The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
4 members (Shade Baby, Jon G, Gdads51, dt235sd), 93 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,118
Posts1,056,306
Members48,439
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#1166622 05/23/2016 6:44 PM
Joined: Apr 2009
Posts: 187
B
'Bolter
'Bolter
B Offline
Joined: Apr 2009
Posts: 187
Hi everyone, I have a 54 235 and plan to start it up for the first time, I see lots of discussion about engine oil for these vintage engines. What are BC Bolters using for engine oil in their trucks. any thoughts would be appreciated...Glenn


I would rather be late 10 minutes in this life than 10 minutes early for the next

The reason my lady and I have been together so long is because of the kids. Neither one of us wanted sole custody
Joined: Oct 2014
Posts: 56
M
'Bolter
'Bolter
M Offline
Joined: Oct 2014
Posts: 56
Look at using an oil with ZDDP in it. It's a zinc-based anti-wear additive that helps lubricate our vintage beasts.

There are vintage specific oils you can purchase but they can be ridiculously expensive. I have heard diesel oils have the required ZDDP but you want to be sure not to get one with too high of a detergent level in it as that can be bad for the engine.

Alternatively you can buy a zddp additive. Maybe check at Lordco or your fav. parts supplier... or of course you can buy it on Ebay or Amazon.

Joined: Oct 2006
Posts: 843
B
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
B Offline
Joined: Oct 2006
Posts: 843
Lucas oil for example

Joined: Jul 2014
Posts: 362
E
'Bolter
'Bolter
E Offline
Joined: Jul 2014
Posts: 362
Can you get Valvoline VR1 up there in BC? I buy it here in Texas, though I have a tough time getting several quarts of the same weight at the same store, so I have ordered it from Amazon in a case of six to avoid having to visit multiple stores.

Joined: Apr 2009
Posts: 187
B
'Bolter
'Bolter
B Offline
Joined: Apr 2009
Posts: 187
Hi EBS, I will check that out, thanks for the info


I would rather be late 10 minutes in this life than 10 minutes early for the next

The reason my lady and I have been together so long is because of the kids. Neither one of us wanted sole custody
Joined: Sep 2011
Posts: 305
5
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
5 Offline
Joined: Sep 2011
Posts: 305
I think that was I used on the last change. Had to order my filter on line.

Joined: Jul 2008
Posts: 1,321
H
'Bolter
'Bolter
H Offline
Joined: Jul 2008
Posts: 1,321
Here is a very good article concerning motor oil.
http://blog.hemmings.com/index.php/2012/10/18/tech-101-zinc-in-oil-and-its-effects-on-older-engines/

I also located the Valvoline VR1 at NAPA.
https://www.napaonline.com/p/VAR205#

Harold

Last edited by Harold46; 05/27/2016 4:56 AM.

Harold
Is a restoration ever finished?

Moderated by  Gord&Fran 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0