Click on image for the lowdown. 
====
| | | Forums66 Topics128,089 Posts1,056,366 Members48,442 | | Most Online14,466 Apr 26th, 2026 | | AD Chevy Trucks Over 6,000 pictures Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips. Check them out!
Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!
| | THANKS!
For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for over 30 years! and not clogged down with Ads! Again, thanks! | | | | Joined: Aug 2013 Posts: 116 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Aug 2013 Posts: 116 | When I took off the drums on my '54 3800 I thought the passenger side was locked up because it was so hard to take off I had to pry it off with a screw driver. The driver side came off almost effortlessly. After rebuilding the brakes (new shoes, cylinders, springs) my father and I put the drums back on. When trying to spin the passenger side it was really really tight, even with the brakes adjusted all the way in. the Driver side, super loose so we adjusted it. It had my dad, who is mechanically inclined, scratching his head. The drum linings look to be worn about the same as well. So what could be the problem? How could it be possibly fixed? and are the any dangers with this?
1942 BK 1/2 Ton Pickup 1954 3800 1 Ton Pickup
| | | | | Joined: Jun 2004 Posts: 8,597 Riding in the Passing Lane | | Riding in the Passing Lane Joined: Jun 2004 Posts: 8,597 | You didn't specify front or rear. If it is the rear, the emerg. brake cable may be stuck or adjusted too tight. Try changing the drums side to side to see if one has been turned more then the other. If it is the front the brake hose may be swollen inside, but you probably replaced them. They say money can't buy happiness. It can buy old Chevy trucks though. Same thing. 1972 Chevy c10 Cheyenne SuperIn the Gallery Forum | | | | | Joined: Aug 2013 Posts: 116 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Aug 2013 Posts: 116 | I'm sorry, yes it is the front. And I did replace the hoses. But the one side is still tighter.
Last edited by 1942ChevyPfost; 02/23/2016 8:08 PM.
1942 BK 1/2 Ton Pickup 1954 3800 1 Ton Pickup
| | | | | Joined: Aug 2013 Posts: 116 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Aug 2013 Posts: 116 | I'm still scratching my head, my fathers head, and my mechanics head on this issue. lol
1942 BK 1/2 Ton Pickup 1954 3800 1 Ton Pickup
| | | | | Joined: Sep 2001 Posts: 29,269 Bubba - Curmudgeon | | Bubba - Curmudgeon Joined: Sep 2001 Posts: 29,269 | Why you had the brake parts off, did you remove the screws from each adjuster body, and then tighten the screw completely into adjuster body?
If you have no other options, try swapping the wheel/drum from one side to the other.
When you have the drums off, make sure the adjusters are properly "seated" against the shoes. | | | | | Joined: Aug 2013 Posts: 116 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Aug 2013 Posts: 116 | I misread the post above my last about swapping drums, thanks for suggesting it again. I'm going to try that tomorrow and see if there's a difference. If so I suppose just cut it down?
1942 BK 1/2 Ton Pickup 1954 3800 1 Ton Pickup
| | | | | Joined: Sep 2001 Posts: 29,269 Bubba - Curmudgeon | | Bubba - Curmudgeon Joined: Sep 2001 Posts: 29,269 | Measure them/drums before you cut one down.
Something else might be odd/different side-to-side.
Did you take apart the adjuster screws/bodies and clean them?
Good luck
| | |
| |