The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
5 members (Bill Hanlon, Hotrod Lincoln, Buckeye998, Jon G, 1 invisible), 89 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,091
Posts1,056,393
Members48,442
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: Oct 2001
Posts: 3,458
4
Extreme Gabster
Extreme Gabster
4 Offline
Joined: Oct 2001
Posts: 3,458
I changed the oil in my 4-speed and found some ugly soup. I had driven it first and what came out looked just like kleen-strip, a brown frothy ooze. The truck had sat for a while undriven and this is the first time I have changed the oil since I got it. I had just topped it off before. I guess water got in there somehow. I suspect the speedo cable, it was broken and kind of hanging on by one turn, and water can run down the cowl and right down the cable. I put on a new cable (fixed the speedo too). Should I expect more water in the box? The truck lives outside for now. I guess I will be checking it more often. It still shifts well and I took off the side cover and inspected the gears and it looked ok.


Paint & Body Shop moderator
A lone amateur built the Ark. A large group of professionals built the Titanic.
Joined: Mar 2000
Posts: 1,182
Red dot, center of chest ...
Red dot, center of chest ...
Joined: Mar 2000
Posts: 1,182
Sounds like condensation to me. Just keep an eye on it. If you don't see it again, that's probably all it was.

[ 01-07-2002: Message edited by: baldeagle ]


Paul Schmehl CI 6
geek@stovebolt.com
Stovebolt Staff: Geek
Joined: Jan 2000
Posts: 26
B
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
B Offline
Joined: Jan 2000
Posts: 26
Leaking windshield gaskets will let water run down the dash, on to the shifter, and make it's way into the gear box. This happened to my '50 1.5 ton truck when I bought it. Froze it in third gear, luckily there was no damage. I siliconed the windshield gasket up for now, since the truck is sitting outside, waiting for the new shop to be built.


1942 Chevy G7104 1.5 ton 4x4
1946 Willys CJ-2A
Joined: Feb 2001
Posts: 1,897
M
Member
Member
M Offline
Joined: Feb 2001
Posts: 1,897
Cheap protection to drain it again and refill it after driving it for a while.let it settle for a few hours before draining so any sediment will settle.


There is enough good in the worst of us and enough bad in the best of us that it does not behoove any of us to criticize the rest of us.
-
-
Be yourself. If you are ever lost, It will be much easier to find yourself if you know who you are!
Joined: Aug 2001
Posts: 258
F
'Bolter
'Bolter
F Offline
Joined: Aug 2001
Posts: 258
Josiah,

I'd bet on the Windshield & raise you a Cowl-vent; I've seen the water get in in both places and ultimately drip down on the shifter tower, and the rest is ... soup.

Perhaps draining, refilling with kero and a gentle run through the gears with the truck on jackstands, then an overnight drain and refill with gear lube wouldn't be extreme.

Hope there's no tragedies inside "Pandora's Box".


Frank McMullen
1941 Chevy dump truck
1949 GMC 100 pick-up
1954 Chevy 3600 pick-up
1955.1 4400 dump truck
1941 De Soto & other MoPars
1928 Model A F**D Special Coupe
Joined: Jan 2000
Posts: 26
B
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
B Offline
Joined: Jan 2000
Posts: 26
Yeah, flush it out with kero, usually cleans it out a bit also. Keep flushing untill there are no water droplets in the kero.


1942 Chevy G7104 1.5 ton 4x4
1946 Willys CJ-2A

Moderated by  Phak1, Woogeroo 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0