The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
5 members (Eileen, Mike'sPlace, Maybellene, Uncles51, 1 invisible), 91 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,079
Posts1,056,296
Members48,441
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: Oct 2009
Posts: 49
J
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
J Offline
Joined: Oct 2009
Posts: 49
When I hook a direct line from the engine to the oil gauge, I read oil pressure. I mounted the remote bypass oil filter to the firewall, tee off the inlet line to the gauge and hook the filter return to a port on the block I think is the return, I read no oil pressure. I hear no rods knocking so I must have pressure.I am open to Any helpful Ideas to correct this.pictures help.
Thanks
John Baker
[email protected].

Joined: May 2005
Posts: 8,878
G
.
.
G Offline
Joined: May 2005
Posts: 8,878
Pictures of what you have would be useful.

Depending on the filter/ fittings/ cannister you have there may not be any restriction in the bypass oil filter. A restriction is needed so as to not rob the engine of too much oil pressure.

If there is no restriction the gauge won't register any pressure, same as it would not register if connected straight to the crankcase, or in the oil return line, or anywhere after the restricted fitting if there is one.

Grigg


•1951 GMC 250 in the Project Journals
•1948 Chevrolet 6400 - Detroit Diesel 4-53T - Roadranger 10 speed overdrive - 4 wheel disc brakes
•1952 Chevrolet 3800 pickup
---All pictures---
"First, get a clear notion of what you desire to accomplish, and then in all probability you will succeed in doing it..." -Henry Maudslay-
Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 29,821
H
Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer)
Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer)
H Offline
Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 29,821
Are you using an original equipment type oil filter, or an adapter for a spin-on filter? If you're using a spin-on, you'll need to put a 1/16" diameter restrictor orfice in the return line. Otherwise, virtually all the oil will get routed through the filter and back into the oil pan, and very little will get to the engine. that's a guaranteed oil starvation situation as soon as you get on the road with any load on the engine.

It's simpler, and a lot smarter to use the original style canister filter.
Jerry



"It is better to be silent and be thought a fool than to speak and eliminate all doubt!" - Abraham Lincoln
Cringe and wail in fear, Eloi- - - - -we Morlocks are on the hunt!
There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. - Ernest Hemingway
Love your enemies and drive 'em nuts!
Joined: Dec 2003
Posts: 1,061
M
'Bolter
'Bolter
M Offline
Joined: Dec 2003
Posts: 1,061
What is the diameter of the bill filter? I have a new one in a canister and it seems to fit really tight. It is 4 1/2 diameter.


1946 1-ton Panel
1952 1-ton Comml. W/Grain Body
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,269
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,269
" . . tee off the inlet line to the gauge and hook the filter return to a port on the block . . "

If your inlet line is from the rearward port in the block, and your gauge is on a T on the inlet line, your blockage must be in the T or in the line to the T (you reported that the sender line directly connected from the engine-block to gauge gave a reading?).

Disconnect the line from the engine-block to the T, at the T, and crank a little to if oil squirts out that line.

If it does, connect that line to the T, with neither outlet line connected to the T, and crank a little to see if oil squirts out the T.

If it does, connect the sender to the T, and crank a little to see if oil squirts out the T.

If it does, block the port on the T that goes to the filter, crank the engine and see if the gauge reads pressure.

If it does not, that pressure line to the gauge is now blocked.

If there is a pressure reading at the gauge, I am lost - if you now connect a line from the T to the filter, you should still get a reading at the gauge.

Joined: Oct 2009
Posts: 49
J
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
J Offline
Joined: Oct 2009
Posts: 49
I regret that I don't have a photo. It is a stock 235 with fenton dual exhaust and offy two carb intake. The oil filter appears to be a stock one that came with the truck. It won't fit on the manifolds thus the firewall mount. I gather that the stock oil filter canister has the restriction built in.??
I will reassemble, checking for flow at each connection.
Thanks for your input.

Joined: Oct 2009
Posts: 49
J
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
J Offline
Joined: Oct 2009
Posts: 49
pretty sure it is original equiptment. I will check my plumbing job.
Thanks
JB

Joined: Oct 2009
Posts: 49
J
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
J Offline
Joined: Oct 2009
Posts: 49
I will check the plumbing. Thanks for the input.


Moderated by  Phak1, Woogeroo 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0