The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
8 members (TS3600, cmayna, Opelika Tom, Otto Skorzeny, TexasJim50, klhansen, Shaffer's1950, Oswald), 56 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,077
Posts1,056,281
Members48,441
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#1177369 08/09/2016 9:21 AM
Joined: Jan 2015
Posts: 208
B
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
B Offline
Joined: Jan 2015
Posts: 208
I am installing a SM465 in my 49 1-ton, the SM465 is a 1987 model and has the rear mount. I purchased a V8 engine & transmission crossmember kit a while back but the transmission crossmember is for a TH350/400 automatic. Other than the mounting holes being different is there any reason I can not use the automatic crossmember? Any Height or angle issues?
Thoughts?


1949-52 Chevy 3800 1-Ton Flatbed
In the Stovebolt Gallery
More pix on Photobucket
Joined: May 2005
Posts: 8,878
G
.
.
G Offline
Joined: May 2005
Posts: 8,878
What engine are you using and or will you be using the factory crossmember and mounts on the flywheel housing?
2wd or 4wd?


•1951 GMC 250 in the Project Journals
•1948 Chevrolet 6400 - Detroit Diesel 4-53T - Roadranger 10 speed overdrive - 4 wheel disc brakes
•1952 Chevrolet 3800 pickup
---All pictures---
"First, get a clear notion of what you desire to accomplish, and then in all probability you will succeed in doing it..." -Henry Maudslay-
Joined: Jan 2015
Posts: 208
B
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
B Offline
Joined: Jan 2015
Posts: 208
Grigg,
It will be a 283, I was able to leave the factory crossmember in but this is a newer sm465 with the rear mount and alum bell housing. Its a 2wd.

http://i1062.photobucket.com/albums...7-409D-A15C-585C95F67DDF_zpswoqloxz3.jpg

Last edited by Blind1968; 08/09/2016 9:09 PM.

1949-52 Chevy 3800 1-Ton Flatbed
In the Stovebolt Gallery
More pix on Photobucket
Joined: May 2005
Posts: 8,878
G
.
.
G Offline
Joined: May 2005
Posts: 8,878
Sounds like you have to use a rear transmission crossmember, and I'm assuming the side mounts for the engine.
I was concerned that you were setting out to use all the original stovebolt mounts and add a rear transmission mount which would be invitation for vibration and cracked housings. Engines and transmissions should only be mounted at 3 points (with a few exceptions).

You'll need to consider driveline angles.
tech tip http://www.stovebolt.com/techtips/driveline/setup/index.html
Another Link to the manual (if temporarily broken in the tech tip)
http://media.spicerparts.com/media/details/kH7StMRqGZ9kzxSZM

If the new engine is at the same angle as your old relative to the frame then likely the angles will work out well, if not then you can adjust things to suit.

Seems you could use whichever mount fits the crossmember or transmission and adapt with new holes or an adapter block/plate on the opposite side.


•1951 GMC 250 in the Project Journals
•1948 Chevrolet 6400 - Detroit Diesel 4-53T - Roadranger 10 speed overdrive - 4 wheel disc brakes
•1952 Chevrolet 3800 pickup
---All pictures---
"First, get a clear notion of what you desire to accomplish, and then in all probability you will succeed in doing it..." -Henry Maudslay-
Joined: Jan 2015
Posts: 208
B
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
B Offline
Joined: Jan 2015
Posts: 208
Awesome, Thank you Grigg! Yes I bought the V8 & automatic trans conversion tubed crossmember kit. I have not seen an aftermarket Manual crossmember for the SM465 so I plan on using the automatic crossmember from the kit.

I will have to play around with the rear mount as the transmission originally had the single bolt mount and the crossmember plate being set up for a th350 has the two bolt mounting holes in it.

So if I understand correctly when using a multiple shaft setup the engine and transmission will be level then the half-shaft will be 1 to 1.5 deg obtained by shimming the carrier bearing as needed. I will have to check the stock pinion angle on the 14 bolt axle.

Last edited by Blind1968; 08/10/2016 5:01 AM.

1949-52 Chevy 3800 1-Ton Flatbed
In the Stovebolt Gallery
More pix on Photobucket

Moderated by  Dusty53, SWEET 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0