Click on image for the lowdown. 
====
| | |
7 members (MickeyP, JW51, Gdads51, moparguy, Robert Crandall, Charles in CA, 1 invisible),
213
guests, and
7
robots. | | Key: Admin,
Global Mod,
Mod | | | Forums66 Topics128,093 Posts1,056,152 Members48,436 | | Most Online14,466 Apr 26th, 2026 | | AD Chevy Trucks Over 6,000 pictures Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips. Check them out!
Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!
| | THANKS!
For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for over 30 years! and not clogged down with Ads! Again, thanks! | | | | Joined: Feb 2003 Posts: 1,377 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Feb 2003 Posts: 1,377 | My 37 has a 57 235 that needs a crank kit and I do have another 235 that is ready to go in but I might have the possibility to get a 38 216 with a fresh rebuild for free,so am I crazy to want to go with a 216 and if I do will I be disappointed. | | | | | Joined: Sep 2001 Posts: 29,269 Bubba - Curmudgeon | | Bubba - Curmudgeon Joined: Sep 2001 Posts: 29,269 | " . .am I crazy to want to go with a 216 and if I do will I be disappointed."
What is the year of your 235 that is "ready to go"?
The difference in power between the 216 and a 235 is noticeable - if it is a 1956 or newer 235, the difference is very noticeable.
How/where do you want to drive the truck?
I'd probably put in the 216 (relatively easy install) and hold the 235 for the future (depending on the year, a little harder install). There will be (and should be) many different opinions on this choice. | | | | | Joined: Feb 2003 Posts: 1,377 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Feb 2003 Posts: 1,377 | The ready to go 235 is a 60,I do mostly local driving with a occasional highway drive. My 37 has 3.55 gears and a T-5 so how would that work with a 216,I have driven a 216 on farm fields but not on the road. | | | | | Joined: Sep 2001 Posts: 29,269 Bubba - Curmudgeon | | Bubba - Curmudgeon Joined: Sep 2001 Posts: 29,269 | . . .I do mostly local driving with a occasional highway drive. . . I'd say this is the key factor. A good 216 should be fine. The T5 (even with a 3.55 rear) should be good at both low-end and high-end. What are the forward gear ratios on your T5?That 1960 235 is a good one - it has the high compression head and the 261 camshaft. It is significantly stronger than the 216. Keep it on-hand. You will have to install one of Pre '68 Dave's water pump relocator (no big deal). Either way (rebuilt 216 or 235), you will be OK. | | | | | Joined: Feb 2003 Posts: 1,377 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Feb 2003 Posts: 1,377 | I have one of those adapters and just need to drill the holes in the block,I really do not want too much less power so I will most likely put the 235 in but a free rebuilt motor is hard to pass up. | | | | | Joined: Sep 2001 Posts: 29,269 Bubba - Curmudgeon | | Bubba - Curmudgeon Joined: Sep 2001 Posts: 29,269 | Do you have space to store a 216 motor on this dolly or on a stand like this? If yes, take and store it. | | | | | Joined: Mar 2010 Posts: 10,280 Renaissance Man | | Renaissance Man Joined: Mar 2010 Posts: 10,280 | I have been waiting to hear from someone who has put a T-5 behind a 216, especially a fresh one. I recently put a T-5 behind a full pressure 235 in My '50 and am absolutely amazed how it brought this engine/truck to life! I would put the 216 in if I were you. Just think how sweet the original engine will look in the engine bay. Carl
1952 5-window - return to "as built" condition | 1950 3100 with a 235 and a T-5 transmission
| | | | | Joined: Feb 2004 Posts: 29,798 Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer) | | Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer) Joined: Feb 2004 Posts: 29,798 | The 216 plus the 3.55 rear end will probably limit your 5th. gear driving to level roads and/or downhill. The engine will have noticeably less torque at highway speeds and you'll end up downshifting more often. You should expect gas mileage to suffer, as you'll be in a low manifold vacuum situation more often, with the power valve in the carburetor open. Jerry
"It is better to be silent and be thought a fool than to speak and eliminate all doubt!" - Abraham Lincoln Cringe and wail in fear, Eloi- - - - -we Morlocks are on the hunt! There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. - Ernest Hemingway Love your enemies and drive 'em nuts!
| | | | | Joined: Jan 2014 Posts: 3,686 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Jan 2014 Posts: 3,686 | Does the T-5 cutting up the floor board?
1951 3100
| | | | | Joined: Mar 2010 Posts: 10,280 Renaissance Man | | Renaissance Man Joined: Mar 2010 Posts: 10,280 | There were T-5s made with 1st gear approaching granny gear ratio, which you would need with a 3.55 rear. Some were also available with 0.86 overdrive which is all you would need with that 3.55 rear (0.72 would be too much overdrive). Other than that, the shifts between all 5 gears are close together so you should never have a lugging condition even on less than flat roads. What are the ratios in your current T-5 behind your shot 235? Carl
1952 5-window - return to "as built" condition | 1950 3100 with a 235 and a T-5 transmission
| | | | | Joined: Feb 2003 Posts: 1,377 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Feb 2003 Posts: 1,377 | I think I have the T-5 that has the 4.03 first gear,it came from behind a 2.8 and I did have to cut another hole in the floor behind the original hole which got welded up. I would like to hear from those who put a T-5 behind a 216 before I would install it,if it works out and the 216 will be available I will grab it but use it for another project. I really like how it runs with the present 235 and doubt I would like less power so the 60 235 will most likely go in unless I run across a running 303 or 324 Olds and hydramatic then the thought of a six goes out the window. | | | | | Joined: Dec 2012 Posts: 201 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Dec 2012 Posts: 201 | When the original 235 in my '46 2-ton went south, I put a 216 in there as a temporary fix. Even though the 216 was rather tired, it actually had more power than I was getting out of my dying 235. I replaced that with a '53 235 last year and the difference was very noticeable, I think the rated horsepower went up by 20. I suspect the actual went up by more since the 216 was getting tired itself. Point being, either one worked OK for me and I USE my truck on my small farm. It doesn't see a lot of miles, but it hauls many loads of compost each spring and fall. Being otherwise stock, it tops out at around 50 MPH which is plenty fast enough with the early steering box and no shocks. As for acceleration, I don't drive the truck if I'm in a hurry. It's a workhorse, not a hotrod. | | | | | Joined: Aug 2012 Posts: 1,214 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Aug 2012 Posts: 1,214 | Log this reply as one of those grains of salt type replys as I have no experience w/a 235 to compare to the 216 I've put approx 13k miles on. My 49 216 responds positively to every improvement I do it which keeps it in service in my mostly stock 49 3100. It has the std 3 speed tranny and 4:11 rear. It sounds and runs extremely well between 40 and 45 mph but gets real noisy at 50 and above. I've run it up to 65 to pass but don't keep it there long. I've never taken it on an interstate but have run a constant 55 for 5 or so miles without problems. It's a low rpm torque monster. Sometimes I don't even bother to upshift to 2nd when going around sweeping turns.
All that said, I do have a hopped up 235 waiting in the wings when the 216 tires or goes out but for the present type of driving I do the 216 does an ample job of enjoyable back road cruising.
| | | | | Joined: Feb 2003 Posts: 1,377 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Feb 2003 Posts: 1,377 | I just do not want to put it in and not like it and then back apart. | | |
| |