The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
4 members (1955 1 Series, 49choptop, 3800GUY, Shade Baby), 98 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,110
Posts1,056,274
Members48,439
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#1171598 06/28/2016 10:48 PM
Joined: Feb 2012
Posts: 206
C
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
C Offline
Joined: Feb 2012
Posts: 206
I have a 1965 Chevy C20 with a 3 speed tranny and a 292 engine. I am looking at a 3 speed tranny on Craig's List that came out of a '65 GMC 1/2 ton with a 6 cylinder. The numbers on the transmission do not match those on my transmission. Would they have to match in order to swap out the transmissions? Thank you.


1965 Chevy C20 Stepside
Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 29,805
H
Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer)
Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer)
H Offline
Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 29,805
As long as the bellhousing bolt pattern and the input and output splines match up, and the overall length is the same, they should swap. I think there might have been more than one ratio selection on the 1st. and 2nd gears. 3rd. will always be direct drive, a 1:1 ratio. Do the cases look the same? By 65, I think all the 3 speeds were the fully-synchronized Saginaw units.
Jerry


"It is better to be silent and be thought a fool than to speak and eliminate all doubt!" - Abraham Lincoln
Cringe and wail in fear, Eloi- - - - -we Morlocks are on the hunt!
There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. - Ernest Hemingway
Love your enemies and drive 'em nuts!
Joined: Feb 2012
Posts: 206
C
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
C Offline
Joined: Feb 2012
Posts: 206
Thank you for your reply Jerry. I'm no mechanic but I will try to figure this out based on your information. I don't need the transmission but I might grab it if I can for a spare since it is probably hard to find these. Rob


1965 Chevy C20 Stepside
Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 2,098
R
'Bolter
'Bolter
R Offline
Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 2,098
Measure the length of the transmission and count the number of bolts on the side cover. I owned an un-modified 66 C-20 that I purchased from the original owner. It came with a 292 I-6 and the short housing Muncie 3 speed. That transmission is approximately 15" long has a non syncro first gear and has a 4 bolt side cover. It is likely the GMC used the same transmission. However, if the other transmission has a 7 bolt side cover and is about 22" long it is likely a Saganaw. You would have to modify your driveshaft to use it.
Fred


1956 3100 Pickup/Red/350/3sp OD/PS/Disc Brakes
1957 Bel Air Sport Coupe/Red/355/TH350/PS/Disc Brakes
2017 Silverado LT Single Cab SB/Black/5.3/6 Speed Trans
1947 Willys CJ2A w/F-Head engine
Joined: Feb 2012
Posts: 206
C
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
C Offline
Joined: Feb 2012
Posts: 206
Thank you Fred. That helps alot. I will check out my transmission and count the bolts but I do believe the one on Craig's List is a Saganaw. I also do know that my tranny has a non-syncro first gear (having learned the hard way!).


1965 Chevy C20 Stepside
Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 2,098
R
'Bolter
'Bolter
R Offline
Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 2,098
Most sellers don't know if they have a Muncie or a Saganaw, they mostly rely on fuzzy information that they have been told by someone that doesn't know for sure. The terms get mixed up a lot.
Fred


1956 3100 Pickup/Red/350/3sp OD/PS/Disc Brakes
1957 Bel Air Sport Coupe/Red/355/TH350/PS/Disc Brakes
2017 Silverado LT Single Cab SB/Black/5.3/6 Speed Trans
1947 Willys CJ2A w/F-Head engine
Joined: Feb 2012
Posts: 206
C
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
C Offline
Joined: Feb 2012
Posts: 206
I believe you - I'm confused too!


1965 Chevy C20 Stepside
Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 2,098
R
'Bolter
'Bolter
R Offline
Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 2,098
GM made a wide variety of transmissions in that era. What you have is a garden variety SM318 short tail-shaft Muncie. Earlier models had a long tail-shaft. There is also an overdrive offered along with some internal gear ratio differences. It doesn't really matter what they call it, if it has the same physical dimensions as yours it should work.
Fred


1956 3100 Pickup/Red/350/3sp OD/PS/Disc Brakes
1957 Bel Air Sport Coupe/Red/355/TH350/PS/Disc Brakes
2017 Silverado LT Single Cab SB/Black/5.3/6 Speed Trans
1947 Willys CJ2A w/F-Head engine
Joined: Jun 2004
Posts: 8,597
W
Riding in the Passing Lane
Riding in the Passing Lane
W Offline
Joined: Jun 2004
Posts: 8,597
There was a heavy duty option 3 speed back then. It was a Borg-Warner. The syncro 1st gear did not come out till 67. You need to watch the shift linkage also when juggling trans. There are variations in that.


They say money can't buy happiness. It can buy old Chevy trucks though. Same thing.
1972 Chevy c10 Cheyenne Super
In the Gallery Forum
Joined: Feb 2012
Posts: 206
C
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
C Offline
Joined: Feb 2012
Posts: 206
Thank you both. I think you are correct about what I have Fred. I measured it today and it is about 15". The one I was looking at won't work because it is a long shaft. Thanks to all for your help in figuring this out. Rob


1965 Chevy C20 Stepside

Moderated by  Dusty53, SWEET 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0