The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
6 members (Hotrod Lincoln, TUTS 59, Guitplayer, IHPWR, Gray_Ghost, Otto Skorzeny), 180 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,108
Posts1,056,227
Members48,436
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: Aug 2006
Posts: 486
J
'Bolter
'Bolter
J Offline
Joined: Aug 2006
Posts: 486
I'll soon be putting an MY6 transmission into my 68 gmc. It will be replacing a 4 sp muncie. I understand that the input shaft is the same and the length is the same but I don't know if the output shaft is the same; I think the splines may be different. Will I need a different yoke? If so, what do I need and where can I find it? I'd like to have all my parts ready before I get started. Thanks.

Jeff


'64 swb stepside (gone)
'57 1 ton
'53 phone truck
'59 swb
'46 1 1/2 ton
'68 swb gmc
Joined: Jan 2013
Posts: 1,084
A
'Bolter
'Bolter
A Offline
Joined: Jan 2013
Posts: 1,084
Jeff, I believe that MY6 tranny is the GM code for the Mopar designed A-833 new process 4 speed with OD. Used in many Dodge/Chrysler vehicles and late model GM pickups. There is a whole chapter devoted to that transfer in the book "THE CLASSIC CHEVY TRUCK HANDBOOK". See link. I'm planning the same swapout, so please let us know how you make out.
https://www.amazon.com/Classic-Chev...eywords=the+classic+chevy+truck+handbook


Allen
Yeah, well, that's just like, you know , your opinion, man - The Dude

1948 Chevy 3600 - goal Original restoration, Current Stage 1 - Disassembly and getting body in primer
1954 GMC 3100 goal Hot Rod, Current Stage 1 - Get body in primer
1931 Ford Model A 5 window Coupe - Old Skool Hot Rod
1945 Ford 2N Tractor - Runs great
1964 Ford 2000 Tractor - Use it every week
1974 Stingray Corvette

Joined: Aug 2006
Posts: 486
J
'Bolter
'Bolter
J Offline
Joined: Aug 2006
Posts: 486
Thanks Allen. I actually have that book and refer to it often since the Task Force trucks are my favorite. All it says about the slip yoke is that it's 23 spline and used on some other GM applications. I was hoping to find out what those applications are to know where to look for a yoke. I'm going to count the splines on the output shaft of my transmission to verify before buying anything. I've found a few inaccuracies in that book, especially the chapter on the OD transmission, so I don't want to spend any money without verifying that I'm getting the right part. Just yesterday I found someone on CL that's parting out a chevy truck with an MY6 transmission. He has agreed to sell me the slip yoke for $20 so maybe I'll have what I need. If I can find a part number for it I'll post it. Thanks.


'64 swb stepside (gone)
'57 1 ton
'53 phone truck
'59 swb
'46 1 1/2 ton
'68 swb gmc
Joined: Feb 2001
Posts: 1,094
T
'Bolter
'Bolter
T Offline
Joined: Feb 2001
Posts: 1,094
Probably the same yoke that was used on many gm transmissions, 3+4 speed muncies, saginaws and 350 turbo automatic trans.


Tommy
59 apache 1/2t
261 short stepside
Joined: Jan 2013
Posts: 1,084
A
'Bolter
'Bolter
A Offline
Joined: Jan 2013
Posts: 1,084
Great Jeff....wait a while to see if anyone has the answer here. If not my tranny guy (Kajun Jon - google him for the number, he has a website) that rebuilds all types of transmissions, with focus on manuals. I've visited with him many times at our local swap meet, and he is very knowledgeable.


Allen
Yeah, well, that's just like, you know , your opinion, man - The Dude

1948 Chevy 3600 - goal Original restoration, Current Stage 1 - Disassembly and getting body in primer
1954 GMC 3100 goal Hot Rod, Current Stage 1 - Get body in primer
1931 Ford Model A 5 window Coupe - Old Skool Hot Rod
1945 Ford 2N Tractor - Runs great
1964 Ford 2000 Tractor - Use it every week
1974 Stingray Corvette

Joined: Aug 2006
Posts: 486
J
'Bolter
'Bolter
J Offline
Joined: Aug 2006
Posts: 486
Thanks for the info Allen. If the one I ordered from the CL guy doesn't fit I'll give Kajun Jon a try. By the way, I counted the splines last night; 27. Another error in the book. The book says all OD transmissions have aluminum cases and the cast iron cases are 1:1 final drive. It also says all cast iron case transmissions have 18 splines and the aluminum case trannies have 23 splines. My transmission may be an odd ball but it has OD, cast iron case, and 27 splines. These books are great but it always pays to verify before spending $.

Jeff


'64 swb stepside (gone)
'57 1 ton
'53 phone truck
'59 swb
'46 1 1/2 ton
'68 swb gmc
Joined: Feb 2002
Posts: 12,029
F
Cruising in the Passing Lane
Cruising in the Passing Lane
F Offline
Joined: Feb 2002
Posts: 12,029
Jeff, the book is no doubt referring to pre-68 trans, which use a "coarse spline" yoke, as opposed to the later trans [like your 68] that use a "fine spline" yoke [title says 55-60 trucks] .... if the MY6 is pre-68 yu'll need the coarse spline, post-67 you'd need the fine spline, check a wrecking yard, maybe even a FLAPS

Bill


Moved over to the Passing Lane

"When we tug a single thing in nature, we find it attached to the rest of the world" ~ John Muir
"When we tug a single thing on an old truck, we find it falls off" ~ me
Some TF series details & TF heater pics
Joined: Aug 2006
Posts: 486
J
'Bolter
'Bolter
J Offline
Joined: Aug 2006
Posts: 486
I googled "27 spline yoke" and found some ads for some that say they fit muncie transmissions. Maybe I'll get lucky and the drive shaft I've got will fit right on it. I can always hope. smile


'64 swb stepside (gone)
'57 1 ton
'53 phone truck
'59 swb
'46 1 1/2 ton
'68 swb gmc

Moderated by  Dusty53, SWEET 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0