The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
1 members (RLB), 95 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,090
Posts1,056,378
Members48,442
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: Apr 2009
Posts: 40
C
'Bolter
'Bolter
C Offline
Joined: Apr 2009
Posts: 40
Hi Guys , I have a 1961 Chevy 235 in my 1948 Chevy 3100 Panel Truck . It ran quiet and powerful until last week . The motor has 55,000 miles on it .I was driving about 35 mph and slowed for a red light .Just as I stopped I heard this loud metal noise and the motor started to shutter .I shut it off.I got out and looked to see if something was busted ,because it sounded like it . I saw nothing ,so I started it up and moved it to a parking lot . The motor was shuttering . I got it AAAd home on a flatbed .I took the oil pan and side cover off and I didn't find anything out of the ordinary . The oil pressure dropped about 10 pounds . Could the problem be in the head ? Thanks for any advice!!!

Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 29,826
H
Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer)
Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer)
H Offline
Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 29,826
Pull the valve cover and check for broken valve springs. Also, while the oil pan is off, drop the caps off the rods one at a time and inspect the bearings. Ditto for the main bearings, although if you remove the rear main cap you'll probably have to replace the oil seal. A bad bearing doesn't always show any outward signs until it's really in terrible condition. Losing oil pressure is usually a sign of excessive rod or main bearing clearance.
Jerry


"It is better to be silent and be thought a fool than to speak and eliminate all doubt!" - Abraham Lincoln
Cringe and wail in fear, Eloi- - - - -we Morlocks are on the hunt!
There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. - Ernest Hemingway
Love your enemies and drive 'em nuts!
Joined: Apr 2009
Posts: 40
C
'Bolter
'Bolter
C Offline
Joined: Apr 2009
Posts: 40
No valve springs are broken and the compression is 125 pounds in all 6 cylinders . BUT I'll check all the bearings .... Thanks

Joined: Apr 2009
Posts: 40
C
'Bolter
'Bolter
C Offline
Joined: Apr 2009
Posts: 40
No valve springs are broken and the compression is 125 pounds in all 6 cylinders . BUT I'll check all the bearings .... Thanks


Moderated by  Phak1, Woogeroo 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0