The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
3 members (3800GUY, 66flea, 1 invisible), 62 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,109
Posts1,056,572
Members48,448
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: Dec 2016
Posts: 18
M
New Guy
New Guy
M Offline
Joined: Dec 2016
Posts: 18
I have a 1951 Chevy pickup and I am thinking of putting it on a 78 GMC frame. As this frame is 15 ½” longer I was wondering if anyone has extended the cab on their truck? If so what am I in for?

Joined: Mar 2000
Posts: 1,182
Red dot, center of chest ...
Red dot, center of chest ...
Joined: Mar 2000
Posts: 1,182
I saw an AD truck that had a second cab welded on to make it a "crew cab" like modern trucks. If you know how to weld, you can do almost anything.


Paul Schmehl CI 6
geek@stovebolt.com
Stovebolt Staff: Geek
Joined: Dec 2016
Posts: 18
M
New Guy
New Guy
M Offline
Joined: Dec 2016
Posts: 18
I was thinking that if I cut off the existing cab off just behind the door posts and if I can find a second cab and (after measuring) weld the doors shut cut the needed amount in front of the door posts then I would eliminate half of the welding and be able to keep the lines intact.

Joined: Apr 2002
Posts: 2,168
F
Fox Offline
A teacher, but always an apprentice.
A teacher, but always an apprentice.
F Offline
Joined: Apr 2002
Posts: 2,168
If you've never done any sheet metal work before I wouldn't if I were you. I suspect you will very soon be in over your head and will become very frustrated. It takes a lot of skill to do this properly.


1970 Chevrolet C10
Grandpa's -- My first truck -- In progress to shiny
Follow the build in the Project Journal
1950 Chevrolet 1-Ton Dually
"Ole Red Girl"
In the Stovebolt Gallery
More pictures here
1951 GMC 9430 1 ton dually--Shiny! | 1972 Chevrolet C20- Rusty- the puzzle box lid for the C10 | 1962 AMC Rambler American- my wife's
Parts trucks-
1951 GMC 9300 | 1951-GMC 9430 | 1951- Chevrolet 1300
Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 7,441
Bolter
Bolter
Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 7,441
Making an extended cab and/or a double cab is done a lot in the custom circles. Always see 1 or 2 at the larger shows. It takes a pretty skilled metal worker to get it right.


Martin
'62 Chevy C-10 Stepside Shortbed (Restomod in progress)
'47 Chevy 3100 5 Window (long term project)
‘65 Chevy Biscayne (Emily)
‘39 Dodge Business Coupe (Clarence)
“I fought the law and the law won" now I are a retired one!
Support those brave men/women who stand the "Thin Blue Line"! Hug a cop!
USAF 1965-1969 Weather Observation Tech (I got paid to look at the clouds)

Joined: Nov 2005
Posts: 238
S
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
S Offline
Joined: Nov 2005
Posts: 238
If you really want use the GMC frame, it'd surely be easier to shorten the chassis by 15 1/2" rather than do the complex sheet metalwork involved in extending the '51 cab

Joined: Mar 2010
Posts: 10,293
5
Renaissance Man
Renaissance Man
5 Offline
Joined: Mar 2010
Posts: 10,293
You will have issues with the '78 drive train. The wheels will stick out of the fenders quite a bit.


1952 5-window - return to "as built" condition | 1950 3100 with a 235 and a T-5 transmission
Joined: Dec 2016
Posts: 18
M
New Guy
New Guy
M Offline
Joined: Dec 2016
Posts: 18
Thanks for the information guys. I don't want to get in over my head. I would like to make this a 4X4 but will do what ever it takes to get her back on the road.

Joined: Dec 2016
Posts: 18
M
New Guy
New Guy
M Offline
Joined: Dec 2016
Posts: 18
Have you done this before or know of someone who has tried this? Is it possible to get offset rims to compensate for the width problem?

Joined: Jan 2015
Posts: 914
3
'Bolter
'Bolter
3 Offline
Joined: Jan 2015
Posts: 914
Originally Posted by Murphy196
Have you done this before or know of someone who has tried this? Is it possible to get offset rims to compensate for the width problem?

Moving the wheels in may cause clearance problems on the inside of the tires/wheels. Jeffrey

Joined: Feb 2014
Posts: 44
A
'Bolter
'Bolter
A Offline
Joined: Feb 2014
Posts: 44
I would recommend using a narrower frame and save yourself a lot of head aches. I personally hate seeing too wide of a suspension on any type of truck or car.

If you do want to extend your cab, here is a link to my build. I stretched mine 10 inches.

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=592642

Joined: Dec 2016
Posts: 18
M
New Guy
New Guy
M Offline
Joined: Dec 2016
Posts: 18
I wish that I had your skills and a shop like that to work on it. But I will do my best with what I have and build the skills and tool inventory to make the next one better than this one.
Kevin

Joined: Feb 2014
Posts: 44
A
'Bolter
'Bolter
A Offline
Joined: Feb 2014
Posts: 44
I now live in Ruidoso, NM if you ever make it this way. Feel free to give me a holler if I can give a hand or advise.

Joined: Aug 2015
Posts: 1
C
Moderated
Moderated
C Offline
Joined: Aug 2015
Posts: 1
It can be done. I have a '49 extended 23 inches sitting on a mid 80s chassis. 454 auto a/c great driver not a show truck. 402 677-6953 for pics. Clyde915


'49 Chevy 3100 Ext. Cab
'94 GMC C1500 Suburban

Moderated by  Fibonachu, KCMongo 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0