The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
7 members (KEVINSKI, Joe H, Charles in CA, MickeyP, Bill Hanlon, Possum, 3800GUY), 131 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,108
Posts1,056,558
Members48,448
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#1155874 03/20/2016 4:19 PM
Joined: Nov 2008
Posts: 293
S
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
S Offline
Joined: Nov 2008
Posts: 293
I have a 66 Suburban with the heavy duty rear spring package. I was told by a local who owned a Suburban, that it rides way too rough with the HD Springs. I picked up a set of standard springs from a 1/2 Ton pickup, with the intent of putting them in. It seems kind of strange to me that the HD springs have the center coils contacting. I have never driven the vehicle, so I have no idea of what the ride is like. Does anyone have any experience with the 2 types of springs, and which would work best? I do not plan to overload or tow with the vehicle. I have just one rear seat. The top picture is the HD spring, and the second picture is the standard spring.
Thanks for the help.

http://s1375.photobucket.com/user/rps2657/media/DSCN0903_zpsdiccuhvb.jpg.html

http://s1375.photobucket.com/user/rps2657/media/DSCN0904_zpssi2znres.jpg.html

Joined: May 2005
Posts: 8,983
B
Sir Searchalot
Sir Searchalot
B Offline
Joined: May 2005
Posts: 8,983
The 1966 C10 came standard with two stage rear coil springs. Similar to your first picture. An optional higher load rating was available but was also two stage. The only single stage, similar to your second picture, came on panels, not suburban. Don't know where/who you got the single stage spring from or what year truck? I assume the difference in the two, two stage coils available for your Burb are "wire diameter" which is one of the factors that determines spring rate. You will have to study up to find out how to tell one from the other and if you actually have the optional "heavy duty". While your springs do look stock, I do not think they should be touching without load. The center coils do touch first however. This seems to be introduced in 1963. Some folks call the two stage, "progressive". If you find a donor pair of two stage, standard duty that are not touching, they will ride just fine. The two stage you show are on "heavy duty" all the time. wink
Another option was a leaf spring helper in rear.


Right is right, even if everyone is against it, and wrong is wrong, even if everyone is for it. - William Penn

Moderated by  MNSmith, Rusty Rod 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0