| |
Click on image for the lowdown. 
====
| | | Forums66 Topics128,087 Posts1,056,372 Members48,442 | | Most Online14,466 Apr 26th, 2026 | | AD Chevy Trucks Over 6,000 pictures Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips. Check them out!
Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!
| | THANKS!
For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for over 30 years! and not clogged down with Ads! Again, thanks! | |
#11596 01/08/2002 12:49 AM | Joined: Oct 2001 Posts: 3,458 Extreme Gabster | | Extreme Gabster Joined: Oct 2001 Posts: 3,458 | I changed the oil in my 4-speed and found some ugly soup. I had driven it first and what came out looked just like kleen-strip, a brown frothy ooze. The truck had sat for a while undriven and this is the first time I have changed the oil since I got it. I had just topped it off before. I guess water got in there somehow. I suspect the speedo cable, it was broken and kind of hanging on by one turn, and water can run down the cowl and right down the cable. I put on a new cable (fixed the speedo too). Should I expect more water in the box? The truck lives outside for now. I guess I will be checking it more often. It still shifts well and I took off the side cover and inspected the gears and it looked ok.
Paint & Body Shop moderator A lone amateur built the Ark. A large group of professionals built the Titanic. | | |
#11597 01/08/2002 2:36 AM | Joined: Mar 2000 Posts: 1,182 Red dot, center of chest ... | | Red dot, center of chest ... Joined: Mar 2000 Posts: 1,182 | Sounds like condensation to me. Just keep an eye on it. If you don't see it again, that's probably all it was.
[ 01-07-2002: Message edited by: baldeagle ] | | |
#11598 01/08/2002 3:19 PM | Joined: Jan 2000 Posts: 26 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Jan 2000 Posts: 26 | Leaking windshield gaskets will let water run down the dash, on to the shifter, and make it's way into the gear box. This happened to my '50 1.5 ton truck when I bought it. Froze it in third gear, luckily there was no damage. I siliconed the windshield gasket up for now, since the truck is sitting outside, waiting for the new shop to be built.
1942 Chevy G7104 1.5 ton 4x4 1946 Willys CJ-2A | | |
#11599 01/08/2002 3:32 PM | Joined: Feb 2001 Posts: 1,897 Member | | Member Joined: Feb 2001 Posts: 1,897 | Cheap protection to drain it again and refill it after driving it for a while.let it settle for a few hours before draining so any sediment will settle.
There is enough good in the worst of us and enough bad in the best of us that it does not behoove any of us to criticize the rest of us. - - Be yourself. If you are ever lost, It will be much easier to find yourself if you know who you are!
| | |
#11600 01/10/2002 11:38 PM | Joined: Aug 2001 Posts: 258 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Aug 2001 Posts: 258 | Josiah,
I'd bet on the Windshield & raise you a Cowl-vent; I've seen the water get in in both places and ultimately drip down on the shifter tower, and the rest is ... soup.
Perhaps draining, refilling with kero and a gentle run through the gears with the truck on jackstands, then an overnight drain and refill with gear lube wouldn't be extreme.
Hope there's no tragedies inside "Pandora's Box".
Frank McMullen 1941 Chevy dump truck 1949 GMC 100 pick-up 1954 Chevy 3600 pick-up 1955.1 4400 dump truck 1941 De Soto & other MoPars 1928 Model A F**D Special Coupe
| | |
#11601 01/11/2002 12:04 AM | Joined: Jan 2000 Posts: 26 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Jan 2000 Posts: 26 | Yeah, flush it out with kero, usually cleans it out a bit also. Keep flushing untill there are no water droplets in the kero.
1942 Chevy G7104 1.5 ton 4x4 1946 Willys CJ-2A | | |
| |
| |