The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
3 members (JW51, 49choptop, Patina 54), 210 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,098
Posts1,056,167
Members48,436
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#1180999 09/03/2016 5:24 PM
Joined: Jul 2014
Posts: 19
1
'Bolter
'Bolter
1 Offline
Joined: Jul 2014
Posts: 19
Hey guys,
I pulled the original wiper motor out of my 1957 GMC, took it apart, greased/lubricated everything & put it back together. I then reinstalled it & hooked it up to the fuse box with the one hit wire coming out of the motor. It's a 12v motor & a 12v system, but it keeps blowing fuses. I was finally able to get it to stay on after instilling a 25amp fuse, but then after running it for s few min it is super hot. So I took the fuse out to let it cool & to prevent my truck from self igniting. Does anybody know why this is happening. Is it a bad motor. Do I need some type of voltage reducer inline. Is there something I can do to correct this. I know it would be easier to just buy a new one, but I'm on a tight budget & I like to fix old things & keep them working. Any help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.
Josh

Joined: Feb 2002
Posts: 12,029
F
Cruising in the Passing Lane
Cruising in the Passing Lane
F Offline
Joined: Feb 2002
Posts: 12,029
obviously something is bad, either electrically in the actual motor, or mechanically, causing extreme loading on the poor thing .... no voltage reducer, should be 12V if factory original .... I'd suggest running the motor out of the truck to see if it draws too many amps and if it gets hot - if so, time for a new motor

Bill



Moved over to the Passing Lane

"When we tug a single thing in nature, we find it attached to the rest of the world" ~ John Muir
"When we tug a single thing on an old truck, we find it falls off" ~ me
Some TF series details & TF heater pics
Joined: Jul 2014
Posts: 19
1
'Bolter
'Bolter
1 Offline
Joined: Jul 2014
Posts: 19
I pulled the motor & opened it up. I don't see any frayed wires. The hrushes do seem a little worn. Where can I get brushes for this motor? Any other suggestions?
Thanks

Joined: Jul 2014
Posts: 19
1
'Bolter
'Bolter
1 Offline
Joined: Jul 2014
Posts: 19
How do I test the amps & how many Amps should there be. Sorry not the best with electrical. I do have a voltage meter. Just need to know what setting & how many Amps & where to test the leads.
Thanks

Joined: Feb 2002
Posts: 12,029
F
Cruising in the Passing Lane
Cruising in the Passing Lane
F Offline
Joined: Feb 2002
Posts: 12,029
need to consult an auto electric shop about brushes ... if the amp rating isn't on a tag on the motor, it may be in the shop manual, 25 sounds very high to me, and "super hot" is too many

Bill



Moved over to the Passing Lane

"When we tug a single thing in nature, we find it attached to the rest of the world" ~ John Muir
"When we tug a single thing on an old truck, we find it falls off" ~ me
Some TF series details & TF heater pics

Moderated by  Jon G, Rusty Rod 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0