The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search
Time to gathering together!
Fall Happenings
That time of year with some last chances to get together in bunches. Time to check out:
THE SIDE LOT
From Coast to Coast and some International gatherings listed, too.

Next up: the ODSS gathers this week (Sept 22-24) at a yearly ATHS show in Winchester VA.

Since we put up this promo last week, a bunch of new postings of Swap Meets, Cruisin's, and more
in the SIDE LOT.
See what's happening with a Stovebolt Collective near you
Searching the Site

Get info about how to search the entire Stovebolt site here. To do a search for just the forums, get those details in the IT Shortbus fourm.
Old Truck Calendars
Months of truck photos!
Nothing like an old truck calendar

Stovebolt Calendars

Check for details!

Who's Online Now
0 members (), 79 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums60
Topics129,094
Posts1,046,668
Members46,191
Most Online1,229
Jan 21st, 2020
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#1152922 Wed Mar 02 2016 01:40 AM
B
Shop Shark
UPDATE:
Our weather has acted a bit like spring and has been just warm enough to melt snow and dry up some of the mud. I have been anxious to mess with the dump truck. First thing was to fill up an empty master cylinder. First kinda good news is I have enough brakes that I dare use the truck on the farm to move a pile of cow sunshine. The next bit of good news. I grabbed the handi-man jack and lifted the bed high enough to reach the fill port. Carefully, I put in a gallon of what is prescribed on the data tag. Cranked her up and up went the bed! Smooth as a babies behind. More later....

smile Alan

1947 (early) GMC EC-302 Dump Truck
Jimmy
In the Stovebolt Gallery
More pix in Photobucket
Big Bolt Forum Moderator
gotta love that!

Mike

1955 Chevy 6400 ex-flatbed (no bed now!)
In the Stovebolt Gallery [stovebolt.com]

1958 Chevy 6400 flatbed W/dump

1959 Chevy Suburban Owned for almost 20 years, Daily Driver -- sold May 2016

Sufficient unto the day is the evil thereof
B
Shop Shark
SECOND UPDATE:
You will see a little snow in the background, but I had to get some things done. One of those things was to spread some sunshine. I still have many things to resolve/repair/rebuild etc. but the old girl does work good as a dump. See the attached link.
The photo proves that we can have a hobby and actually use it constructively. So far, I am very unsure of the charging system, brakes are VERY marginal, lift cylinder needs to be resealed, tires are shot.......but what fun I had today. The sweet corn is going to real good with the sunshine spread!
http://s209.photobucket.com/user/al...C01141%20800x600.jpg.html?sort=3&o=0

smile Alan

Jimmy
In the Stovebolt Gallery
More pix in Photobucket
R
'Bolter
Looking good! it is fun to use them once in a while.

Rich

'47 Loadmaster [stovebolt.com]

1947 Chev. Loadmaster

1959 Chev. Viking 40

Genie: "I am the genie from a magic lamp and I have the power to grant you three wishes."
Me: "I want to be rich."
Genie: "OK, Rich, what's your second wish?"

B
Shop Shark
The good news for me is the fact that I got the sunshine moved as a storm is coming in for the next few days. I hauled a total of 12 loads. Now for the not so good news. I thought I was using a marginal generator and guess what, I was right with that surmise. I went out to start and move the dump truck and I didn't have enough battery to start it. It is time to rectify the generator issue!.

smile Alan

Jimmy
In the Stovebolt Gallery
More pix in Photobucket
E
New Guy
Looks like you have essentially the same as I do. My dump bed is from Daybrook in Bowling Green, OH.

My truck is currently sitting in south MS and I am about ready to try figuring out how to get it closer to me so I can do some restoration on it.

It has been such a blast to operate that old EC-302 during "Cruisin' the Coast" in South MS, but since I am not living there now, I need to get that pile of rust up here to make it pretty - and more functional.

It really tripped folks out to see me hand-crank start that old thing!

B
Shop Shark
Hello EC302leftfordead, DO you have pictures of your truck? Which wheels do you have? Does your truck have a 248? Is it a 1946 or early 47? I am hoping to get my wheels powder coated in the next few weeks. Then I will have tires that I can trust to drive on.

smile Alan

Jimmy
In the Stovebolt Gallery
More pix in Photobucket
E
New Guy
Not certain of actual build date, but I have number 8939. I believe that mine is a 236 engine, but right now I need to get to the truck (it is in south MS, I am in north TN) to verify some of the numbers again.
My great-grandfather bought the truck used for his farm in 1956. It was used until about 1970 (plate year on the truck when I got it) when the master cylinder went out and the truck got parked in the barn. My grandmother passed it on to me after my grandfather's death in 2011.
Career has kept me moving a lot as of late, so I have been fortunate enough to leave the truck plated and insured in MS.
Not very good at photos on these forums, and really don't have anything all that impressive.

'Bolter
Got Big Al's truck in the Gallery (check his signature line). Good story. Nice guy to talk with. Sounds like you all have been a good help here ... of course!

Peg

Peggy M
Bird's eye view is a bit different than the worm's.
E
New Guy
One thing I find amusing with my old 302 is actually hand-crank starting it.
I bought a crank off eBay that fits great. It has rusted up some since I bought it so it looks antique.
I really was freaking out a lot of people during last year's "Cruisin' the Coast" in MS by starting it "the old fashioned way".
It was very entertaining to let some petite gals start it that way, too!

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  69Cuda, Grigg 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop