The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
8 members (John Dlugos, rfs56trk, BCBill, Otto Skorzeny, Dusty53, Buckeye998, Chip O, WICruiser), 183 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,101
Posts1,056,172
Members48,436
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#116059 04/04/2002 6:15 AM
Joined: Oct 2001
Posts: 578
J
'Bolter
'Bolter
J Offline
Joined: Oct 2001
Posts: 578
I just received, as a gift, a 1983 Suzuki GS750ES which was parked in a garage in 1988 with half a tank (2+ gallons) of gas in it. The bike is in as-new condition except for the sludge and rust in the tank. I poured it out. The gas had turned to about 1 gallon of thick gelatinous yellow shellac. I rinsed the tank with a garden hose. The entire surface inside the tank is covered with rust. I :confused: removed the petcock and sending unit and filled the tank with 1 part molasses to 8 parts water. I'd heard of this at work, and did a Google search for "molasses rust removal". I'm leaving it in there till Saturday morning. I'll post the results here.


"Happiness equals reality minus expectations" - Tom Magliozzi
#116060 04/04/2002 5:29 PM
Joined: Dec 2001
Posts: 1,745
T
Member
Member
T Offline
Joined: Dec 2001
Posts: 1,745
There are kits to do what you are trying. I believe POR15 makes one. It has a cleaning solution that goes into the tank with some nuts and bolts and gets shaken. This etches and cleans the tank. Then the second solution coats it with something. I hear it works great.


54 3100 with 235
62 flatbed dump C60 with 261
#116061 04/04/2002 8:50 PM
Joined: Jul 2001
Posts: 149
M
Member
Member
M Offline
Joined: Jul 2001
Posts: 149
Eastwood has a tank cleaning and sealing kit. look it up at www.eastwood.com. Not sure on price but wasnt much.


"Finish the thing, do it right the first time, and drive the S.O.B.!"

1949 Chevy half ton 3100 In a kazillion pieces
2000 GMC Serria 1500 SL 4x4
#116062 04/04/2002 8:52 PM
Joined: Jul 2001
Posts: 149
M
Member
Member
M Offline
Joined: Jul 2001
Posts: 149
Hey it turned that eastwood into a link all by its self! I be dang howed it do that? :confused:


"Finish the thing, do it right the first time, and drive the S.O.B.!"

1949 Chevy half ton 3100 In a kazillion pieces
2000 GMC Serria 1500 SL 4x4
#116063 04/04/2002 9:10 PM
Joined: Jun 2000
Posts: 454
J
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
J Offline
Joined: Jun 2000
Posts: 454
However, the address you gave is to a tourist lodge in the Niagra Falls region. grin

Try this one www.eastwoodco.com


Jeff Nelson

"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy." - Benjamin Franklin
"Always do right. This will gratify some people and astonish the rest." - Mark Twain
#116064 04/04/2002 11:15 PM
Joined: Jul 2001
Posts: 149
M
Member
Member
M Offline
Joined: Jul 2001
Posts: 149
Id be Dang! Again! That looked like a nice place to visit. Thanks for the correction wink


"Finish the thing, do it right the first time, and drive the S.O.B.!"

1949 Chevy half ton 3100 In a kazillion pieces
2000 GMC Serria 1500 SL 4x4
#116065 04/08/2002 11:44 PM
Joined: Jan 2002
Posts: 38
R
New Guy
New Guy
R Offline
Joined: Jan 2002
Posts: 38
well, Jim B., we are waiting to hear how the molasses did????????


"So many trucks, so little time!"

Vehicle list:
down to 2 now.
1 - 1967 Chevy 3/4 ton LWB 4x4
2 - do I dare say it??? a 61 Ford Unibody
#116066 04/09/2002 2:51 PM
Joined: Dec 2001
Posts: 43
A
Member
Member
A Offline
Joined: Dec 2001
Posts: 43
The POR15 kit works great, but I'd like to hear how the molasses works.


57 3100 235 3 spd
#116067 04/09/2002 8:36 PM
Joined: Jun 2000
Posts: 454
J
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
J Offline
Joined: Jun 2000
Posts: 454
I just can't understand how butts from little furry critters can get rid of rust. grin :p


Jeff Nelson

"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy." - Benjamin Franklin
"Always do right. This will gratify some people and astonish the rest." - Mark Twain
#116068 04/09/2002 10:36 PM
Joined: Nov 2001
Posts: 6
C
Member
Member
C Offline
Joined: Nov 2001
Posts: 6
Barry Weeks talked about the molasses rust remover .It does work ,very slowly ,but works well.It took 2 weeks to clean some old truck parts .Can't beat the price , and just throw it behind the garage when you're done

#116069 04/10/2002 1:31 AM
Joined: Feb 2000
Posts: 203
F
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
F Offline
Joined: Feb 2000
Posts: 203
Jeff, nice one. wink

#116070 04/10/2002 6:55 AM
Joined: Oct 2001
Posts: 578
J
'Bolter
'Bolter
J Offline
Joined: Oct 2001
Posts: 578
Molasses and water part 2.
I filled it with the 1 1 partmolasses and 1 part water, 5.2 gallons. I covered the petcock hole with duct tape and had it sitting in a washtub on my basement floor. Next morning I had 5.2 gallons of muck ON my basement floor. Duct tape failure. Hole in the washtub.
I was laughing about this with my neighbor when his brother showed up. He said he knew about molasses and water, but that it takes weeks, not days! It's the phosphoric acid that does it. He suggested that I pour the tank full of pure PineSol floor cleaner and let it sit for four days. The PineSol worked. Basically, what I thought was rust was actually decomposed gasoline residue. The tank itself was galvanized! I drained the PineSol into buckets and will use it to clean the molasses! I blasted the interior of the tank with a pressure washer. It is now good to go.


"Happiness equals reality minus expectations" - Tom Magliozzi
#116071 04/10/2002 2:42 PM
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,269
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,269
Jim B,

Now that you have it cleaned, will you seal the inside? The various gas tank restorer kits all seem to use a sealer as the last step.

Tim

#116072 04/13/2002 4:26 AM
Joined: Oct 2001
Posts: 578
J
'Bolter
'Bolter
J Offline
Joined: Oct 2001
Posts: 578
I'm not going to seal it. I have read on the motorcycle sites that if you havn't cleaned it and prepped it perfectly the sealer can get pockets in it and the pockets will rust. Because the tank is galvanized with patches where the zinc is missing I'm afraid I'd develop the pockets. I'm going to keep thee tank full, and I've put two cow magnets inside the tank near the petcock. They should grab any floating rust particles that I might not have gotten.


"Happiness equals reality minus expectations" - Tom Magliozzi

Moderated by  klhansen 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0