Click on image for the lowdown. 
====
| | |
1 members (klhansen),
158
guests, and
5
robots. | | Key: Admin,
Global Mod,
Mod | | | Forums66 Topics128,089 Posts1,056,141 Members48,436 | | Most Online14,466 Apr 26th, 2026 | | AD Chevy Trucks Over 6,000 pictures Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips. Check them out!
Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!
| | THANKS!
For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for over 30 years! and not clogged down with Ads! Again, thanks! | | | | Joined: Sep 2001 Posts: 29,269 Bubba - Curmudgeon | | Bubba - Curmudgeon Joined: Sep 2001 Posts: 29,269 | What year transmission & rear end?
The Shop Manual and Operator's Manual for that/those years will tell you the grade of gear oil needed. If you do not have those manuals, they might be on-line. The brand of the oil is not significant, if the oil meets the grade-specs.
| | | | | Joined: Feb 2016 Posts: 173 Gabriel Sandoval | | Gabriel Sandoval Joined: Feb 2016 Posts: 173 | I ordered the operating manual a few days ago, it should be here any time soon, I hope it specifies what oil to use, I think the rear end is one of the most neglected parts of a vehicle. On another note, I just got the throttle-choke cable bracket, hopefully it will install well. | | | | | Joined: Sep 2001 Posts: 29,269 Bubba - Curmudgeon | | Bubba - Curmudgeon Joined: Sep 2001 Posts: 29,269 | What year transmission & rear end?
Some of us have manuals. Many manual are on-line. | | | | | Joined: Feb 2016 Posts: 173 Gabriel Sandoval | | Gabriel Sandoval Joined: Feb 2016 Posts: 173 | Hi Tim, I have no reason to believe the rear end has been changed on this 46 Chevy 1/2 ton. The transmission also seems to be the same, 4 speed granny no synchro. I might get to it today, it will be raining in Northern California for the whole week. | | | | | Joined: Feb 2016 Posts: 173 Gabriel Sandoval | | Gabriel Sandoval Joined: Feb 2016 Posts: 173 | Thanks Tim, I had never heard of Mineral oil, but it looks like it accepts "all purpose oil" also "universal gear oil" as long as it's 90 weight. You learn something new every day  I'm getting on it today. Thanks again. | | | | | Joined: Feb 2016 Posts: 173 Gabriel Sandoval | | Gabriel Sandoval Joined: Feb 2016 Posts: 173 | Hello again Tim and everybody else that has been kind enough to help me. I finally took pictures of the heads exterior Id #. It's in the picture below. I also took the carb off. Besides the custom choke bracket, I found out it also has a custom center bar (don't know what it's called, but I'll probably have to replace that piece too. The choke butterfly's control, where the choke cable hooks up was turned what I believe is 180 degrees or upside down. I can't seem to figure out how to flip it back to stock configuration. Is this something best left to the pros? I almost feel like getting a rebuilt carb perhaps a carter as was suggested but am afraid I won't be able to connect the choke and throttle cable to it. Also, this carb is working fine and don't currently have the means to purchase another carb. I hope you guys can help. Thanks ahead of time. Head id # custom bar-upside down choke cable hook up- new throttle/choke bracket how carb was setup incorrectly, choke cable should pull from opposite side carb top view
Last edited by ClassicsR4Me; 03/07/2016 8:26 AM.
| | | | | Joined: Feb 2016 Posts: 173 Gabriel Sandoval | | Gabriel Sandoval Joined: Feb 2016 Posts: 173 | P.S. How the choke cable was set up did not allow for the chokes butterfly to fully open surely robbing some performance from the engine, also the base for the air cleaner to carb had no gasket nor did the air cleaner to base have a gasket, this would I think allow for a minor vacuume leak if I'm not mistaken potentially robbing more performance from the engine, hopefully I can remedy all these problems when the carb is set back to stock
Last edited by ClassicsR4Me; 03/07/2016 8:36 AM.
