Click on image for the lowdown. 
====
| | |
8 members (55shaker, MickeyP, Bill Hanlon, 3B, Gdads51, Ridgeback, Gray_Ghost, 32Fordpuchoptop),
112
guests, and
1
robot. | | Key: Admin,
Global Mod,
Mod | | | Forums66 Topics128,118 Posts1,056,304 Members48,439 | | Most Online14,466 Apr 26th, 2026 | | AD Chevy Trucks Over 6,000 pictures Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips. Check them out!
Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!
| | THANKS!
For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for over 30 years! and not clogged down with Ads! Again, thanks! | | | | Joined: Jul 2002 Posts: 102 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Jul 2002 Posts: 102 | The previous owner of my 53 did a sheet metal patch job on the front floor. Loving the truck I wanted to fix it right. I ordered a Bitchin front floor, cut out the old, etc. I ended up needing more than the floor. For the drivers side I needed the hinge pocket, the front section of the rocker, inner cowl. Pretty typical of trucks from my area. This is the first truck I've had to do this much work to. Besides the floor pan, all parts are from Chevy Duty. The brand name on the rocker and hinge pocket are TriPlus. These parts just simply don't fit. Trust me, I do understand about fitting parts, but the fit at the rocker and hinge pocket are off by 1/4" to 3/8". I can't believe how bad the fits are. My question is, does any other company besides TriPlus make patch panels for AD trucks?
Bummed out Ron
Ron Thompson 51 Chevy 1/2 ton 36 F@rd coupe 65 Riviera
| | | | | Joined: Jan 2002 Posts: 622 Member | | Member Joined: Jan 2002 Posts: 622 | I bought a Chevyduty metal fender which fit terrible. I called them and they replaced it with a fiberglass fender which is not perfect but acceptable. They were very nice about it and didn't even want the metal fender back. Give them a call and see what they can do.
delete my account and pictures
| | | | | Joined: Feb 2004 Posts: 63 Member | | Member Joined: Feb 2004 Posts: 63 | Hang in there Ron, I too am in the middle of that same job and if you think those fit bad we won't discuss the inner to outer cowel pice.It is sad that for the top dollar we pay for this stuff that the fit is not at least close.Enough crying,this stuff is what it is and it beats holes in the floor.Slow down,relax be paitent. I have had some luck using self tapping screws to pull things together Take lots and lots of measurements we want the doors to work right when you finish.Check out Chuck Meyers web page it has been very helpful to me(thanks Chuck).You can make this stuff work. Good Luck and keep us posted Aaron | | | | | Joined: Oct 2001 Posts: 3,458 Extreme Gabster | | Extreme Gabster Joined: Oct 2001 Posts: 3,458 | One thing is with the AD cabs is that they were basically all individually hand built. No robots back then. They all are a bit differant and some of the patch panels are just an approximation. The best way to approach things is to keep as much as the original metal as you can, and cut the patch panel to fit the truck and not the other way around. You are stuck with having to make things fit, and sometimes the best way to do that is to just create your own panel if you have to.
Also, make sure you brace the cab, especially the doorways, before you cut things out. You may find when you weld it back together that the doors don't fit any more.
Paint & Body Shop moderator A lone amateur built the Ark. A large group of professionals built the Titanic. | | | | | Joined: Jan 2001 Posts: 662 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Jan 2001 Posts: 662 | Thanks, Aaron. Ron - condsider the replacements a starting point. Beats making them from scratch. I spent a long time making the lower hinge pocket since replacements weren't available at the time. Cut, grind, hammer, weld, and keep in mind that this is FUN! I'm still really proud to say "I did it all myself." http://www.chuckthetruck.homestead.com/page3.html | | | | | Joined: Jul 2002 Posts: 102 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Jul 2002 Posts: 102 | Thanks for the advise guys. "The stuff is what it is" and "consider the replacements a starting point", is great advise. I've been a car guy all of my life but never run into this before. I've always managed to find stock parts and have rarely used patch panels.I went to the shop Sunday with this advise in mind and got half finished with good results. Understand my life long background is the machine shop where things fit. Chuck, I have read most of your site before and enjoyed it, and really appreciate someone taking the time to share and give their time like this. Again, thanks all.
Ron Thompson 51 Chevy 1/2 ton 36 F@rd coupe 65 Riviera
| | | | | Joined: Jan 2005 Posts: 1,682 Extreme Gabster | | Extreme Gabster Joined: Jan 2005 Posts: 1,682 | Thats exactly why i'd rather buy an old fender or hood and sand and primer it than buy a repro.
With all the hassle and expence of repro parts, it seems like a fellow would be better off just bangin' the parts out from sheet metal stock.
an idea is only stupid if you think about it rationally.
| | | | | Joined: Sep 2003 Posts: 2,384 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Sep 2003 Posts: 2,384 | I used some Triplus cab corners on my 64, they looked horrible. Kinda even "stuck out" on the sides. I thought maybe forming them around some while tacking would help, but made no diff. I got a second set off eBay,(Tabco I think)diff was night & day. Yes, I cut the 1st set off & did it again & now I am happy w/it. Brian | | | | | Joined: Jul 2002 Posts: 102 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Jul 2002 Posts: 102 | 64fleetside, Years ago I bought some 72 truck floor pans that looked great. The brand on them was also Tabco. I was very impressed with the high quality. I guess I go back to my original question, does any other manufacturer make AD patch panels? A guy I work with who builds Camaro's has a policy on patch panels that he says works, "If it's black, send it back." My Triplus panels are black, the Tabco's were galvanized.
Ron Thompson 51 Chevy 1/2 ton 36 F@rd coupe 65 Riviera
| | | | | Joined: Mar 2005 Posts: 85 Wrench Fetcher | | Wrench Fetcher Joined: Mar 2005 Posts: 85 | I used Tabco cabcorners, floors, rockers and door bottoms for my '70 C-10. I bought them from JCW and they fit great. | | | | | Joined: Jul 2002 Posts: 102 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Jul 2002 Posts: 102 | I checked the Tabco website.They make very little for AD trucks, so cut, weld, grind, fit and cuss is my only option. I did get most of it in.
Ron Thompson 51 Chevy 1/2 ton 36 F@rd coupe 65 Riviera
| | | | | Joined: Jan 2004 Posts: 210 Member | | Member Joined: Jan 2004 Posts: 210 | Used some fiberglass fronts on on my 52 GMC and I SHOULD HAVE FIXED THE HOLES IN THE OLD ONES! Ok enough shouting. This time (on the burb) I have fixed almost everything and I am just as happy (and proud). Took a little more time though. Jim | | |
| |