The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
2 members (Joe H, moparguy), 118 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,093
Posts1,056,480
Members48,444
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: Jan 2000
Posts: 2,074
J
'Bolter
'Bolter
J Offline
Joined: Jan 2000
Posts: 2,074
I've run across an odd ball(I guess) type of the standard dry truck air cleaners, need help I.D.ing the thing.

The bottom of the stock one is a smooth transition as it necks down to where the clamp secures it to the carb. The odd ball I've seen is the same animal but it's neck is recessed up into the base. I saw one on ebay for sale one time said it was early Corvette but not convinced.
Most early Corvette I've seen have several styles of air cleaners and most are totally wrong. Have seen similar units on other makes of cars with same lid but the rest is different yet.
Anyone???


It's easier to get forgiveness than permission!
1946 1/2-Ton Chevy
1953 Chevy 3/4-ton Factory Stakebed
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,270
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,270
JiMerit,

We are "flying blind" - can you post a link to a photo?
Or, email a photo to me and I will hist it.

I thought that Corvette 235s had three side-draft carburetors. I see a few photos of eBay of those three carbs sharing two air cleaners like you describe.

example 1
example 2
example 3

Joined: Jan 2000
Posts: 2,074
J
'Bolter
'Bolter
J Offline
Joined: Jan 2000
Posts: 2,074
No sorry can't post a pic, Your first pic looks correct as far as the lid goes. Know over many years Corvette people were buying up all our truck air cleaners as originals were not to be found. There is a side by side pic of the two types I attempted to describe in Deve's photos to check out.
http://devestechnet.com/Images/Restorations/1950B/D50b00437lg.jpg
http://devestechnet.com/Images/Restorations/1950B/D50b00442lg.jpg

Last edited by JiMerit Boltr#43; 02/11/2017 1:21 AM.

It's easier to get forgiveness than permission!
1946 1/2-Ton Chevy
1953 Chevy 3/4-ton Factory Stakebed
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,270
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,270
Those two "styles" differ for the two carburetor "throat" diameters used in 47-55st.

Joined: Jan 2000
Posts: 2,074
J
'Bolter
'Bolter
J Offline
Joined: Jan 2000
Posts: 2,074
the ones I have measure 2 5/16" same size as my old oil bath, don't have other to compare that I can get to.

The smaller one in Deve's pic is much smaller than mine.

Last edited by JiMerit Boltr#43; 02/11/2017 1:46 AM.

It's easier to get forgiveness than permission!
1946 1/2-Ton Chevy
1953 Chevy 3/4-ton Factory Stakebed
Joined: Jul 2013
Posts: 863
F
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
F Offline
Joined: Jul 2013
Posts: 863
Got mine off E-Pay. I think Jim Carter Truck Parts sells these as afternarket item also.

Tim


"Pay attention to the details! It ALWAYS pays off."

1949 Chevrolet 3100 Series 1/2 ton Pickup
1964 Chevrolet C10 (Ol' Yella) (SOLD)
1958 Chevrolet Biscayne 2 door (SOLD)
1970 VW Beetle
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,270
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,270
Jim Carter's are for the larger throat carburetors - 1950 and later 235 and 261s (the carburetors changed to a center post for the air cleaner in 1960).

DRY ELEMENT AIR CLEANER 6 CYL 1950-1959 CHEVROLET AND GMC - ME904

Joined: Jul 2013
Posts: 863
F
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
F Offline
Joined: Jul 2013
Posts: 863
Tim,

Sorry, misspoken. I have a Rochester "B" on my 216 cu.in. with the center post to attach the top and the air cleaner has the clamp for the carb.

Tim


"Pay attention to the details! It ALWAYS pays off."

1949 Chevrolet 3100 Series 1/2 ton Pickup
1964 Chevrolet C10 (Ol' Yella) (SOLD)
1958 Chevrolet Biscayne 2 door (SOLD)
1970 VW Beetle
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,270
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,270
Tim,

I think your 216 carburetor would have too small a diameter top to fit JC's cleaner.

I also dimly recall seeing a hard rubber "adapter-ring" that was used in the "old days" to get the newer cleaners to work on the older carburetors?


Moderated by  Phak1, Woogeroo 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0