The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
3 members (baldeagle, Shade Baby, 1 invisible), 94 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,125
Posts1,056,336
Members48,439
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: Oct 2015
Posts: 12
B
New Guy
New Guy
B Offline
Joined: Oct 2015
Posts: 12
Getting to the point my heat riser valve shaft is stuck, but the upside is the valve itself is hanging loose on the shaft.

How does the valve attach to the shaft? I've read that is brazed to the shaft but this is just flapping in the breeze.

Reading the forums I understand the issues with a stuck valve system, but if the valve is loose could I let that issue slide until later? What I don't want to do is wreck anything but I'd like to get the truck together and running before tearing it apart.

Joined: Mar 2016
Posts: 225
K
'Bolter
'Bolter
K Offline
Joined: Mar 2016
Posts: 225
1951 3100

Just re-did mine on a 51 216. Had some slop in the shaft. The flap was brazed to the shaft. Took a Dremel with a cut-off wheel and removed it. Then the shaft slid right out. Had way more wear on the shaft than the bushings. Made a new shaft out of 5/16" rod. I'm not sure how the original shaft attached to the counterweight, whether it was threaded or pressed or brazed, but I drilled out the old shaft, threaded it, and my new shaft screws into it. Manifold has what appears to be brass (?) bushings for the shaft. And they were remarkably in very good shape. Left them alone. Put the new shaft back through and mig welded the flap back. You don't have to run a bead all the way across the flap, just a spot on each side. But make sure everything is in sync though, so it doesn't operate in a half-closed or half open position.
When I got it all back together, with the spring installed, I took my heat gun and tried it. Works just like they intended for it to.

Mike


Mike

1951 3100 5 window
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,269
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,269

Joined: Mar 2016
Posts: 225
K
'Bolter
'Bolter
K Offline
Joined: Mar 2016
Posts: 225
$23.00 seems a lot for a piece of 5/16" cold roll. Flap still has to be attached. I also considered drilling and tapping the shaft, much like a choke flap in a carb, and screwing the flap to the shaft. Too much sugar for a dime I guess.

Mike


Mike

1951 3100 5 window

Moderated by  Phak1, Woogeroo 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0