The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
3 members (Jon G, Guitplayer, Wally / Montana), 123 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,109
Posts1,056,269
Members48,439
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#1171610 06/29/2016 12:09 AM
Joined: Jun 2016
Posts: 236
4
DLBrooks
DLBrooks
4 Offline
Joined: Jun 2016
Posts: 236
Are there any problems with replacing a 1959 GMC 270 inline 6 with a 1953 GMC 302 inline 6? I purchased a 59 GMC half ton with a locked 270/3 speed and I have a chance to purchase a usable 302/4 speed sitting in a 1 1/2 ton grain truck 33k miles.

I will be purchasing rather cheap the complete rolling frame and running gear of which I only need the radiator if it fits, engine, and maybe not the 4 speed trans - have a spare sm420. But I may use the engine bell housing trans --not sure on driveshaft.

Does anyone have interest in the rest or part of the chassis? I should get complete steering and brakes also.


1959 GMC 100 Fleet
Follow in the DITY
Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 7,440
Bolter
Bolter
Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 7,440
The rules are clear, no selling or offers for sales allowed in the forums. Sounds like a cool project. Hope it fits. Others will be along shortly with answers to your questions.


Martin
'62 Chevy C-10 Stepside Shortbed (Restomod in progress)
'47 Chevy 3100 5 Window (long term project)
‘65 Chevy Biscayne (Emily)
‘39 Dodge Business Coupe (Clarence)
“I fought the law and the law won" now I are a retired one!
Support those brave men/women who stand the "Thin Blue Line"! Hug a cop!
USAF 1965-1969 Weather Observation Tech (I got paid to look at the clouds)

Joined: May 2001
Posts: 7,438
Extreme Gabster
Extreme Gabster
Joined: May 2001
Posts: 7,438
You will need to use the 270 bell housing, flywheel and clutch.


"It's just a phase. He'll grow out of it." Mama, 1964

1956 Chevy 1/2-ton 3100
1953 Chevy 6100 "The Yard dog"
1954 GMC Suburban Now with a new proud owner.
Joined: Jun 2016
Posts: 236
4
DLBrooks
DLBrooks
4 Offline
Joined: Jun 2016
Posts: 236
Is that only if I retain the 3 speed? I want to end up with a 4 speed.


1959 GMC 100 Fleet
Follow in the DITY
Joined: May 2006
Posts: 8,351
L
'Bolter
'Bolter
L Offline
Joined: May 2006
Posts: 8,351
The mounts are different on the frame. You'll need to use the 270 bellhousing with either trans to properly fit the '59 frame.


Bill Burmeister
Joined: Jun 2016
Posts: 236
4
DLBrooks
DLBrooks
4 Offline
Joined: Jun 2016
Posts: 236
thanks


1959 GMC 100 Fleet
Follow in the DITY
Joined: May 2001
Posts: 7,438
Extreme Gabster
Extreme Gabster
Joined: May 2001
Posts: 7,438
The big truck bell housing and flywheel are too large to fit under the small trucks. The transmission is the same for either.


"It's just a phase. He'll grow out of it." Mama, 1964

1956 Chevy 1/2-ton 3100
1953 Chevy 6100 "The Yard dog"
1954 GMC Suburban Now with a new proud owner.

Moderated by  Phak1, Woogeroo 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0