The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
5 members (Ridgeback, Otto Skorzeny, 39Master85, 1955 1 Series, Hanks custodian), 80 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,079
Posts1,056,286
Members48,441
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: Jul 2005
Posts: 946
J
'Bolter
'Bolter
J Offline
Joined: Jul 2005
Posts: 946
I ordered a couple doors coated with black EDP primer. I was wondering if I can spray 2-Part Urethane Primer over the EDP coating? I have raw steel parts that I am treating with 2-part etch primer and 2-part urethane primer and want to stick with the same primer under the paint. Any help would be appreciated.

Also, is epoxy primer better than applying 2-part etch primer then 2-part urethane primer? I heard the epoxy primer is hard to sand and that is why I went with the etch/urethane system.

Thanks, Michael

Joined: Dec 2005
Posts: 23
V
Ven Offline
Apprentice
Apprentice
V Offline
Joined: Dec 2005
Posts: 23
Either route will be fine...Epoxy primer etches but also has some build to it (so it can be blocked)Also it is not porous where it will absorb moisture
Etching primer has no build to it but etches to bare metal very well. It IS porous.
They both can be followed up with a 2k primer.
With bare metal I prefer to etch, then epoxy then 2k primer. This will yield very good adhesion and plenty of build for prep.


¿ÐíÐ Ï Hí‡ †hŇ?
Joined: Jul 2005
Posts: 946
J
'Bolter
'Bolter
J Offline
Joined: Jul 2005
Posts: 946
Ven,
Thanks for the info. I'm glad to know I'm not about to make a big mistake by spraying 2-part primer over the EDP! Where in Florida are you? Not too many of use down here.

Michael

Joined: Dec 2005
Posts: 23
V
Ven Offline
Apprentice
Apprentice
V Offline
Joined: Dec 2005
Posts: 23
No Problem. Tampa


¿ÐíÐ Ï Hí‡ †hŇ?
Joined: Dec 2004
Posts: 425
O
'Bolter
'Bolter
O Offline
Joined: Dec 2004
Posts: 425
make sure you scuff that edp coating really well, around the edges especially. Epoxy primer works well, but is a pain in the butt to sand, but if you went over it with a high build primer like ven said, it will be nice.

Joined: Aug 2004
Posts: 1,067
H
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
H Offline
Joined: Aug 2004
Posts: 1,067
Just curious, why do you want to reprime the EDP primed surfaces on brand new panels? Unless they got some dings on them in shipping, they should be just about perfect and ready for paint. The EDP makes a fine primer as it is for paint adhesion.


52 GMC 3/4 ton pickup
68 Big Block Vette
68 455 Firebird
Joined: Jul 2005
Posts: 946
J
'Bolter
'Bolter
J Offline
Joined: Jul 2005
Posts: 946
I knew that question would come up. These things are made in Tiawan and I want to make absolutely sure they are straight. I want this to be perfect.

And wouldn't be better to apply final paint to the same type of primer? Not sure if I am being paranoid but maybe the chemical composition of the EDP is different than the 2-part urethane and it may cause problems with the paint later?

Michael

Joined: Dec 2005
Posts: 23
V
Ven Offline
Apprentice
Apprentice
V Offline
Joined: Dec 2005
Posts: 23
I would definitly sand them and throw some 2K at them. Ive seen adhesion problems as well as wrinkling problems with lesser epoxy primers. Run over them with 320 prime with 2K scuff with 400 and paint for best results. Also its better to have a bad chemical reaction with primer than with your base/clear


¿ÐíÐ Ï Hí‡ †hŇ?

Moderated by  klhansen 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0