The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
3 members (Wally / Montana, Guitplayer, Jon G), 126 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,130
Posts1,056,717
Members48,454
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#115257 04/16/2004 12:47 PM
Joined: May 2000
Posts: 7
P
Junior Member
Junior Member
P Offline
Joined: May 2000
Posts: 7
I have a real nice '53 3/4 ton, but I want a 1/2 ton and I have a couple of not so nice 1/2 tons. I was thinking maybe I could swap the cab and fenders onto the 1/2 ton chasis. Are the cab mounts in the same location? What is the procedure for a cab swap? How many people does it take to handle a cab (sounds like a bad joke on that one)?

Thanks in ADvance!!

Joined: Jul 2000
Posts: 623
"MONGO"
"MONGO"
Joined: Jul 2000
Posts: 623
The cabs are the same, the bigger trucks just have bigger front fenders and hoods.
A buddie and I have lifted empty cabs off frames before and put them on my cart no problem. These were bare cabs, no seats,fueltank, glass anything that comes off was off. I've also done it with a less stripped cab with 5 guys two on each side and the extra guy pushed the frame out from under the cab when we lifted and pushed the cart under it so we didn't have to walk with it. Also lifted one by myself with a chain hoist, some big straps through the top of the cab and an A frame.
Two weekends ago at a swap there was a guy with a bar you put on your cherry picker to lift cabs I took pictures of it, will try to track them down and post em...
MONGO


Mongo's Garage
Vintage GM Truck's & Parts
https://mongosgarage.com
Joined: Mar 2002
Posts: 9,115
'Bolter
'Bolter
Joined: Mar 2002
Posts: 9,115
I think if you go back to about 48, the shackle mounting in the rear of the cab is different. You might want to be aware of that.


1951 GMC 1 Ton Flatbed -- It is finally on the road and what a great time I have driving it!
1951 1 Ton Completed


My Chevy Master 4 Door is on the Road!
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I have swapped a 1 ton 55 cab for a 1/2 ton 54 cab. No problems at all with mountings. They are identical. To lift the cabs on and off my frame I used my engine hoist by placing a piece of landscaping timber on the boom and securing it with duct tape then placing it through the door openings and pumping it up. Comes up with no problem. Just find the balance point which is closer to the front than the rear. It becomes a one man job doing it this way but it is better to have a spotter just for safety.

#115261 04/16/2004 10:14 PM
Joined: Jul 2000
Posts: 623
"MONGO"
"MONGO"
Joined: Jul 2000
Posts: 623
That's true truckernix, my 47 had the shackle in the back. I forgot about that all together.
MONGO


Mongo's Garage
Vintage GM Truck's & Parts
https://mongosgarage.com
Joined: May 2000
Posts: 7
P
Junior Member
Junior Member
P Offline
Joined: May 2000
Posts: 7
Thanks, guys!

I think I can do this. I appreciate the help.

Joined: May 2001
Posts: 7,438
Extreme Gabster
Extreme Gabster
Joined: May 2001
Posts: 7,438
I lifted mine with a couple of ratchet straps and a boom truck. The ratchet straps screwed up my stainless window trim. Wish I had thought of a landscape timber. :rolleyes:


"It's just a phase. He'll grow out of it." Mama, 1964

1956 Chevy 1/2-ton 3100
1953 Chevy 6100 "The Yard dog"
1954 GMC Suburban Now with a new proud owner.

Moderated by  klhansen 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0