The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
2 members (Woodcmiami, Bill Hanlon), 100 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,113
Posts1,056,279
Members48,439
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#1157653 03/30/2016 8:52 PM
Joined: Feb 2016
Posts: 15
C
New Guy
New Guy
C Offline
Joined: Feb 2016
Posts: 15
Hey all,
I decided against a V8 swap and want to rebuild my 292 with more performance, seems cooler to me...I would like to try and squeeze 250+ hp out of it, and would like to do as much on my own as I can. *BUT* this is my first inline build so I'm looking for any info on weak spots of the 292, engine recipes, any sort of "don't ever do this" or "definitely do this" info you pro's might have for a new guy. I've done a little research and am pretty certain I'm going to send my head to the www.12bolt.com guys for some work, what work exactly I still don't know haha...but any info will help thanks.

Question 2: has anyone put a Muncie or Saginaw 4 speed behind their inline before? Just wondering how complicated it is. Thanks

Joined: Feb 2015
Posts: 273
M
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
M Offline
Joined: Feb 2015
Posts: 273
There is a book everyone always brings up when this is asked, but the title escapes me. I'll see if I have it saved somewhere. In the meantime, someone else may come up with it.

Larry W.


1953 3800 Dually Flatbed
Joined: Feb 2015
Posts: 273
M
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
M Offline
Joined: Feb 2015
Posts: 273


1953 3800 Dually Flatbed
Joined: Dec 2008
Posts: 1,922
P
'Bolter
'Bolter
P Offline
Joined: Dec 2008
Posts: 1,922
squeeze 250+ hp out of it
It can be done, but it's expensive. There's no practical way to increase engine size, and you can only raise compression until it won't run on pump gas.
This leaves 2 avenues of approach: higher efficiency (porting, cam, valve size) and higher RPM.
It's also not the same 250 hp you would get from a mild 350 - it will have less low and mid-range power, and only produce peak power at higher RPM.

It does make a pretty good turbo project if you can fabricate.

Joined: Feb 2016
Posts: 15
C
New Guy
New Guy
C Offline
Joined: Feb 2016
Posts: 15
Ok great, thanks, I had seen some stuff about that book in some of my searches, but I typically like the advice of guys who have actually done the work but this book must check out if I've seen it so much...thanks!!

Joined: Jun 2011
Posts: 5,096
E
Crusing in the Passing Lane
Crusing in the Passing Lane
E Offline
Joined: Jun 2011
Posts: 5,096
Look for propane Pistons to start with.

Ed


'37 GMC T-18 w/ DD 4-53T, RTO-610, 6231 aux., '95 GMC running gear, full disc brakes, power steering, 22.5 wheels and tires.
'47 GMC 1 ton w/ 302, NP-540, 4wd, full width Blazer front axle.
'54 GMC 630 w/ 503 gasser, 5 speed, ex fire truck, shortened WB 4', install 8' bed.
'55 GMC 370 w/270, 420 4 speed, grain, dump bed truck from ND. Works OK.
Joined: Dec 2008
Posts: 1,922
P
'Bolter
'Bolter
P Offline
Joined: Dec 2008
Posts: 1,922

Joined: Feb 2016
Posts: 15
C
New Guy
New Guy
C Offline
Joined: Feb 2016
Posts: 15
Originally Posted by EdPruss
Look for propane Pistons to start with.

Ed

Propane Pistons? Honesty moment here, I have never heard of that on gas engines haha. Is it similar to propane injection on a diesel? I have a couple crazy diesel friends that were big on that for a while but I still don't really know anything about it

Joined: Jul 2008
Posts: 326
S
'Bolter
'Bolter
S Offline
Joined: Jul 2008
Posts: 326
Propane or LPG pistons have a smaller dish/recess to give a higher compression ratio.

SimS

Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 29,805
H
Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer)
Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer)
H Offline
Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 29,805
Originally Posted by coronettom
Honesty moment here, I have never heard of that on gas engines haha.

Stick around- - - - -you might actually learn something if you drop the attitude case. Ed has probably forgotten more about stovebolt engines in general than you will be able to learn in the next year or two. Most industrial engines like the 292 Chevy and the Ford 300 6 cylinder have optional parts available for offroad applications, and Propane-fueled engines are used a lot for irrigation pumps, generators, and farm equipment. Since Propane is approximately 110 octane, compression ratios in the 11:1 range are not uncommon on engines running on straight Propane, not in a dual-fuel capacity. When I was in charge of the maintenance shop for a sand, gravel, and concrete producer, virtually every spark-ignition engine we had ran on Propane, and most of them were set up for high compression.
Jerry


"It is better to be silent and be thought a fool than to speak and eliminate all doubt!" - Abraham Lincoln
Cringe and wail in fear, Eloi- - - - -we Morlocks are on the hunt!
There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. - Ernest Hemingway
Love your enemies and drive 'em nuts!

Moderated by  Phak1, Woogeroo 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0