The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
1 members (Ole49GMC), 109 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,115
Posts1,056,292
Members48,439
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#1172104 07/02/2016 1:42 AM
Joined: Mar 2016
Posts: 17
A
ADH
Offline
'Bolter
'Bolter
A Offline
Joined: Mar 2016
Posts: 17
I rebuilt the door hinges on my '51 3600. 3 were original to my truck and one was a used hinge I purchased from a forum member. He threw in a pair of new springs he didn't need. Rebuilding went as expected with the usual struggle to remove the old pins. Now with new oversized pins, no play in the hinges. However the hinge with the new springs flops about 15 degrees from the closed position toward open position. Hold the door member and the cab member just flops that 15 degrees. Springs look as if they'd fall out on their own, but they don't. Can't see that I've done anything wrong but something's not right. Suggestions before I take it back apart?

ADH #1172108 07/02/2016 2:23 AM
Joined: Dec 2013
Posts: 789
Former BMW Rider
Former BMW Rider
Joined: Dec 2013
Posts: 789
ADH,

Can you post a link to some pictures of the hinges? I'm sure there are plenty of Stovebolters that have rebuilt these hinges and will be able to give you a hand......

In the meantime, here's a VIDEO from the Filling Station on door hinge restoration.

Good luck,


Andy

His: 1947 Chevrolet 3104
Hers: 2008 American Saddlebred

"I proudly Stand for the Flag and Kneel for the Cross" Unknown
Joined: Mar 2016
Posts: 17
A
ADH
Offline
'Bolter
'Bolter
A Offline
Joined: Mar 2016
Posts: 17
Thanks. Yup excellent video. Have watched it a couple of times prior to my efforts. Will work on the pics.

ADH #1172354 07/03/2016 7:30 PM
Joined: Mar 2016
Posts: 17
A
ADH
Offline
'Bolter
'Bolter
A Offline
Joined: Mar 2016
Posts: 17
After some pondering in the garage, I think I've answered my own questions. The hinge with new springs does flop in that initial opening phase but so does the older sprung hinge. The latter just doesn't flop, it moves with coaxing. The new springs are thinner than the old ones, but the flopping is more a function of how precisely the oversized holes were bored in the hinge members. One set just happens to swing/pivot more easily than the other. Function should be fine. Thanks for reading my ramblings.


Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0