The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
4 members (TooMany2count, 1955 1 Series, Shade Baby, Gray_Ghost), 157 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,110
Posts1,056,274
Members48,439
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: Dec 2014
Posts: 305
2
'Bolter
'Bolter
2 Offline
Joined: Dec 2014
Posts: 305
I need a starter drive. I have a 47 coe with a 54 car 235 engine. I think they used the flywheel off the original engine .I would like to find the serial number on the frame to know what year the truck is for sure . The title says 46 but the truck is a 47 or up cab . The number on the door tag is missing and it has a reissued vin .I bought a starter for a 1947 to 1955 and the drive gear is bigger than mine. I am tryng to fugure out what gear or starter I need some one else replaced the engine. Did all the coes come with 235s or did some have a 216 ? The engine starts easy. But every once and awhile if you have to crank more than a turn or 2 the bendix kicks out

Joined: Oct 2008
Posts: 126
O
'Bolter
'Bolter
O Offline
Joined: Oct 2008
Posts: 126
It still can be a 1946, first registered in 1947 & titled as 1947. It happened with Chevy trucks that year. So I have been told...


Darrell, W.L.
1939 Chevy COE tow truck/My Stubbed toe
1939 Chevy 2 door Sedan

Car chat means talks about Chevy's. All other car makers only build transportation.
I don't work on my cars, I entertain my self in my garage, so my nabor tells me.


Joined: Mar 2004
Posts: 6,214
M
'Bolter
'Bolter
M Offline
Joined: Mar 2004
Posts: 6,214
There are no serial numbers on the frame, that didn't start until 1955.

Mike B smile


Mike Boteler

1956 Chevy 3100 Resto Rod
1952 Willys M38 Army Jeep
1983 Jeep CJ7 Laredo
1984 Jeep CJ7
+++++
Silver Spring, MD
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,269
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,269
In 1946/47, the 5000-6000 series trucks had a standard 235 engine.

The 1954 235 is a little different than the 1946-1948 235s.

What is the serial number on the engine (pressed into the block at the rear of the distributor).

Maybe someone knows if the 1954 starter gear matches up with a 1946-47 flywheel (if that is what you have)?

Joined: Dec 2014
Posts: 305
2
'Bolter
'Bolter
2 Offline
Joined: Dec 2014
Posts: 305
I looked up the engine serial number it is a 1954 235 came out of a 150 or 210 with automatic trans thats why I think they are using the flywheel off the original engine

Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,269
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,269
1942-1953 flywheels were the same.

The 1954 flywheel is almost the same - the timing mark is in a different location.

1955 cars and late 1955 trucks had 12v flywheels and they were different - more teeth and could have wider clutch diameter.

Joined: Mar 2011
Posts: 1,146
J
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
J Offline
Joined: Mar 2011
Posts: 1,146
Originally Posted by 29tons
I need a starter drive. I think they used the flywheel off the original engine. I bought a starter for a 1947 to 1955 and the drive gear is bigger than mine. But every once and awhile if you have to crank more than a turn or 2 the Bendix kicks out.
You have to find the original engine's serial numbers to know for sure what kind of flywheel is on the 54 engine.
You might be able to drop the flywheel housing UNDER PAN and spin the flywheel to check for a part number cast into flywheel.

You have to determine if the kicks out problem is coming from the flywheel or the starter.

Is it the new starter that kicks out or is it the old starter?
If it is the old starter it Probably needs a new starter drive "Bendix".

If the drive gear is bigger than yours, they may have sold you the wrong starter.
1929 - 1957 Chevrolet Master Parts & Accessories Catalog shows
Group # 2.086 DRIVE ASSEMBLY., Starter Motor
1938 - 55 All, COMMERCIAL. 6 volt, part # 1873789, Are all the same drive assembles.
Illustration Your starter is the same but without solenoid unless COE has one.
Mechcanical Shift Starter linkage

Joined: Dec 2014
Posts: 305
2
'Bolter
'Bolter
2 Offline
Joined: Dec 2014
Posts: 305
The starter drive that was on the truck when I bought it is the one that kicks out. The guys at classic chevy sold me the new one and it had a larger gear. I also talked to a guy on ebay who had one for sale and told him the problem. He said that 54 235 starters are not interchangeable with older starters. If I understand correctly 38 to 55 commercial should all be the same

Joined: Dec 2014
Posts: 305
2
'Bolter
'Bolter
2 Offline
Joined: Dec 2014
Posts: 305
I just checked ebay there are sevral starter drives for sale with the part number given by jorb . Im going to buy one and try it. I always get good advice on this site Thanks


Moderated by  69Cuda, Super55 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0