The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
6 members (rfs56trk, tclederman, Gdads51, Wally / Montana, 39Master85, ndkid275), 100 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,132
Posts1,056,376
Members48,441
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: Sep 2009
Posts: 18
T
New Guy
New Guy
T Offline
Joined: Sep 2009
Posts: 18
Hello All..I am rebuilding my 1964 C10 and have hit a road block. On my lower control arm, one side will not accept the cap threads that hold in the control arm bar. I have swapped the caps to the other side and it threads as expected. Any suggestions? Does anyone know if it is a 1 5/8" tap? I would prefer to "fix" this rather than replace the piece. Please let me know!

Best Regards
The Forge Dude

Joined: Jan 2007
Posts: 220
R
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
R Offline
Joined: Jan 2007
Posts: 220
I do not know what size tap is required.
Question, are you doing this under load (is the spring installed). I doubt you are but wanted to ask.
If you cannot get it to start you may have to get a new rod for the cap to attach to.

Joined: Sep 2009
Posts: 18
T
New Guy
New Guy
T Offline
Joined: Sep 2009
Posts: 18
Hi Rusty64, Nope the control arm is off the truck. The rod itself is fine and spins into the cap, it is the threads on the control arm that are mucked up.

Joined: Jun 2004
Posts: 8,597
W
Riding in the Passing Lane
Riding in the Passing Lane
W Offline
Joined: Jun 2004
Posts: 8,597
Weld the cap to the control arm.


They say money can't buy happiness. It can buy old Chevy trucks though. Same thing.
1972 Chevy c10 Cheyenne Super
In the Gallery Forum
Joined: Sep 2009
Posts: 18
T
New Guy
New Guy
T Offline
Joined: Sep 2009
Posts: 18
Howdy Wrenchbender! I thought about doing that as a last resort (okay last resort was buying a new control arm hahaha) I am going to attempt cutting new threads with my Dremel, I figure several strong cups of java will counter the normal shakiness of my skills. Thanks for the tip!

Best Regards,
The Forge Dude


Joined: Jul 2008
Posts: 1,321
H
'Bolter
'Bolter
H Offline
Joined: Jul 2008
Posts: 1,321
Take it to an Automotive Machine shop or auto repair shop.
They will have an assortment of dies. Surely one will fit.
Harold


Harold
Is a restoration ever finished?

Moderated by  Hambone, Woogeroo 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0