The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
8 members (Swami29, Otto Skorzeny, cmayna, tclederman, klhansen, KEVINSKI, StevenO, 55shaker), 122 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,114
Posts1,056,605
Members48,448
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: Feb 2015
Posts: 33
K
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
K Offline
Joined: Feb 2015
Posts: 33
Hi, wondering what I'm doing wrong, When I bought my 57-3100 the horn was not functional. The owner had hooked up a different horn by passing the original wiring by putting in a button. The horn is in place but not wired, My concern is the horn button assembly.. I recently replaced the contact and spring assembly,the horn button contact assembly and the horn button. The horn cap doesn't sit into the contact and falls out. There is a large gap between the button and the steering wheel maybe 1/2" inch or so. Does any of this make sense. Is there another part that is missing? Thanks


Thanks, keep truckin!
Joined: Dec 2015
Posts: 2,063
Big Bolt Forum Moderator
Big Bolt Forum Moderator
Joined: Dec 2015
Posts: 2,063
the contact and spring goes through the steering wheel and makes contact with the top of the steering column bushing. Is this the piece you replaced?
http://www.americanclassic.com/images/SMBC6.jpg

Once the steering wheel is on, you install the contact plate http://www.americanclassic.com/images/HCP5.jpg The horn button "snaps" into this piece. If this is all rusted or corroded inside, it will not make good connection and will not activate your horn relay.

Have you verified your wire that goes down through the steering column is not broken?


Mike
1955 Chevy 6400 ex-flatbed (no bed now!) sold September 2023
In the Stovebolt Gallery
1958 Chevy 6400 flatbed W/dump
In the Stovebolt Gallery
1959 Chevy Suburban Owned for almost 20 years, Daily Driver -- sold May 2016
In the Stovebolt Gallery

Sufficient unto the day is the evil thereof
Joined: Aug 2014
Posts: 307
S
'Bolter
'Bolter
S Offline
Joined: Aug 2014
Posts: 307
on my 53 i replaced the "mast bearing" which the horn wire connects with and exits the steering wheel shaft. With help from this forum it was pretty easily done.

Joined: Feb 2015
Posts: 33
K
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
K Offline
Joined: Feb 2015
Posts: 33
Thanks Cuda,yes I replace both of those items but I also replaced the hub assembly as the directional switches were shot. I will start investigating again, I guess the first is to make sure the horn button fits into the contact assembly, it always seems to slide off the contact or fins. Thanks for your help, I thought there might be another part that was missing. I will report back once I figure it out


Thanks, keep truckin!
Joined: Dec 2015
Posts: 2,063
Big Bolt Forum Moderator
Big Bolt Forum Moderator
Joined: Dec 2015
Posts: 2,063
Kevin, Have you verified that the horn relay works? Also, follow the horn wire coming out of the steering column all the way yo the horn relay. You should be able to ground that contact and trip the horn relay and sound the horn. If not, your relay is bad. You should also be able to put an ohm meter across that wire and ground (when disconnected from the horn relay) and it should have continuity when you depress the horn button.


Mike
1955 Chevy 6400 ex-flatbed (no bed now!) sold September 2023
In the Stovebolt Gallery
1958 Chevy 6400 flatbed W/dump
In the Stovebolt Gallery
1959 Chevy Suburban Owned for almost 20 years, Daily Driver -- sold May 2016
In the Stovebolt Gallery

Sufficient unto the day is the evil thereof
Joined: Oct 2002
Posts: 4,066
Bolter
Bolter
Joined: Oct 2002
Posts: 4,066
brakes are more important then the horn, some folks dont like to be honked at.......but.. I did installed an after market button type on mine. never used it the 9 yrs i had the truck


Redryder pix
My Hotrod
A veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard, or reserve - is someone who, at one point in his or her life, wrote a blank check made payable to The 'United States of America', for an amount of "up to and including my life."
I am fighting cancer and I am winning the fight | Pain is part of life; misery is an option.


Moderated by  Jon G, Rusty Rod 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0