The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 128 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,077
Posts1,056,280
Members48,441
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#1193202 11/30/2016 11:50 PM
Joined: Nov 2010
Posts: 123
D
'Bolter
'Bolter
D Offline
Joined: Nov 2010
Posts: 123
In wet or dry conditions, if I slam the brakes hard enough, the truck stops very well, but the rear tends to drift almost turning the truck sideways sometimes when I come to a stop. Is this normal for old bolts or should I look into another proportion valve? Im running a 40mm master cyl. With a combination valve and front and rear discs. I'm guessing the rear is locking up slightly more than the front?
Thanks

Last edited by diseasel; 11/30/2016 11:56 PM.

1950 Chevy 3800
4-53T Detroit Diesel conversion
In the Stovebolt Gallery
More pictures in Photobucket
Joined: Dec 2015
Posts: 2,063
Big Bolt Forum Moderator
Big Bolt Forum Moderator
Joined: Dec 2015
Posts: 2,063
since your brakes are not stock, whatever may or may not be "normal for old bolts" does not apply. I would imagine that with an adjustable proportioning valve, you could get it to stop straighter and put a bit more pressure on the fronts.

All that said, bigger trucks are different than passenger cars. Passenger cars and lighter duty trucks, front brakes do most of your braking, larger trucks, the rears do.


Mike
1955 Chevy 6400 ex-flatbed (no bed now!) sold September 2023
In the Stovebolt Gallery
1958 Chevy 6400 flatbed W/dump
In the Stovebolt Gallery
1959 Chevy Suburban Owned for almost 20 years, Daily Driver -- sold May 2016
In the Stovebolt Gallery

Sufficient unto the day is the evil thereof
Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 7,441
Bolter
Bolter
Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 7,441
As Mike suggested above, you need to take some of the rear braking away. About a 60/40 ratio should help your sideways drift. Play with the adjustable proportioning valve til you get it to your liking.


Martin
'62 Chevy C-10 Stepside Shortbed (Restomod in progress)
'47 Chevy 3100 5 Window (long term project)
‘65 Chevy Biscayne (Emily)
‘39 Dodge Business Coupe (Clarence)
“I fought the law and the law won" now I are a retired one!
Support those brave men/women who stand the "Thin Blue Line"! Hug a cop!
USAF 1965-1969 Weather Observation Tech (I got paid to look at the clouds)

Joined: Jun 2011
Posts: 5,096
E
Crusing in the Passing Lane
Crusing in the Passing Lane
E Offline
Joined: Jun 2011
Posts: 5,096
Many 1 ton or so trucks have a prop. valve hooked to the rear axle height with a vertical rod from the axle to the valve, Toyota trucks also, might be wise to look at one.

Ed


'37 GMC T-18 w/ DD 4-53T, RTO-610, 6231 aux., '95 GMC running gear, full disc brakes, power steering, 22.5 wheels and tires.
'47 GMC 1 ton w/ 302, NP-540, 4wd, full width Blazer front axle.
'54 GMC 630 w/ 503 gasser, 5 speed, ex fire truck, shortened WB 4', install 8' bed.
'55 GMC 370 w/270, 420 4 speed, grain, dump bed truck from ND. Works OK.
Joined: Mar 2002
Posts: 9,115
'Bolter
'Bolter
Joined: Mar 2002
Posts: 9,115
I had this problem with my 1 Ton. Since I don't carry loads with my truck, the solution for me was a proportioning valve. The adjustment only allows you to adjust the point at which the valve comes into play, not the ratio.

Some modern light trucks and minivans used the arrangement with the suspension linked to the valve, very successfully. I had a Dodge minivan years ago that had one. The braking didn't seem to change whether the van was full or not.

Last edited by truckernix; 12/01/2016 2:53 PM.

1951 GMC 1 Ton Flatbed -- It is finally on the road and what a great time I have driving it!
1951 1 Ton Completed


My Chevy Master 4 Door is on the Road!
Joined: Feb 2000
Posts: 5,224
J
'Bolter
'Bolter
J Offline
Joined: Feb 2000
Posts: 5,224
I bought an adjustable valve from Speedway Motors similar to this one, http://www.speedwaymotors.com/Speedway-Purple-Proportioning-Valve,23498.html . Its installed at the back of the truck.

Mine did the same as yours, so I took it to the local open parking lot and after about five, 40 mph stops, I had it dialed in. It does make for a heavier brake pedal, but the truck stops straight and I know what it's going to do if I ever really have to stand on the brakes.

Joe

Joined: Jan 2000
Posts: 734
S
'Bolter
'Bolter
S Offline
Joined: Jan 2000
Posts: 734
Waaay back in college, cruisin' through town not paying attention...ugh!!...light turned RED, panic stop but the rears lock up (LEAKY AXLE SEAL!!) drive truck pitched around, sliding sideways through intersection, off the brakes yanked 'er straight and rocketed on through. No cops, no ticket, no collision. Thank God.

Ah, the negligence of youth. Glad to have lived through it!


Matthew 6:33

1952 Chevy 1/2-ton 3100
Late '55 235/SM420/torque tube 3.55
Dalton Highway survivor (using original 216)
www.truckwithaheart.com
Joined: Jul 2000
Posts: 2,195
Insomniac
Insomniac
Joined: Jul 2000
Posts: 2,195
I had a similar experience - spreader bar "somehow" fell off and only one of the rear brakes was working. Going sideways down a major highway is not type of experience I care to repeat.

I would check that both rear brakes are working properly before plumbing in a new proportioning valve!


Gord 🇨🇦
----
1954 1/2 ton 235 4 speed
Joined: May 2005
Posts: 8,878
G
.
.
G Offline
Joined: May 2005
Posts: 8,878
I've had a 1 ton with front and rear disc brakes and no troubles as you describe.

I used the common longish brass GM proportioning valve/distribution block.
I believe they make them for trucks with disc and drums as well as a different one for disc and disc.
Perhaps if you have one already it's not the right one?


•1951 GMC 250 in the Project Journals
•1948 Chevrolet 6400 - Detroit Diesel 4-53T - Roadranger 10 speed overdrive - 4 wheel disc brakes
•1952 Chevrolet 3800 pickup
---All pictures---
"First, get a clear notion of what you desire to accomplish, and then in all probability you will succeed in doing it..." -Henry Maudslay-
Joined: Nov 2010
Posts: 123
D
'Bolter
'Bolter
D Offline
Joined: Nov 2010
Posts: 123
The one I have is a disc/disc combination vavle. The only factor I can think of is that most older 1tons ive seen with a disc rear were associated with a dually axle, maybe that's whats causing the rear to lock up? . Between 35-45 mph It'll track fairly straight when coming to a hard stop, so its very minute. Ill try a proportion vavle and see if it helps


1950 Chevy 3800
4-53T Detroit Diesel conversion
In the Stovebolt Gallery
More pictures in Photobucket

Moderated by  Gdads51 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0