The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
4 members (Hanks custodian, KEVINSKI, DadsFirstPickup, Ponchogl), 224 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,108
Posts1,056,230
Members48,436
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#1194139 12/06/2016 9:08 PM
Joined: Jul 2008
Posts: 1,321
H
'Bolter
'Bolter
H Offline
Joined: Jul 2008
Posts: 1,321
What is this CLIP used for?

There is one on each side of the dash (under) in the same location.
This is a 1946.
Thanks,
HAROLD


Harold
Is a restoration ever finished?
Joined: Aug 2010
Posts: 775
G
'Bolter
'Bolter
G Offline
Joined: Aug 2010
Posts: 775
Hi Harold; I don't recall my truck having one. Two thoughts: The windshield drain tube and the vacuum line both pass by that spot? Could it be it is pulled out instead of pushed in? Too long ago since I did that.

Joined: Jul 2008
Posts: 1,321
H
'Bolter
'Bolter
H Offline
Joined: Jul 2008
Posts: 1,321
GW,
It is not the drain tube or vacuum line. They both go behind this area. I have both installed already. I see no corresponding "match" on the dash itself.
They must have had a purpose for GM to place one on each side. Just curious!
Harold


Harold
Is a restoration ever finished?
Joined: Aug 2010
Posts: 775
G
'Bolter
'Bolter
G Offline
Joined: Aug 2010
Posts: 775
Maybe the wire loom from the dash gauges?

Joined: Jan 2013
Posts: 45
O
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
O Offline
Joined: Jan 2013
Posts: 45
I am working on two 46 right now and both have the clips on both side of the dash. I think they are use to hold the windlass in place. I could be wrong because I have not installed the windlass on either truck yet, but there is a lot of distant between the area where the windlass has inside molding that holds it down. Good luck Jerry


My first prewar and it will not be my last. Done with the 40 for my best friend. Got a 46 (year I was born) to build for me.
Joined: Jul 2008
Posts: 1,321
H
'Bolter
'Bolter
H Offline
Joined: Jul 2008
Posts: 1,321
Jerry,
Thanks for your comment. I had come to the same conclusion. I placed the new windlass against the clip but have not figured out how to make the attachment. I hope to go see an old unrestored truck next week to see if I can see this area under the dash cover.
What stage are your 2 trucks in?
Harold


Harold
Is a restoration ever finished?
Joined: Nov 2011
Posts: 1,611
P
'Bolter
'Bolter
P Offline
Joined: Nov 2011
Posts: 1,611
Harold,

I looked on my 1941 and 1942 military trucks, and both of them have the clips on both sides. It does not appear like the clip was ever used for anything on either truck.

Paul


1941 Chevy 1 1/2-ton WW2 4x4 dump truck
In the Stovebolt Gallery
Lots more pictures
Joined: Jan 2013
Posts: 45
O
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
O Offline
Joined: Jan 2013
Posts: 45
Harold, one is 90% done and the other one is about 60%. my clips are a lot tighter to the door frame than yours. Good luck Jerry


My first prewar and it will not be my last. Done with the 40 for my best friend. Got a 46 (year I was born) to build for me.
Joined: Feb 2008
Posts: 1,122
4
'Bolter
'Bolter
4 Offline
Joined: Feb 2008
Posts: 1,122
I found the same clips on my '46. Neither appeared to have been bent or crimped to indicate securing anything. I wonder if they were simply an assist of some kind that was used on the factory assembly line. Maybe holding part of the wiring harness out of the way, before being fished through the firewall? Clips on right and left to accommodate right or left builds???

Joined: Jul 2008
Posts: 1,321
H
'Bolter
'Bolter
H Offline
Joined: Jul 2008
Posts: 1,321
Hello all,
I think I have solved the mystery of the clips. I installed my dash today and it was obvious the clips were there to add rigidity to the midsection ends of the dash. The ends rested perfectly on the spring type clips and made everything line up when all the screws were tightened.
Gee, I love a good ending when the mystery is solved!!
Everyone have a very Merry Christmas.
Harold [b][/b]


Harold
Is a restoration ever finished?

Moderated by  klhansen 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0