The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 108 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,115
Posts1,056,292
Members48,439
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: Sep 2011
Posts: 2,951
L
'Bolter
'Bolter
L Offline
Joined: Sep 2011
Posts: 2,951
Not sure where to post this, so I'll start here.

I'm requesting advice as to how to make this a safe steering column.

I want to combine the safety of a more modern collapsing DD style steering shaft with the original look of my 1965 steering column. So I'm thinking of making a hybrid column.
But it's gotta be safe!

So here is my plan A. I have a plan B too.

Plan A: Install a 1974 GMC truck PS gear box with new pitman arm on my 1965 C10 frame. This is a common upgrade and I already have the correct adapter plate. Use the 1974 rag joint, lower shaft sleeve and DD shaft portion from the same 1974 truck. Then I'll cut off the lower end of my 1965 shaft to the right length and connect it to the 1974 DD shaft with a universal joint. I may have the lower few inches of the round 1965 shaft milled down to form a DD shape. Plan A will give me an original looking steering column with one universal joint and then the rag joint at the gear box.

Plan B: Remove the 1974 DD shaft portion so I'm just left with the 1974 lower sleeve and rag joint. Then cut my 1965 round shaft to length and mill the end to a DD shape so it will slide into the 1974 sleeve. Then install new pins through the sleeve to prevent telescoping. (These pins sheer off to allow the shaft to telescope in the event of an accident that impacts the gear box.)

Last edited by Lugnutz; 04/20/2016 1:30 PM.
Joined: Feb 2007
Posts: 435
T
'Bolter
'Bolter
T Offline
Joined: Feb 2007
Posts: 435
Jay, I can send you some pictures of what I have. I'm thinking of installing a late model steering column in my ride with the ignition on the column.
May work.
Tramp


dj durant

1964 Chevrolet C-10 Pickup Truck
In the Stovebolt Gallery
More pix on Flickr
Joined: Sep 2011
Posts: 2,951
L
'Bolter
'Bolter
L Offline
Joined: Sep 2011
Posts: 2,951
Thanks, Tramp. I've ordered a universal joint with DD connections on both ends. I think it will work. I just can't find a late model tilt column that's for a floor shifter. New Flaming River and Ididit columns sure are nice but that will be plan B.


Moderated by  Fibonachu, KCMongo 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0