The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
4 members (Nick in Manitou, Bill Hanlon, moparguy, Peggy M), 135 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,109
Posts1,056,269
Members48,439
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#120357 04/18/2006 4:47 PM
Joined: Jul 2005
Posts: 8
B
New Guy
New Guy
B Offline
Joined: Jul 2005
Posts: 8
I bought 2 new fenders for my 39 truck, but the holes are not drilled. Does anyone know the hole pattern for the bed sides so that I can correctly attach these fenders?


39 Project

#120358 04/21/2006 10:25 PM
Joined: Oct 2001
Posts: 3,458
4
Extreme Gabster
Extreme Gabster
4 Offline
Joined: Oct 2001
Posts: 3,458
Your best bet is to make a cardboard template for each side to transfer the location for the holes from the bed sides to the fenders you have, or clamp the fenders to the sides and use a center punch to mark them. They may be in differant places depending on each piece.


Paint & Body Shop moderator
A lone amateur built the Ark. A large group of professionals built the Titanic.
#120359 04/23/2006 9:33 PM
Joined: Jul 2005
Posts: 8
B
New Guy
New Guy
B Offline
Joined: Jul 2005
Posts: 8
I don't have holes in my bed sides or the fenders so how would I know where to clamp it at in order to mark it?

#120360 04/25/2006 3:49 AM
Joined: Oct 2001
Posts: 3,458
4
Extreme Gabster
Extreme Gabster
4 Offline
Joined: Oct 2001
Posts: 3,458
If you don't have any holes it is your choice where you put them. Hopefully someone with a 39 will chime in with a picture or something.


Paint & Body Shop moderator
A lone amateur built the Ark. A large group of professionals built the Titanic.
#120361 04/25/2006 5:11 AM
Joined: Oct 2005
Posts: 275
H
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
H Offline
Joined: Oct 2005
Posts: 275
I would probably get your box mounted on the frame. Put your running boards on. By having the running boards in place then you know the location from front to back. Then you need to get your height, line up the fenders where they should be on the running boards. Then you'll know the height at the front of the fender.

Does anyone know if the fenders are mounted in the same location as the 41-46? If so, I could give you some measurements off my truck.


38 original
48 panel
59 stepside
46 in the back forty
#120362 04/25/2006 10:46 PM
Joined: Jul 2005
Posts: 8
B
New Guy
New Guy
B Offline
Joined: Jul 2005
Posts: 8
Thanks HighwayMan

That was the type of response I was expecting, much better than just put them where you want to.

What I really need is the location of the top bolt hole from the inside floor and then the distance from the two outer bolt holes - since there are only 3 or 4 holes the top hole along with the running board will determine the position.

If anyone knows that information it would of great help.

#120363 04/26/2006 4:59 AM
Joined: Oct 2005
Posts: 275
H
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
H Offline
Joined: Oct 2005
Posts: 275
Sorry I can't help you out some more. I have a 46 that I could give you the measurements off of. When you do find out where the top bolt goes make sure you evenly space your bolt pattern so it looks good when some one peeks into your box at the next show.


38 original
48 panel
59 stepside
46 in the back forty
#120364 04/30/2006 10:03 PM
Joined: Feb 2006
Posts: 5
W
Junior Member
Junior Member
W Offline
Joined: Feb 2006
Posts: 5
Hi Brent,
Been a while since I have been on. I read where you need some information. I have a 39 chevy 1/2 ton JC shortbed. I can get you those measurements. It is rainy here in the south so it might take me a couple of days to get out there to do it so let me know if you still need them. I can even take a picture with the measurements cause the bed is upside down on another one waiting on me to do something with it.

#120365 05/01/2006 3:55 AM
Joined: Jul 2005
Posts: 8
B
New Guy
New Guy
B Offline
Joined: Jul 2005
Posts: 8
Wally -

If you do that for me - would be the man !!!

Much thanks

#120366 05/01/2006 5:01 AM
Joined: Oct 2000
Posts: 804
M
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
M Offline
Joined: Oct 2000
Posts: 804
Brent, I have to tell you Josiah had the BEST advice for you. This is in NO WAY meant to offend anyone posting here. You don't want to rely on some guy two thousand miles away from you with a bent up measuring tape who can't read it properly to give you some numbers.

The bed could be a little off, etc, etc. Getting that HEIGHT hole, yeah, that's cool. "The highest hole is three inches from the fold at the top of the bed side", yeah, ok, start with that. But You REALLY should bolt the whole thing together. Clamp the fenders in place and mark off some holes and drill them.

At the very least, get all the measurements from who ever and DOUBLE CHECK THEM. Before you drill. Mark them on the bed, double check that the fender will be in the right location. Then drill the holes in the bed. Then clamp the fenders in place and mark the fenders thru the holes and then drill the fender holes.

I'll be in Conway this July 8th if you want a hand. smile

Brian


1948 Chevy Pickup
Chopped and sectioned
owned since 1974 when I was 15.
#120367 05/01/2006 11:34 PM
Joined: Jul 2005
Posts: 8
B
New Guy
New Guy
B Offline
Joined: Jul 2005
Posts: 8
Thanks Brain

I may need some help when you are here. I will try and get hooked up with you then.

#120368 05/02/2006 7:22 AM
Joined: Oct 2000
Posts: 804
M
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
M Offline
Joined: Oct 2000
Posts: 804
One thing I forgot to mention, the position of those fenders in relation to the tire is EXTREMELY important.

If the tire is just a tiny bit back or forward (rearward is MUCH worse) the truck looks like hell. I know the running board will pretty much set that distance, but it is still nice to have the fenders on, with weight on the springs sitting where it needs to be and stand back to take a look at it.

I know this is overkill, but with new parts with no holes, you just can't be to careful.

Brian

Brent, PM me for my phone number.


1948 Chevy Pickup
Chopped and sectioned
owned since 1974 when I was 15.

Moderated by  klhansen 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0