| |
Click on image for the lowdown. 
====
| | |
1 members (Gray_Ghost),
87
guests, and
2
robots. | | Key: Admin,
Global Mod,
Mod | | | Forums66 Topics128,105 Posts1,056,541 Members48,448 | | Most Online14,466 Apr 26th, 2026 | | AD Chevy Trucks Over 6,000 pictures Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips. Check them out!
Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!
| | THANKS!
For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for over 30 years! and not clogged down with Ads! Again, thanks! | | | | Joined: Dec 2016 Posts: 18 New Guy | | New Guy Joined: Dec 2016 Posts: 18 | I have a 1951 Chevy pickup and I am thinking of putting it on a 78 GMC frame. As this frame is 15 ½” longer I was wondering if anyone has extended the cab on their truck? If so what am I in for? | | | | | Joined: Mar 2000 Posts: 1,182 Red dot, center of chest ... | | Red dot, center of chest ... Joined: Mar 2000 Posts: 1,182 | I saw an AD truck that had a second cab welded on to make it a "crew cab" like modern trucks. If you know how to weld, you can do almost anything. | | | | | Joined: Dec 2016 Posts: 18 New Guy | | New Guy Joined: Dec 2016 Posts: 18 | I was thinking that if I cut off the existing cab off just behind the door posts and if I can find a second cab and (after measuring) weld the doors shut cut the needed amount in front of the door posts then I would eliminate half of the welding and be able to keep the lines intact. | | | | | Joined: Apr 2002 Posts: 2,168 A teacher, but always an apprentice. | | A teacher, but always an apprentice. Joined: Apr 2002 Posts: 2,168 | If you've never done any sheet metal work before I wouldn't if I were you. I suspect you will very soon be in over your head and will become very frustrated. It takes a lot of skill to do this properly. | | | | | Joined: Apr 2005 Posts: 7,441 Bolter | | Bolter Joined: Apr 2005 Posts: 7,441 | Making an extended cab and/or a double cab is done a lot in the custom circles. Always see 1 or 2 at the larger shows. It takes a pretty skilled metal worker to get it right.
Martin '62 Chevy C-10 Stepside Shortbed (Restomod in progress) '47 Chevy 3100 5 Window (long term project) ‘65 Chevy Biscayne (Emily) ‘39 Dodge Business Coupe (Clarence) “I fought the law and the law won" now I are a retired one! Support those brave men/women who stand the "Thin Blue Line"! Hug a cop! USAF 1965-1969 Weather Observation Tech (I got paid to look at the clouds)
| | | | | Joined: Nov 2005 Posts: 238 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Nov 2005 Posts: 238 | If you really want use the GMC frame, it'd surely be easier to shorten the chassis by 15 1/2" rather than do the complex sheet metalwork involved in extending the '51 cab | | | | | Joined: Mar 2010 Posts: 10,293 Renaissance Man | | Renaissance Man Joined: Mar 2010 Posts: 10,293 | You will have issues with the '78 drive train. The wheels will stick out of the fenders quite a bit.
1952 5-window - return to "as built" condition | 1950 3100 with a 235 and a T-5 transmission
| | | | | Joined: Dec 2016 Posts: 18 New Guy | | New Guy Joined: Dec 2016 Posts: 18 | Thanks for the information guys. I don't want to get in over my head. I would like to make this a 4X4 but will do what ever it takes to get her back on the road. | | | | | Joined: Dec 2016 Posts: 18 New Guy | | New Guy Joined: Dec 2016 Posts: 18 | Have you done this before or know of someone who has tried this? Is it possible to get offset rims to compensate for the width problem? | | | | | Joined: Jan 2015 Posts: 914 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Jan 2015 Posts: 914 | Have you done this before or know of someone who has tried this? Is it possible to get offset rims to compensate for the width problem? Moving the wheels in may cause clearance problems on the inside of the tires/wheels. Jeffrey | | | | | Joined: Feb 2014 Posts: 44 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Feb 2014 Posts: 44 | I would recommend using a narrower frame and save yourself a lot of head aches. I personally hate seeing too wide of a suspension on any type of truck or car. If you do want to extend your cab, here is a link to my build. I stretched mine 10 inches. http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=592642 | | | | | Joined: Dec 2016 Posts: 18 New Guy | | New Guy Joined: Dec 2016 Posts: 18 | I wish that I had your skills and a shop like that to work on it. But I will do my best with what I have and build the skills and tool inventory to make the next one better than this one. Kevin | | | | | Joined: Feb 2014 Posts: 44 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Feb 2014 Posts: 44 | I now live in Ruidoso, NM if you ever make it this way. Feel free to give me a holler if I can give a hand or advise. | | | | | Joined: Aug 2015 Posts: 1 Moderated | | Moderated Joined: Aug 2015 Posts: 1 | It can be done. I have a '49 extended 23 inches sitting on a mid 80s chassis. 454 auto a/c great driver not a show truck. 402 677-6953 for pics. Clyde915 '49 Chevy 3100 Ext. Cab '94 GMC C1500 Suburban | | |
| |
| |