The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
7 members (Charles in CA, LAROKE, Wally / Montana, Cletus1950, 78buckshot, TrknGMC, UtahYork), 137 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,107
Posts1,056,221
Members48,436
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: Sep 2008
Posts: 293
W
'Bolter
'Bolter
W Offline
Joined: Sep 2008
Posts: 293
What is the spring rate for the stock rear springs under my '57 Suburban?
I would like to know as a baseline before I buy new springs: I find the stock springs a bit stiff, so I would be able to get springs a bit softer...
Thanks!


'57 Chevy Suburban; '70 Chevy Impala.
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,269
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,269

Joined: May 2005
Posts: 8,983
B
Sir Searchalot
Sir Searchalot
B Offline
Joined: May 2005
Posts: 8,983
Don't mess with mother nature. All trucks bounce in rear when not loaded. Let some air out of the rear tires wink


Right is right, even if everyone is against it, and wrong is wrong, even if everyone is for it. - William Penn
Joined: Sep 2008
Posts: 293
W
'Bolter
'Bolter
W Offline
Joined: Sep 2008
Posts: 293
Thanks, Tclerderman!
Bartamos, I am worried about riding on the rims...


'57 Chevy Suburban; '70 Chevy Impala.
Joined: Feb 2012
Posts: 506
L
'Bolter
'Bolter
L Offline
Joined: Feb 2012
Posts: 506
Wave;

Depends on what you want to be able to do with your Burb. If it will just be a cruiser and won't be called upon to carry a full load of people and stuff, I'm sure you can find some softer springs. I have seen mono leaf springs that will lower the truck as well.

If you want your Burb to still be useable as a truck, like I do, I'd get stock replacement springs if necessary or just keep the ones you have. I've never found my 58 to be stiff or uncomfortable. Always seems to ride nicely to me.


Thanks

Larry
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,269
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,269
Good advice, Larry

I remember driving my Suburban at the ATHS show in Balt/MD and at the ATCA show in Macungie/PA with 6 big-boy passengers. The 1,500+ human-weight load was noticeable on corners, and when braking. In PA, it was nice have the SM420 sub-low gear.

Previous to those events, the last time I had a full load of people (hippies) was on a 500 mile trip down to Atlanta Georgia to see the Grateful Dead in 1973. I do not remember much about that trip, or even how well the truck drove.

Softer springs have never been in my mind or in my plans.

"If it will just be a cruiser and won't be called upon to carry a full load of people and stuff, I'm sure you can find some softer springs." (Larry)

Joined: Sep 2008
Posts: 293
W
'Bolter
'Bolter
W Offline
Joined: Sep 2008
Posts: 293
Gratefull Dead in '73, nice memories, what little there is!
Anyway, my Suburban does not have back seats, and it will mostly see camping gear in the back, so... And I did sya "a bit softer".
And knowing the OEM spring rate helps me think about it all.
Thanks for the input, anyway!


'57 Chevy Suburban; '70 Chevy Impala.

Moderated by  MNSmith, Rusty Rod 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0