheel rims , my truck is a '53 and I'd like to go back to the original color (Sahara Beige) for the wheels , cab and box. and I really would like the wheels to look good for as long as possible and not be a mismatched colour. thanks

Joined: Aug 2005
Posts: 6,377
T
Ex Hall Monitor
Ex Hall Monitor
T Offline
Joined: Aug 2005
Posts: 6,377
I'm having mine powder coated. It's much more durable than paint. I don't know if the color can be matched exactly. I'm using gloss black on mine.


Save a life, adopt a senior shelter pet.
The three main causes of blindness: Cataracts, Politics, Religion.
Name your dog Naked so you can walk Naked in the park.
Joined: Jun 2005
Posts: 422
A
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
A Offline
Joined: Jun 2005
Posts: 422
Sahara Beige wasn't a original color for the 53 Chevy trucks, the 53 colors are...

Transport Blue
Mariner Blue
Juniper Green
Ocean Green
Commercial Red
Burgundy Maroon
Coppertone
Omaha Orange
Autumn Brown
Cream Medium
Yukon Yellow

Joined: Jun 2005
Posts: 887
N
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
N Offline
Joined: Jun 2005
Posts: 887
I think the stock color of the rims on the 47-53 1/2 ton trucks was white. I believe they were all white regardless of the color of the body.

Hopefully someone will chime in to correct me or confirm...

Anyhow...if they were all white it would be easy to get the rims sandblasted and powdercoated, and that would be much more durable than any paint.


'51 Chevy 1/2 ton w/'62 261, HEI, offy, fentons, dual carter/webbers, t-5 & 12 bolt posi
Joined: Jun 2000
Posts: 454
J
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
J Offline
Joined: Jun 2000
Posts: 454
I believe the stock rims were black. I will check my documentation at home this evening to confirm.

As AD points out, Sahara Beige was a car color, not a truck color.


Jeff Nelson

"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy." - Benjamin Franklin
"Always do right. This will gratify some people and astonish the rest." - Mark Twain
Joined: Mar 2006
Posts: 55
P
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
P Offline
Joined: Mar 2006
Posts: 55
AD_Pickup and Jeff , I neglected to specify that I am in Canada and my truck is also Canadian and according to the restoration package from GM my truck was originally Sahara Beige (338) and came with a 235cid 108hp engine and was a model 1314 (3104 in the US). I also realise that the wheels were not originally the body colour but I wanted to change that as I thought it would look better because I'm planning on painting the fenders , running boards , Fulton visor and top of the cab in Navy Blue.

Joined: Jun 2000
Posts: 454
J
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
J Offline
Joined: Jun 2000
Posts: 454
Sorry, my bad. I don't know a thing about Canadian ADs.


Jeff Nelson

"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy." - Benjamin Franklin
"Always do right. This will gratify some people and astonish the rest." - Mark Twain
Joined: Mar 2006
Posts: 55
P
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
P Offline
Joined: Mar 2006
Posts: 55
According to Patrick Dykes something is also different with the carrier in the rear end but those are the only differences that I'm aware of. So far anyways , I haven't started the re-assembly yet , just waiting for a couple of parts orders to arrive.

#120682 05/26/2006 10:19 PM
Joined: Jun 2005
Posts: 422
A
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
A Offline
Joined: Jun 2005
Posts: 422
I didn't know you were in Canada either, sorry. I think the wheels on a deluxe cab (US) were painted the same color as the truck and they were pinstriped on the 16" wheel only. At least that is what my restoration packet for the 53 US tells me.

#120683 05/26/2006 10:27 PM
Joined: Jan 2004
Posts: 223
N
'Bolter
'Bolter
N Offline
Joined: Jan 2004
Posts: 223
I agree with AD. Deluxe Cab had body colored wheels. All others had black, (I think).
Steve O


1950 Chevy 3100
261, 4 speed
Purchased 1977

1964 Pontiac Lemans Convert
Joined: Jun 2005
Posts: 887
N
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
N Offline
Joined: Jun 2005
Posts: 887
My bad- I don't know where I came up with white and now I'm gonna go look at my restoration pack to be sure.


'51 Chevy 1/2 ton w/'62 261, HEI, offy, fentons, dual carter/webbers, t-5 & 12 bolt posi
Joined: May 2002
Posts: 144
T
Ter Offline
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
T Offline
Joined: May 2002
Posts: 144
My 2 cents worth!!
I have several old 16 inch rims off various years of AD trucks and the colors are... Red with stripes, Blue with stripes and Black with stripes. Also some so rusty I can't be sure what color but the stripes are still barely visable!!!
Not much help but... at least we know they were not all black!!
Ter

Joined: Mar 2006
Posts: 55
P
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
P Offline
Joined: Mar 2006
Posts: 55
I just bought four rims from a guy here locally as the truck only came with two when I bought it , one is green , one red and one black all with striping . I saw a truck on Barrett-Jacksons website http://www.barrett-jackson.com/images/carjpg/2004bjcca/2/319/2004BJCCA2_319_34.jpg

and I kind of had the same idea in my head up until that point except with navy blue instead of brown and original wheels of course. Also using Patricks lowered springs on all four corners.

Joined: Mar 2006
Posts: 89
B
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
B Offline
Joined: Mar 2006
Posts: 89
The treatment I have used for my rims on several different vehicles is , sandblasting, epoxy primer, (DP-40) then I usually topcoat with heavy equipment paint, CAT black or white. While powder coating is great I use my trucks and if I want to touch up my rims for any reason I can do just that without it looking tacky.


240,000 worker bees!
1960 Two ton Chevy
Joined: Jun 2005
Posts: 887
N
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
N Offline
Joined: Jun 2005
Posts: 887
What I've done is used 'aircraft paint remover' to get the paint of, then used rustoleum rattle can primer, then rustoleom paint- for the same reasons as you- when they need touching up I can do it with the rattle can.

On the other side of things, I think that with powdercoating they wouldn't need touching up so much cause its a more durable coating.


'51 Chevy 1/2 ton w/'62 261, HEI, offy, fentons, dual carter/webbers, t-5 & 12 bolt posi

Moderated by  klhansen 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0