| | | | | Joined: Sep 2001 Posts: 29,269 Bubba - Curmudgeon | | Bubba - Curmudgeon Joined: Sep 2001 Posts: 29,269 | Head casting code: 3836850 = 1957-1963 261 head There is a head-date casting-code under the valve cover on the left rear of the head. This one is L 17 9 = 12-17-1959 | | | | | Joined: Feb 2016 Posts: 173 Gabriel Sandoval | | Gabriel Sandoval Joined: Feb 2016 Posts: 173 | Hey Tim, I finally got the valve cover off to paint it, here's the inside code, I appreciate the help deciphering the codes, it's been of great help. Head code Painting Chevy Emblem Chevy Emblem | | | | | Joined: Sep 2001 Posts: 29,269 Bubba - Curmudgeon | | Bubba - Curmudgeon Joined: Sep 2001 Posts: 29,269 | Head casting code: 3836850 : 261 for several years Head date casting code: J 3 6 J = 10 = October 3 = 3rd 6 = 1956 | | | | | Joined: Feb 2016 Posts: 173 Gabriel Sandoval | | Gabriel Sandoval Joined: Feb 2016 Posts: 173 | Nice, a 1956 261. Runs like a champ, now I'm just detailing it. Pictures to come soon. | | | | | Joined: Oct 2012 Posts: 307 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Oct 2012 Posts: 307 | I installed my 261 in a step van and hooked up oil lines and filter. I just discovered the issue of the position of the dowel for full flow. I purchased the engine rebuilt and the dowel is in just about 1/8 of an inch. Now that the engine is installed, I have very little room for a hammer to get it in any further. I am getting some oil to the rockers, but not a lot to the front. Looking for advice. Just leave it & install smaller lines? A good trick to get the dowel to move? Suggestions or comments welcome! Thanks.
1958 Chevy Grumman Olson step van
| | | | | Joined: Feb 2016 Posts: 173 Gabriel Sandoval | | Gabriel Sandoval Joined: Feb 2016 Posts: 173 | Hey Chaz, sorry my friend, mine didn't come with the bi pass oil filter so I don't have a good idea of how it should go. Its a sweet engine though. Heres a picture of what mine looks like now that its detailed a bit. 261 Jobmaster | | | | | Joined: Feb 2016 Posts: 173 Gabriel Sandoval | | Gabriel Sandoval Joined: Feb 2016 Posts: 173 | | | | | | Joined: Oct 2012 Posts: 307 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Oct 2012 Posts: 307 | Beauty engine! Looks great! What year is yours? Dowel in? I'm a little surprised that this topic is still somewhat in the unexplaned category. I did find a pic of a 1960 engine like mine that had the dowel recessed the same amount as mine, about an 1/8th. I don't think it is a coincidence either. Mine does not have the small port to the left of the oil line under the doewel either. My suspicion is that this one is set up for full flow only. I will turn the oil pump and see what happens. Does anyone have a post 60 261 engine with the dowel 5/8ths in?
1958 Chevy Grumman Olson step van
| | | | | Joined: Aug 2004 Posts: 1,418 ODSS Lawman | | ODSS Lawman Joined: Aug 2004 Posts: 1,418 | Fortunately I have a few of these fine engine laying around. Here is a photo of my 261 in the truck, with the dowel pressed in. Dowel in Here is a photo on one that is out, or in bypass mode. Dowel flush
SWEET Sergeant At Arms: Old Dominion Stovebolt Society BUNS?!?!?!Where we're going, we don't need no buns.....1950 GMC 450 1951 Chevy 1/2-TonThe GreenMachineIn the Stovebolt Gallery | | | | | Joined: Feb 2016 Posts: 173 Gabriel Sandoval | | Gabriel Sandoval Joined: Feb 2016 Posts: 173 | Thanks Chaz. Mines a 1956, Tim, who posted in previous comments, helped me decipher what it was. I'm very happy with it. It's already hauling stuff. People give me that look like they can't believe I'm using my classic truck for work, but trust me, that's what they were made for, that's what will keep'em young. | | | | | Joined: Sep 2001 Posts: 29,269 Bubba - Curmudgeon | | Bubba - Curmudgeon Joined: Sep 2001 Posts: 29,269 | Sweet, I hope you do not mind that I copied your photos and lightened up the dark one (the "plug-in" photo), and then I put those photos on a quick-and-dirty web page, side-by-side. 1958-1963 261 engines oil filter options If anyone has a 58-63 261 block and can take a good photo of the "port" for the by-pass filter lines, please post a link to the photo and I add it to that web page. If anyone has a 58-63 Canadian 261 block and can take a good photo of the oil filter "ports", please post a link to the photo and I add it to that web page. Thanks, | | | | | Joined: Aug 2004 Posts: 1,418 ODSS Lawman | | ODSS Lawman Joined: Aug 2004 Posts: 1,418 | Tim, great idea. Do as you wish with any of my photos.
