| |
Click on image for the lowdown. 
====
| | | Forums66 Topics128,099 Posts1,056,168 Members48,436 | | Most Online14,466 Apr 26th, 2026 | | AD Chevy Trucks Over 6,000 pictures Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips. Check them out!
Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!
| | THANKS!
For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for over 30 years! and not clogged down with Ads! Again, thanks! | | | | Joined: Sep 2016 Posts: 17 New Guy | | New Guy Joined: Sep 2016 Posts: 17 | When I bought my 51 GMC it came without keys. I ordered a new AC Delco ignition tumbler and key from Rock Auto and it came in this afternoon. I read all the posts on replacing the switch - you either need the old key or a locksmith. Just for kicks, I put the new key in the door and it worked, crossed my fingers, put it in the ignition and it worked there, too. Kind of surprised me that both worked because the door is off a pre-51 truck. My lucky day... | | | | | Joined: Mar 2010 Posts: 10,280 Renaissance Man | | Renaissance Man Joined: Mar 2010 Posts: 10,280 | I have run into that before. I have also not run into that before. Maybe they only made a few different lock tumbler sequences. I have also had ignitions which could be turned on with a screwdriver, so who knows?
1952 5-window - return to "as built" condition | 1950 3100 with a 235 and a T-5 transmission
| | | | | Joined: Dec 2015 Posts: 2,063 Big Bolt Forum Moderator | | Big Bolt Forum Moderator Joined: Dec 2015 Posts: 2,063 | I would probably use the new ignition switch or at least replace the cylinder so it is all new and not worn inside at all... that is lucky though, saves a lot of $$ not having to get anything re-keyed!
| | | | | Joined: Sep 2016 Posts: 17 New Guy | | New Guy Joined: Sep 2016 Posts: 17 | I put the new one in today -- love weekends. | | |
| |
| |