I have had
automotive clear coat on
my red oak bed for nine years with virtually no failure. There is no spar varnish or urethane that I have seen that will hold up as well as this automotive clear has. I got the trick from
Bruce Horkey , who builds bed boards and beds and finishes them for a living.
Now interestingly enough, I notice on his website linked above that they are indicating "spar varnish" finishes available but I'm not sure if that's an indication that they are no longer doing the clear coats. Bruce told me a few years ago that the cost of doing bed boards that way is just too expensive because it is built up over a period of days and then rubbed out over a period of days so there's a lot of labor involved and he was not able to recoup the labor that was used.
The bottom line for me is that my bed looks today pretty much the way it did in '93 when I put this on. I have some breakthrough on the end grain, but the face grain is all holding up like brand spanky new.
[img]
http://www.oldgmctrucks.com/photos/huckbed3.jpg[/img]
You have to thin the clear 50% and brush on the first three or four coats, knocking down any raised grain with 220 in between coats. Then start laying on the clear and then the final coats you can spray. After that you rub out the finish like you would any automotive finish, but it is built in so many layers that it's bulletproof. Being as flexible and UV resistant as it is (don't forget they use it on flexible bumper covers) it works great.
I am actually doing the first touch up work on some sections that have a little breakthrough this winter but all in all, it's held up 10X better than any spar varnish or spar urethanes that I have used.
The only drawback is you can not use clear if the wood is stained. Most wood stains will not work with the clear chemistry.