Making slow progress on getting the truck back together, but I'm starting to get the driveshaft reassembled. I had the driveshaft tube replaced after the splined shaft broke off at the weld. I wasn't able to find an okie bushing for my year, so instead I bought some NOS bushings. The seal that came with the bushings is different than what was removed.

In these photos:
photo 1

photo 2

photo 3

shop manual

the parts at the top are what was removed, and at the bottom are the new parts. Judging by the illustration in the shop manual, the seal looks like it may be for a car.

The ID and OD of the new and old parts are the same considering a little ID wear on the old ones, except that the ID of the new seal is a lot smaller. This may be because the old one is just worn quite a bit. I'm sure I can get the new seal over the shaft, but it seems to be a very tight fit (haven't tried to completely fit it over yet).

Shaft OD ~ 1.030
Old seal ID ~ 1.028
New seal ID ~ 0.095
The old seal looks to be like a cork or something, and the new one looks like some kind of paper/fiber seal.

Anyone have any experience using this type of seal, or thoughts on installing it even though it's kind of tight on the splined shaft? I guess my concern is that the seal may grip the shaft and spin inside the torque tube instead of the other way around, or even cause a wear mark on the shaft once the oil get dirty over time. Thanks for any thoughts.


1938 Chevy 1/2-ton
More info in the Gallery Forum
She looks good at 50 yards, and 35 miles per hour, on a dark night.