I have a photo of the smaller ports, Tim check your email.
Last edited by SWEET; 04/09/2016 5:04 PM.
SWEET Sergeant At Arms: Old Dominion Stovebolt Society BUNS?!?!?!Where we're going, we don't need no buns.....1950 GMC 450 1951 Chevy 1/2-TonThe GreenMachineIn the Stovebolt Gallery | | | | | Joined: Oct 2012 Posts: 307 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Oct 2012 Posts: 307 | I noticed today that my engine does not have the 1/8 plug to the left of the 1/2 out oil line. I decided to heat up the dowel some just to se if it would give a little-NOPE. I read on a post that some dowels were out but still had full flow. Pad the room for me fellas!
1958 Chevy Grumman Olson step van
| | | | | Joined: Oct 2012 Posts: 307 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Oct 2012 Posts: 307 | So I am getting full flow with the dowel in the out postion. it was not fully flush with the block, in about an 1/8 of an inch.
1958 Chevy Grumman Olson step van
| | | | | Joined: Aug 2004 Posts: 1,418 ODSS Lawman | | ODSS Lawman Joined: Aug 2004 Posts: 1,418 | Chaz, can you take a photo and post?
SWEET Sergeant At Arms: Old Dominion Stovebolt Society BUNS?!?!?!Where we're going, we don't need no buns.....1950 GMC 450 1951 Chevy 1/2-TonThe GreenMachineIn the Stovebolt Gallery | | | | | Joined: Oct 2012 Posts: 307 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Oct 2012 Posts: 307 | I already have the updraft carb in Sweet. It unfortunately obscures a picture of the dowel in its out position. Here is a picture of another 261 that has its dowel in the same position as mine. http://www.chevytalk.org/fusionbb/showtopic.php?tid/311269/
1958 Chevy Grumman Olson step van
| | | | | Joined: Sep 2001 Posts: 29,269 Bubba - Curmudgeon | | Bubba - Curmudgeon Joined: Sep 2001 Posts: 29,269 | Chaz 58, If your pin/plug/dowel is in this position, it is the "In" position (we think) and we suppose that means a full-flow oil filter is required (or a hose/line from port-to-port on the block is required). | | | | | Joined: Oct 2012 Posts: 307 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Oct 2012 Posts: 307 | Yes, it's only in about 1/8th of an inch. I have read other posts that had an "out" dowel & still had full flow.
1958 Chevy Grumman Olson step van
| | | | | Joined: Oct 2012 Posts: 307 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Oct 2012 Posts: 307 | Please note that unlike the engine pictured, mine does not have a small port/plug to the left of the 1/2 oil port.
1958 Chevy Grumman Olson step van
| | | | | Joined: Sep 2001 Posts: 29,269 Bubba - Curmudgeon | | Bubba - Curmudgeon Joined: Sep 2001 Posts: 29,269 | | | | | | Joined: Jun 2011 Posts: 5,096 Crusing in the Passing Lane | | Crusing in the Passing Lane Joined: Jun 2011 Posts: 5,096 |
'37 GMC T-18 w/ DD 4-53T, RTO-610, 6231 aux., '95 GMC running gear, full disc brakes, power steering, 22.5 wheels and tires. '47 GMC 1 ton w/ 302, NP-540, 4wd, full width Blazer front axle. '54 GMC 630 w/ 503 gasser, 5 speed, ex fire truck, shortened WB 4', install 8' bed. '55 GMC 370 w/270, 420 4 speed, grain, dump bed truck from ND. Works OK.
| | | | | Joined: Dec 2000 Posts: 3,399 Gas Pumper | | Gas Pumper Joined: Dec 2000 Posts: 3,399 | yup. There are a few different paragraphs on the subject. I have seen .63 and 5/8" so take your pick. The dowel itself is 1 inch long. It has to block (or not) an internal oil passage. http://devestechnet.com/Images/ChevPartsAccessories1929to59.pdfbottom of page 2 | | | | | Joined: Oct 2012 Posts: 307 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Oct 2012 Posts: 307 | The date code is F40, June 4 1960.
