The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
2 members (Gray_Ghost, RoseB), 153 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,089
Posts1,056,141
Members48,436
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#1188555 10/28/2016 2:17 AM
Joined: Sep 2016
Posts: 17
N
New Guy
New Guy
N Offline
Joined: Sep 2016
Posts: 17
When I bought my 51 GMC it came without keys. I ordered a new AC Delco ignition tumbler and key from Rock Auto and it came in this afternoon. I read all the posts on replacing the switch - you either need the old key or a locksmith. Just for kicks, I put the new key in the door and it worked, crossed my fingers, put it in the ignition and it worked there, too. Kind of surprised me that both worked because the door is off a pre-51 truck. My lucky day...

NoJunker #1188563 10/28/2016 2:58 AM
Joined: Mar 2010
Posts: 10,280
5
Renaissance Man
Renaissance Man
5 Offline
Joined: Mar 2010
Posts: 10,280
I have run into that before. I have also not run into that before. Maybe they only made a few different lock tumbler sequences. I have also had ignitions which could be turned on with a screwdriver, so who knows?


1952 5-window - return to "as built" condition | 1950 3100 with a 235 and a T-5 transmission
NoJunker #1188584 10/28/2016 4:30 AM
Joined: Dec 2015
Posts: 2,063
Big Bolt Forum Moderator
Big Bolt Forum Moderator
Joined: Dec 2015
Posts: 2,063
I would probably use the new ignition switch or at least replace the cylinder so it is all new and not worn inside at all... that is lucky though, saves a lot of $$ not having to get anything re-keyed!


Mike
1955 Chevy 6400 ex-flatbed (no bed now!) sold September 2023
In the Stovebolt Gallery
1958 Chevy 6400 flatbed W/dump
In the Stovebolt Gallery
1959 Chevy Suburban Owned for almost 20 years, Daily Driver -- sold May 2016
In the Stovebolt Gallery

Sufficient unto the day is the evil thereof
69Cuda #1188754 10/29/2016 11:19 PM
Joined: Sep 2016
Posts: 17
N
New Guy
New Guy
N Offline
Joined: Sep 2016
Posts: 17
I put the new one in today -- love weekends.


Moderated by  Gdads51 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0