Click on image for the lowdown. 
====
| | |
0 members (),
151
guests, and
1
robot. | | Key: Admin,
Global Mod,
Mod | | | Forums66 Topics128,089 Posts1,056,141 Members48,436 | | Most Online14,466 Apr 26th, 2026 | | AD Chevy Trucks Over 6,000 pictures Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips. Check them out!
Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!
| | THANKS!
For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for over 30 years! and not clogged down with Ads! Again, thanks! | | | | Joined: Apr 2005 Posts: 6 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Apr 2005 Posts: 6 | I've got an old White Brownie Box (actually a Brown Lipe 6231) that I'm putting in my 3/4 ton 55 GMC Napco to offset the overly tall rear end gear ratio.
I'm not tearing my Brownie Box all the way down as it looks to be in good shape internally. I am however cleaning it up, painting it and replacing the seals and gaskets as the past 60 odd years have taken their toll on them. The input shaft has pressed onto it what I would call a mounting bracket which is used to bolt it to the frame. There is a large bearing on the input shaft which the hanger Trunnion bracket rides on. Curiously, the bracket wont rotate on the shaft which I would think it should. All the shafts turn just fine, but seems curious. The other end of the Brownie Box has two ears integral with the casting from which to support the unit.
The Trunnion hanger one on the input shaft appears to have a rope seal on the back side next to the case proper, on the front it appears to have a large seal that I can't make heads or tails of. I'd like to replace at least the rope seal as I can see its frayed and dried out.
Has anybody ever removed one of these bracket/mounting hangers from the shaft? Do I just need a big puller with the claws on the back of the housing and centered on the input shaft? If I get it off, what's it like getting it back on. Or do I just want to leave well enough alone?
| | | | | Joined: May 2005 Posts: 8,878 . | | . Joined: May 2005 Posts: 8,878 | Here are two pictures of mine. PHOTO 1 PHOTO 2 I don't know what you mean by "rope seal" behind the mounting bracket, I don't understand why there would be a seal in that area. Sure it's not just a scrap of rope or string wedged in there for some reason, leftover from yanking it out in the junkyard years ago? Mine is apparently just metal on metal with no cushion, seal, or anything else tricky. It also does not turn but I expect it will in time, I think it should turn in use as the frame flexes. I've been soaking it in penetrating oil and may end up using some heat to expand the mount some to help with removal. Grigg | | | | | Joined: Jun 2011 Posts: 5,096 Crusing in the Passing Lane | | Crusing in the Passing Lane Joined: Jun 2011 Posts: 5,096 | Mine turns and has a grease fitting for it.
Ed
'37 GMC T-18 w/ DD 4-53T, RTO-610, 6231 aux., '95 GMC running gear, full disc brakes, power steering, 22.5 wheels and tires. '47 GMC 1 ton w/ 302, NP-540, 4wd, full width Blazer front axle. '54 GMC 630 w/ 503 gasser, 5 speed, ex fire truck, shortened WB 4', install 8' bed. '55 GMC 370 w/270, 420 4 speed, grain, dump bed truck from ND. Works OK.
| | | | | Joined: Mar 2011 Posts: 107 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Mar 2011 Posts: 107 | The one on my 5831C does not have any bearing material or seals, it simply slides over the outside of the input shaft housing of the transmission. It does have a grease fitting, and does rotate about the shaft housing. It is a machined fit that doesn't have a lot of play, but will rotate easily and slide fore and aft along the housing, but won't twist hardly any around the housing. I can easily see it rusting into position over time, even with regular greasing the grease never really works its way all the way around the housing and any movement it does is small in operation. | | |
| |