1958 Chevy Grumman Olson step van
| | | | | Joined: Sep 2001 Posts: 29,269 Bubba - Curmudgeon | | Bubba - Curmudgeon Joined: Sep 2001 Posts: 29,269 | Thanks, Chaz,
I will have to check my 1960 261 (it is now in a distant land) to see if it has the "small port/plug to the left of the 1/2 oil port". I'll also ask my friend with a 1959 261. There might have been differences in this "feature" between 1958-1963?
The more we think we have things figured out, the the more we find that we do not know.
| | | | | Joined: Dec 2000 Posts: 3,399 Gas Pumper | | Gas Pumper Joined: Dec 2000 Posts: 3,399 | How are you determining if you have full flow or bypass? I am just thinking out loud here, but that wouldn't be obvious.
If you spin the oil pump with the both inlet and outlet plugged/capped off, and you get oil at the rockers, it's in bypass. Not sure of a better way to check. | | | | | Joined: Oct 2012 Posts: 307 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Oct 2012 Posts: 307 | I think Tim is correct about the late 261 engines. I was getting oil to the rockers, but I was not sure if a significant amount of oil was getting to the filter. I took the filter off and turned the engine over a few times. I lost about half a quart, so it was coming out very good even without the engine running.
1958 Chevy Grumman Olson step van
| | | | | Joined: Dec 2000 Posts: 3,399 Gas Pumper | | Gas Pumper Joined: Dec 2000 Posts: 3,399 | All of mine are late 261's and they work as I have stated. If you plug both lines at the block and get oil to the rockers, it's in bypass. If you get NO oil to the rockers it's because you blocked the path via the dowel.
The full flow path is: The front outlet - pulls oil directly out of the pan and goes nowhere else until it flows through the filter and into the engine via the rear inlet. Plug either of those and the engine is starved completely. You must use a full flow filter that does NOT have a restrictor.
Bypass: You can plug either or both holes and there is an internal passage that will allow oil to get through.
So, if you think it is currently in full flow, there is no oil going to the rockers as pictured. Pushed all the way in, full flow. Remember though, once you push it in, you can't easily pull it back out so you want to make sure of your decision to go with full flow. | | | | | Joined: Sep 2001 Posts: 29,269 Bubba - Curmudgeon | | Bubba - Curmudgeon Joined: Sep 2001 Posts: 29,269 | What years for you late 261s, Deve?
Do they all have that small "pipe plug" to the left of the left full-flow port on the block? | | | | | Joined: Dec 2000 Posts: 3,399 Gas Pumper | | Gas Pumper Joined: Dec 2000 Posts: 3,399 | Yes, all have the plug beside it. I have a 717 and two 925's (3769). If there is a block out there that does not have that smaller port, I guess it IS possible that it is full flow only, but not real possible for them to be backwards since that would require a major internal change.
Since I have the 261 document on my site, I get phone calls all the time about this issue. Each time everyone has the same dowel action. The dowel hole is 1-5/8 inches deep. When out, bypass, when all the way back, full flow. The way to test is described above. With bypass, about 12-18% of the oil is filtered, with full flow all of it.
As you said though, there could be a block out there that is completely different but with the 717 casting code? | | | | | Joined: Sep 2001 Posts: 29,269 Bubba - Curmudgeon | | Bubba - Curmudgeon Joined: Sep 2001 Posts: 29,269 | What years for you late 261s, Deve? . . What are the date casting code years on your 261 blocks, Deve? | | | | | Joined: Dec 2000 Posts: 3,399 Gas Pumper | | Gas Pumper Joined: Dec 2000 Posts: 3,399 | Tim, you know what a pain in the butt you are right? Making me actually look, what a concept. THANKS! Here is new information..
The 717 has NO small port. That news however is negated by the fact that this engine has the dowel pushed all the way in to the 5/8" depth and has the large pipes running to the non-bypass filter. F0711LB / G 81 / 3769717
The 925's are L 17 4 and that one is a replacement no serial the other is G 22 and F0703J.
First time I noticed that one of the later castings has no small port. I guess they really aren't necessary since they can be adapted.
If the filter you are using is original, remember it makes a big difference if its bypass or full flow. The bypass model will have a 1/16th" restrictor inside the canister. That is not desired for full flow at all. Match the filter to the flow style.
| | |
| |