Click on image for the lowdown. 
====
| | | Forums66 Topics128,113 Posts1,056,618 Members48,450 | | Most Online14,466 Apr 26th, 2026 | | AD Chevy Trucks Over 6,000 pictures Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips. Check them out!
Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!
| | THANKS!
For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for over 30 years! and not clogged down with Ads! Again, thanks! | | | | Joined: Oct 2006 Posts: 1,847 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Oct 2006 Posts: 1,847 | I bought a garden shed and had planned to take it with the old truck, I figured it would weigh around 500-600 lbs, but it turns out it weighs 1300. I have had around 2300 lbs in the truck once or twice, (I didn't realize all that flooring weighed all that much till I got home and read the receipt.) but that was for a 3 or 4 mile trip, this will be 150 miles.... | | | | | Joined: Feb 2004 Posts: 29,836 Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer) | | Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer) Joined: Feb 2004 Posts: 29,836 | How wide is the shed? It it's over 8 feet or so, you'll need a special permit to haul it. It might be wiser to use a 2-axle trailer and pull it with the truck. You'll probably have enough rear overhang to lighten up the steering and make it a little unstable for a long haul. Jerry
"It is better to be silent and be thought a fool than to speak and eliminate all doubt!" - Abraham Lincoln Cringe and wail in fear, Eloi- - - - -we Morlocks are on the hunt! There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. - Ernest Hemingway Love your enemies and drive 'em nuts!
| | | | | Joined: Sep 2001 Posts: 29,270 Bubba - Curmudgeon | | Bubba - Curmudgeon Joined: Sep 2001 Posts: 29,270 | What kind of speed, roads/lanes, turns, and grades/inclines?
You will have consider the load related to up/down grades and turns/swerving - power, brakes/stopping, springs, steering considerations. | | | | | Joined: Oct 2006 Posts: 1,847 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Oct 2006 Posts: 1,847 | oh, it is kit, it comes in a 4x8x about 2 foot tall package. there isn't much for grade either way. It will be freeway, I can stay in the slow lane early on a weekend which is how I usually do it with the truck. But the trailer idea kind of appeals to me. All except for the 6 volt part, there would be no trailer braking available, or lights. Maybe I will load it up and drive around the neighborhood a bit to get an idea. | | | | | Joined: Apr 2005 Posts: 7,441 Bolter | | Bolter Joined: Apr 2005 Posts: 7,441 | 6 volt bulbs @ $10 and run w/o brakes. Truck should handle the trailer just fine. I would think loaded directly in the bed would as HRL suggested be a bit tail heavy with 2 foot hanging out the back. 
Martin '62 Chevy C-10 Stepside Shortbed (Restomod in progress) '47 Chevy 3100 5 Window (long term project) ‘65 Chevy Biscayne (Emily) ‘39 Dodge Business Coupe (Clarence) “I fought the law and the law won" now I are a retired one! Support those brave men/women who stand the "Thin Blue Line"! Hug a cop! USAF 1965-1969 Weather Observation Tech (I got paid to look at the clouds)
| | | | | Joined: Oct 2006 Posts: 1,847 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Oct 2006 Posts: 1,847 | after extensive research into the cost and trouble of getting a trailer and setting up the truck to tow the trailer, I'm just going to rent a truck. Thanks for all the suggestions. | | | | | Joined: Feb 2004 Posts: 29,836 Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer) | | Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer) Joined: Feb 2004 Posts: 29,836 | Good plan! One mishap could cost several times a rental fee, not to mention injuries, etc. Jerry
"It is better to be silent and be thought a fool than to speak and eliminate all doubt!" - Abraham Lincoln Cringe and wail in fear, Eloi- - - - -we Morlocks are on the hunt! There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. - Ernest Hemingway Love your enemies and drive 'em nuts!
| | | | | Joined: Mar 2010 Posts: 10,294 Renaissance Man | | Renaissance Man Joined: Mar 2010 Posts: 10,294 | I hauled 1600 pounds of bagged fertilizer on a pallet 100 miles on Interstate 64 from Virginia Beach to Richmond, VA in a bone stock '52 3100 (6 volts, 216, bias ply tires), and couldn't even tell it was back there. I got 15.0 MPG loaded on the way there and 15.0 MPG on the way back empty.
1952 5-window - return to "as built" condition | 1950 3100 with a 235 and a T-5 transmission
| | | | | Joined: Sep 2001 Posts: 29,270 Bubba - Curmudgeon | | Bubba - Curmudgeon Joined: Sep 2001 Posts: 29,270 | How fast were you driving between Richmond and Williamsburg, Carl? | | | | | Joined: Oct 2006 Posts: 1,847 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Oct 2006 Posts: 1,847 | it will cost $134 to rent a 12 foot box van, vs $400 for the cheapest trailer I could find that would handle the load, plus tapping into my brand new wiring harness, buying the ball, the safety chains, etc. I'll just rent a truck.
| | |
| |