Click on image for the lowdown. 
====
| | |
8 members (Donf, Goach2, Otto Skorzeny, cmayna, Joe H, Wally / Montana, Gdads51, 1 invisible),
89
guests, and
0
robots. | | Key: Admin,
Global Mod,
Mod | | | Forums66 Topics128,118 Posts1,056,307 Members48,439 | | Most Online14,466 Apr 26th, 2026 | | AD Chevy Trucks Over 6,000 pictures Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips. Check them out!
Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!
| | THANKS!
For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for over 30 years! and not clogged down with Ads! Again, thanks! | | | | Joined: Mar 2011 Posts: 1,146 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Mar 2011 Posts: 1,146 | I seem to have a incorrectly machined Okie bushing puller tool I have a Okie Bushing Sleeve assembly and the bushing puller fingers will not compress inward far enough to allow the fingers to slip into the Okie Bushing Sleeve. Picture A This Picture B shows the outside dimensions of the bushing puller. O.D. dimensions of fingers uncompressed is, 1 1/2"If anyone has a bushing puller I would like to compare your dimensions with mine. When the fingers are compressed inward the fingers outside dimension is, 1 7/16" . The inside dimension of the front bushing is, 1 5/16" Any help appreciated. | | | | | Joined: Sep 2010 Posts: 2,315 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Sep 2010 Posts: 2,315 | Maybe you could take a grinning wheel and make the cuts between the fingers wider so it will collapse smaller to fit the bushing.I looks like the bolt is backed out enough. We're did you get your bushing from I have been looking and have seen they were on back order | | | | | Joined: Mar 2011 Posts: 1,146 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Mar 2011 Posts: 1,146 | The width of the cuts on my bushing puller are just a hair wider than 1/32 of a inch. Do they sell grinding wheels in different widths? I bought my Okie Bushing Sleeve assembly a couple years ago from Patrick's Antique Cars & Trucks. I think http://www.vapinc.com/ makes them for most of the vendors. I think they have them in stock. | | | | | Joined: Sep 2010 Posts: 2,315 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Sep 2010 Posts: 2,315 | Thanks I will keep them in mind for when I take my rear end apart. I think you could find a grinding disc that will fit between to grind the sides of the pullers fingers.
Last edited by KEVINSKI; 02/09/2017 3:21 AM.
| | | | | Joined: May 2015 Posts: 11,070 Housekeeping (Moderator) Making a Stovebolt Bed & Paint and Body Shop Forums | | Housekeeping (Moderator) Making a Stovebolt Bed & Paint and Body Shop Forums Joined: May 2015 Posts: 11,070 | The width of the cuts on my bushing puller are just a hair wider than 1/32 of a inch. Do they sell grinding wheels in different widths? Cutoff wheels are generally 1/16" thick. That would probably do the job for you. Clamp the tool snugly in a vice and very carefully run the cutoff gently into the slot, bracing your hands and being careful not to put the wheel in a bind or it will catch and possibly blow up on you.  Make sure the guard is on the grinder, and wear a full face shield and welding gloves.
Kevin 1951 Chevy 3100 work truckFollow this saga in Project JournalPhotos 1929 Ford pickup restored from the ground up. | 1929 Ford Special Coupe (First car) Busting rust since the mid-60's If you're smart enough to take it apart, you darn well better be smart enough to put it back together. | | | | | Joined: Mar 2011 Posts: 1,146 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Mar 2011 Posts: 1,146 | klhansen,
I talk to the parts guy over at vapinc and he thinks the bushing puller might have been made incorrectly. The O.D. of the finger hooks on my puller don't jive with the puller they were looking at.
O.D. of the finger hooks: (uncompressed) My reading, 1 1/2" There reading, 1 7/16
O.D. of the finger hooks: (compressed) My reading, 1 7/16" There reading, 1 5/16" Small The I.D. of front bushing is, 1 5/16"
The gap between fingers: My reading, 1/32" Big There reading, between 1/16" to 1/8"
He thinks the gaps between fingers where made on the lathe. Using the wrong width cutting wheel/tool. He said' That they would send me out a new one. I said' What do you want me to do with the one I have. He said' Throw it in the garbage. I said' OK
I'm keeping my Fingers Crossed, no pun intended.
Thanks for Your suggestions. I'll let you know if it shows up at the door step. Then I'll do a comparison. | | | | | Joined: May 2015 Posts: 11,070 Housekeeping (Moderator) Making a Stovebolt Bed & Paint and Body Shop Forums | | Housekeeping (Moderator) Making a Stovebolt Bed & Paint and Body Shop Forums Joined: May 2015 Posts: 11,070 |  to the guy at vapinc for fixing you up. Better than some vendors who won't stand by their stuff.
Kevin 1951 Chevy 3100 work truckFollow this saga in Project JournalPhotos 1929 Ford pickup restored from the ground up. | 1929 Ford Special Coupe (First car) Busting rust since the mid-60's If you're smart enough to take it apart, you darn well better be smart enough to put it back together. | | | | | Joined: Mar 2011 Posts: 1,146 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Mar 2011 Posts: 1,146 | Well the results are in: Pic one Pic TwoThe Good one is a little smaller than the bad one. The Good one finger gaps are wider than the bad one. I guess Vapinc is selling out all there old inventory but are going to keep making and selling the Okie bushing sleeve assembly and bushing puller. At http://www.gennieshifter.com/ I don't know what they're going to do with the Vapinc website. | | |
| |