The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
4 members (78buckshot, Simso, Roy Rodgers, Gray_Ghost), 91 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,113
Posts1,056,279
Members48,439
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: Jul 2005
Posts: 2,031
C
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
C Offline
Joined: Jul 2005
Posts: 2,031
I did a search and found some links to TF's but little about basic interior cab parts colors. Are they about the same AD's & TF's? use gray for the column... e-brake, floor,
how about seat frame, seat skirting, seat frame base (metal riser seat support), behind seat/below window??
any thing else I missed? I guess if I'm this far I might as well buy whats right, rather than just making it all one color (as H.F. said - black)
I have a 51 - 3100. When I bought this truck some 5 yrs ago the PO had hit everything w/ grey primer rattle-can, even half the all red wires under the dash when he did the re-wire job.

moos1940 16 April, 2004 06:32 posted this same question 4/04 but no answers to his querie.


Jim & Caroline
The highway is for gamblers, better use your good sense."
Gooday-that's my 1¢ answer due to the lousy economy ~ cause I ain't got - no . mo . doe

Every Shaver | Now Can Snore | Six More Minutes | Than Before ... | Half A Pound for Half a Dollar | Spread On Thin | Above the Collar || BURMA-SHAVE
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,269
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,269
Jim,

For what year truck do you want information?

Tim

Joined: Apr 2003
Posts: 608
S
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
S Offline
Joined: Apr 2003
Posts: 608
Tim in his title thread I think its about AD stuff?

Joined: Jun 2005
Posts: 422
A
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
A Offline
Joined: Jun 2005
Posts: 422
stevesr, I thing what tclederman was trying to say, all AD's interiors werent't painted the same color. He was wanting the year so he could help.

Joined: Apr 2003
Posts: 608
S
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
S Offline
Joined: Apr 2003
Posts: 608
Ah your prob right Tim,s are 54,s
But He,s researched this stuff purty good

Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,269
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,269
Steve,

There were different interior colors in different A-D years (and models). I have information for \'53 & \'54 .

Jim might be looking for '51 information, do you know if '53 interior colors were the same as '51? Maybe 1947-'53 A-D interior colors were the same?

Tim

Joined: Jul 2005
Posts: 2,031
C
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
C Offline
Joined: Jul 2005
Posts: 2,031
51-3100 AD Interior bits


Jim & Caroline
The highway is for gamblers, better use your good sense."
Gooday-that's my 1¢ answer due to the lousy economy ~ cause I ain't got - no . mo . doe

Every Shaver | Now Can Snore | Six More Minutes | Than Before ... | Half A Pound for Half a Dollar | Spread On Thin | Above the Collar || BURMA-SHAVE
Joined: Jan 2001
Posts: 428
B
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
B Offline
Joined: Jan 2001
Posts: 428
Jim,
Here's what I've come across on my 51. The entire seat assembly, except for the cushion frames is the "champaign" interior color. That includes the "skirts", frame, etc. Floor is interior color. E-brake pedal is interior color on the portion that protudes into the interior. Below the floorline it's exterior color. In other words, it was assembled to the cab, the interior was painted, then the exterior. The part that bolts to the pedal arm that the footpad slips onto was black. The rear cab wall was also interior color, but on mine the fuel tank was installed before spraying the interior. Therefor, behind the gas tank it was just primer. Same with the fuel tank, the side facing out was hit with color, the side facing the rear cab wall was unpainted. These trucks were assembled as much as possible at the factory before any color was sprayed.

Bob

Joined: Aug 2000
Posts: 587
B
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
B Offline
Joined: Aug 2000
Posts: 587
According to Bob Adler, the steering column was DuPont 8540 or PPG 27627, which is a brown color. Most people it seems goes with the cab interior color for the column. But I did my steering wheel and column with Bob's advice. And I only have one reason why I think it is correct. It is the same color as the reproduction horn buttons, which are made either by GM or under license, so should be correct. I figure the steering wheel color would match the horn button.

Joined: Dec 2004
Posts: 452
X
Member
Member
X Offline
Joined: Dec 2004
Posts: 452
Check this page from Tim's site, which is a page from the Chevrolet Service News that shows the '50-'53 interior paint specs.

In the '47 Engineering Features book, the base interior color was referred to as a silver gray. Exactly which gray that was (and its exact name) is unclear, but all painted interior bits were the same color (including the steering column, wheel, and horn button), except the raised ribs of the speaker grille, ash tray, and glove box door, which were a slightly lighter shade of the silver gray. That assumes that what was published is what was actually done.

I found a '49 Dupont paint chart that lists three different interior colors--Gray, Metal Gray Met., and Sheen Gray Met., but no mention of which was used where. That CSN page seems to suggest that maybe there was a change in '50, though there is no mention in the '48-'53 Engineering Features books of any interior color changes for the trucks (excluding panels and 'burbs).

At any rate, Jim's correct interior paint scheme would depend on whether his truck is an early or late '51, and exactly when the division between early and late was.


Curt
----
1953 Chevy 6400, 1957 Chevy 2dr Sedan
--"Mediocrity is easy, the good things take time"
Joined: Mar 2004
Posts: 44
3
Member
Member
3 Offline
Joined: Mar 2004
Posts: 44
Wow! Tim has the most extensive collection of 54 information that I've run across on the web. Thanks for putting that out there to share. It was really neat looking at those old images of the various models.
Thanks!
Jon


1954 Chevy 3100 Panel Truck
2004 GMC Yukon
2002 Chevy 1500 4X4
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom, must, like men, undergo the fatigues of supporting it."
Thomas Paine, The American Crisis, No. 4, September 11, 1777
Joined: Dec 2004
Posts: 452
X
Member
Member
X Offline
Joined: Dec 2004
Posts: 452
I revisited the old thread where Pakrat48 obtained and posted the '47-'53 AD interior color codes from Bob Adler ( see here ).

As Brian mentioned above, Bob says that the steering column and wheel are a different shade than the rest of the interior. 5253Chevyman seemed to find that that was the case in his truck ( see other interior color thread ). AD_Pickup thought his interior was all the same color. Chevy's own info, which I cited above, suggests everything in the interior was the same color (except for part of the dash thru early '51), including the steering column and wheel.

Whom to believe??? :confused:


Curt
----
1953 Chevy 6400, 1957 Chevy 2dr Sedan
--"Mediocrity is easy, the good things take time"

Moderated by  klhansen 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0