Click on image for the lowdown. 
====
| | | Forums66 Topics128,081 Posts1,056,321 Members48,442 | | Most Online14,466 Apr 26th, 2026 | | AD Chevy Trucks Over 6,000 pictures Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips. Check them out!
Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!
| | THANKS!
For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for over 30 years! and not clogged down with Ads! Again, thanks! | | | | Joined: Aug 2013 Posts: 116 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Aug 2013 Posts: 116 | So, I have a 1954 3800. The inside, with exception to the door uppers, is a tan/beige color. I need a new headliner which is also that same tan color. The closest I could find was medium brown but when I just received it from Jim Carter it is REALLY brown. I haven't found any others that may fit. Has anyone else found this to be a problem? Do I need to accept my headliner will be brown?
1942 BK 1/2 Ton Pickup 1954 3800 1 Ton Pickup
| | | | | Joined: Sep 2001 Posts: 29,269 Bubba - Curmudgeon | | Bubba - Curmudgeon Joined: Sep 2001 Posts: 29,269 | I think JC is, as usual, correct (for standard 1954 cab interior color - Pearl Beige). However, this sales brochure shows a headliner that matches the interior color? (sales brochure are often done by artists, not by photographs) Deluxe interior (Pulsar Gray, with light Gray headliner) and two-tone interiors had other colors (none of them light tan). Chevs of the 40s also sells black, brown, and gray. Classic Parts - black, brown, and gray (and 2-tone interior). You could paint the headliner whatever color suits you. I suggest painting/sealing the top/edges of the cardboard headliner to diminish warpage from moisture. | | | | | Joined: Aug 2013 Posts: 116 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Aug 2013 Posts: 116 | Well, Since the seat is brown, and the door trims (I guess that's what you call them, just below the window) I don't think the brown headliner would be too bad. Who know's maybe the original owner before me painted it over time.
Anyway, thanks for the help (again)!
1942 BK 1/2 Ton Pickup 1954 3800 1 Ton Pickup
| | | | | Joined: Sep 2001 Posts: 29,269 Bubba - Curmudgeon | | Bubba - Curmudgeon Joined: Sep 2001 Posts: 29,269 | I think that brown would look good.
Consider my advice to seal the top and edges of the cardboard headliner.
Humidity/condensation will quickly deform the cardboard.
| | | | | Joined: Jul 2008 Posts: 1,321 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Jul 2008 Posts: 1,321 | Tim, Consider my advice to seal the top and edges of the cardboard headliner. Can you add more detail as to how? Thanks, Harold
Harold Is a restoration ever finished? | | | | | Joined: Sep 2001 Posts: 29,269 Bubba - Curmudgeon | | Bubba - Curmudgeon Joined: Sep 2001 Posts: 29,269 | Harold,
Do you use any 2-part urethane? - spray the cardboard panel with good side down (try to get a good seal on the edges )
Maybe people will recommend a brush-on or spray-can paint that will seal cardboard from moisture?
| | | | | Joined: Jul 2008 Posts: 1,321 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Jul 2008 Posts: 1,321 | Tim, Thanks, Do you think the Spray Can "Clear" would work? Harold
Harold Is a restoration ever finished? | | | | | Joined: Sep 2001 Posts: 29,269 Bubba - Curmudgeon | | Bubba - Curmudgeon Joined: Sep 2001 Posts: 29,269 | I am paint "illiterate/ignorant". Maybe someone with knowledge/experience will reply?
You might want to check the product description on-line. It might give information about moisture resistance.
Good luck.
| | |
| |