The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
2 members (DadsFirstPickup, Gray_Ghost), 134 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,100
Posts1,056,169
Members48,436
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#117034 07/22/2005 3:49 AM
Joined: Jun 2002
Posts: 81
M
Member
Member
M Offline
Joined: Jun 2002
Posts: 81
I'm looking for opinions on this one. I am getting my truck already for paint at a local garage and I have been doing most of the prep work. The guy at the garage says to never wet sand on bondo or primer as he swears it will retain some moisture and cause problems later on. He says he's had customers come back complaining about tiny little spots in the paint 6 months later. The guy has been painting for 20 -odd years so I guess he knows something. Has anybody heard this before?

#117035 07/22/2005 4:26 AM
Joined: Feb 2002
Posts: 12,029
F
Cruising in the Passing Lane
Cruising in the Passing Lane
F Offline
Joined: Feb 2002
Posts: 12,029
well I'm no expert, but I'd never get bondo wet, or surfacer primer, they are porous, as he sez - I think the primer-sealer is the wet sanded coat, as it doesn't absorb the water, and that's the coat you want real smooth anyway - I've always just sanded the surfacer up to 400 at most, my paint guy takes it from there w/ the sealer at 600 and finer, depending on how great a job you want - at times they might wet sand the color coat before a clear coat too - I did have a paint job done by a fairly inexperienced guy one time that got pimples in a fairly short time because of water in the primer, but that might have been from a poor compressor setup - it does happen

gives ya something to chew on till an expert comes along grin

Bill


Moved over to the Passing Lane

"When we tug a single thing in nature, we find it attached to the rest of the world" ~ John Muir
"When we tug a single thing on an old truck, we find it falls off" ~ me
Some TF series details & TF heater pics
#117036 07/22/2005 4:34 AM
Joined: Jan 2002
Posts: 622
T
Tab Offline
Member
Member
T Offline
Joined: Jan 2002
Posts: 622
Sounds like nonsense to me. I have never had a need to wet sand bondo but it's important to wet sand primer. Otherwise your sandpaper will get clogged after two passes. Don't worry about it. Wet sand when you need to and let it dry before painting.


delete my account and pictures
#117037 07/26/2005 10:47 AM
Joined: Jul 2005
Posts: 71
K
Member
Member
K Offline
Joined: Jul 2005
Posts: 71
Don't get it wet.I had rust cut out of an Australian '69 Falcon and was told to get it painted straight away, but the filler got damp and once it was painted came up in bubbles, especially on hot days.It will definately absorb moisture.

#117038 07/26/2005 4:52 PM
Joined: Jan 2002
Posts: 622
T
Tab Offline
Member
Member
T Offline
Joined: Jan 2002
Posts: 622
You don't have much choice but to get the bondo wet. After you get it sanded down, THE ONLY way to remove the fine dust from the micropours is to go over it with a damp sponge or rag, OR hose it down. If you're worried about painting over damp bondo just put the car in the sun for a few hours, then prime. I have NEVER had a problem with moisture bubbles under the paint but I have seen them though. Common sense is the key.


delete my account and pictures
#117039 07/28/2005 3:16 AM
Joined: Jun 2005
Posts: 221
V
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
V Offline
Joined: Jun 2005
Posts: 221
You dont wet sand until you have the last coat of primer sealer applied then wet sand with 600 or finer to remove any samll imperfections.then blow off all the dust with an air hose and wipe it all down with laquer thinner then wipe it down with laquer thinner again.the last step should be to go over the entire surface with a tack cloth.


Moderated by  klhansen 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0