Jorb...
Some of the lands or flutes or what ever they are called seemed to be flattened very similar to pictures that I posted of my drive gear....
Would you consider this gear to be worn badly ?NO, It is only a speedo gear, there is not much force on it, there wouldn't be a lot of wear. It is only driving the speedometer cable.
If my speedo drive gear is shot then where can I obtain another one. ?http://nwtparts.com ,Ask for John
Is it possible to file these lands where they are flattened so they would be less so ????? Yes, But that is not how they were designed.
I also just noticed that the drive gear is chamfered and that side is where the lands are the widest, not sure if that means anything.I believe that is normal.
1929 - 1954 Master Parts and Accessories Catalog Group Number 4.337, Speedometer Gear
page 1 page 2 page 3 There are a lot of variables that go into getting the correct speedometer reading.
The above pages show: tire size, wheel size and ring & pinion teeth. Also possibly needed adapter.