The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
6 members (MaxStewart, MikeE, ShopRag, 59 fleet, DougH6100, Hotrod Lincoln), 141 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,128
Posts1,056,661
Members48,450
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: Jan 2016
Posts: 11
M
New Guy
New Guy
M Offline
Joined: Jan 2016
Posts: 11
Is anyone familiar with Yellow Coach copper plated con rod bearings. they say they are NORS...are they any good?. They don't look like regular ones.

Joined: Apr 2012
Posts: 135
B
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
B Offline
Joined: Apr 2012
Posts: 135
The bearings I see listed on ebay under Yellow coach are made by different manufacturers. I don't know where the yellow coach comes from. I have seen one set on ebay that looks like they're copper plated, however, I have never heard of such a thing. I see others listed under the yellow coach name, but they are are made by Federal Mogul and look like regular bearings. Confusing to me!



Joined: Jan 2008
Posts: 4,962
C
'Bolter
'Bolter
C Offline
Joined: Jan 2008
Posts: 4,962
Yellow Coach was a bus manufacturer that was owned by General Motors. The Yellow Coach name was phased out in 1943 and the buses became GM. Most of the engines used in the Yellow Coach buses were much larger than those used in small trucks. Google Yellow Coach and you can read about it in detail.

Joined: Oct 2009
Posts: 46
D
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
D Offline
Joined: Oct 2009
Posts: 46
Curious. Are you sure it's copper? Steel backed? Bronze was popular back then. What are brand and part #s on back? I've got many YC manuals and Brg mfg listings from 'teens onward.

Joined: Jan 2016
Posts: 11
M
New Guy
New Guy
M Offline
Joined: Jan 2016
Posts: 11
The ebay listing says they are copper plated and they look like it too. here is a link to the listing.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/221839597130?rmvSB=true
They say on the box that they are resizable which makes no difference to me...I just wonder if they have good wear characteristics.

Joined: Oct 2009
Posts: 46
D
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
D Offline
Joined: Oct 2009
Posts: 46
Mike, I'm familiar w/ the many offerings of Johnson. Have many collecting dust. Those pictured appear to be Babbitt lined bronze backed. NON resizable, meaning the Babbitt is very thin for strength. Babbitt is gentle on the crank jrnl. Those bearings are .002" under std size. the SB refers to the Babbitt overlay and code for brg construction. They're really not worth anything. Who has a perfect crank worn .002"? I'm tripping on them. David

Joined: Jan 2016
Posts: 11
M
New Guy
New Guy
M Offline
Joined: Jan 2016
Posts: 11
Sorry that was the wrong listing.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/322020171445?rmvSB=true
These are only $120 for the set so I am tempted.
The actual name on the boxes is Thompson Products so I don't know why they even mention Yellow Coach.

Joined: Oct 2009
Posts: 46
D
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
D Offline
Joined: Oct 2009
Posts: 46
Thompson Products made MANY replacement aftermarket parts for decades. Those brgs fit GM engs. Many YC buses, etc used GM engs. Have you verified they will actually apply to your eng or the condition/size of your jrnls? I'm judging from your questions here that this is all a new adventure to you. I'd verify that you actually could use these brgs before purchase. Otherwise they'll collect dust on your shelf, too.

Joined: Jan 2008
Posts: 4,962
C
'Bolter
'Bolter
C Offline
Joined: Jan 2008
Posts: 4,962
There is nothing wrong with the brand. Thompson is now TRW. But unless your crank is .020 under, I would stay away from them. 60 to 70 years ago, when oil was not very good, cranks would wear a lot. It was common to buy undersize bearings and resize them individually using plastigage for sizing. It was a tedious job of honing the bearings and it wasn't very accurage. If you have a 46 GMC with a 228,236,248, or 270 bearings from 39 to about 1952 will interchange. I would mike the crank first before you buy anything. The chances are that you can get by with standard bearings. If not, I would recommend having the crank turned to a standard undersize.

Joined: Jan 2016
Posts: 11
M
New Guy
New Guy
M Offline
Joined: Jan 2016
Posts: 11
Im just new to stovebolt trucks...and finding parts for them. I've been working on cars and engines since I was a kid. this crank has been ground 0.020 under...main and rod journals. Cylinders still in std spec... just going with a light hone on them and putting in std rings.
I've seen FM main bearings going for over $200 and thought these may be a good deal at $120 if the quality is good. that's the only basis for my original question.

Joined: Oct 2009
Posts: 46
D
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
D Offline
Joined: Oct 2009
Posts: 46
Mr Crenwelge, I believe, as I posted that those brgs are two thousandths undersize, not twenty as you posted. I've hundreds of them in all sizes from those years. Always mic the wall thickness adding 1/2 the OS to verify. Don't trust the part just because the box marking is correct for your use.David

Joined: Oct 2009
Posts: 46
D
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
D Offline
Joined: Oct 2009
Posts: 46
Mr. Crenwelge, Sorry , My bad. Hadn't seen that second batch of brgs link . Yes, those obviously are Twenty US. Appear to be bronze. They can be hard (dirt scoring)on a jrnl. I only use them as last resort. Sometimes I take stds or two unders and Babbitt them for an US crank. Today's oil should go a long way keeping wear to a minimum, though. David


Moderated by  Phak1, Woogeroo 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0