Click on image for the lowdown. 
====
| | |
0 members (),
108
guests, and
0
robots. | | Key: Admin,
Global Mod,
Mod | | | Forums66 Topics128,115 Posts1,056,292 Members48,439 | | Most Online14,466 Apr 26th, 2026 | | AD Chevy Trucks Over 6,000 pictures Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips. Check them out!
Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!
| | THANKS!
For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for over 30 years! and not clogged down with Ads! Again, thanks! | | | | Joined: Dec 2001 Posts: 14 Member | | Member Joined: Dec 2001 Posts: 14 | are there any common leaks that occur when replacing the gasket between block and H2O pump? I have a 54' Chevy 1/2 ton 261, I took the belt off to replace it and when I did I noticed a small leak coming from underneath the pump, maybe from one of the bolts underneath?, really hard to tell. So anyway, I replaced the gasket ensuring all surfaces were clean, put a hair thin coating of silicone on both sides so it would stay in place put it all back together and the son of a $@#!%& is seeping ever so slightly, maybe a drip every 20 secs or so from underneath still!!!!!!!, does it take a little while for the gasket to swell? Need help!!!and is there a special kind of silicone for engine use? :mad:
rje
| | | | | Joined: Feb 2001 Posts: 1,094 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Feb 2001 Posts: 1,094 | Is this a new water pump? If not it probably needs to be replaced, there is a weep hole on the bottom of the pump under the bearing, when it starts leaking it drips from the bottom . just replace the pump, if you clean the gasket surface good and clean, no need for sealer. However a little rtv never hurt anything.
Tommy 59 apache 1/2t 261 short stepside | | | | | Joined: May 2000 Posts: 234 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: May 2000 Posts: 234 | You should NOT be using the clear silicone - go to any auto parts store and get the stuff made for high temperatures. They have "form a gasket" and "gasket sealer" - you want the latter (smaller tube). Did you put sealant on the H20 pump bolt threads? Since they go right into the water jacket, you need to think about leaks there too. I put a dab of red form-a-gasket on there, and no leaks yet. (But I must qualify that - I haven't actually filled the engine with water yet...  ) -Boyo
'48 Willys CJ-2A / '55.1 Chevy 3600 / '66 Austin-Healey 3000 / '04 Volvo wagon (parenthood!?)
| | | | | Joined: Apr 2001 Posts: 2 Member | | Member Joined: Apr 2001 Posts: 2 | I had a similar problem with a new water pump. As per the suggestions of a few stovebolters on this site, I added some Bar's stop leak, it took care of the problem.
Never argue with an idiot; they will bring down to their level and beat you with expertise!
'52 3/4 ton
| | |
#1155 12/13/2001 10:11 PM | Joined: Dec 2001 Posts: 14 Member | | Member Joined: Dec 2001 Posts: 14 | Well it was the darn weep holes, a new water pump is on the way! thanks for the tip on the gasket sealer, that water pump was the original over 40 years old. thanks for the help! 
rje
| | | | | Joined: Jun 2000 Posts: 2,773 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Jun 2000 Posts: 2,773 | The preferred stop leak is the copper seal or aluma seal. Comes in a tube as a dry powder, and won't plug up your heater or radiator. Avoid the bottles of liquid with pellets, I had to replace a radiator in a Nissan after using the Prestone stuff. 
Fred 52 3600 69 C-10
| | | | | Joined: Jan 2001 Posts: 687 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Jan 2001 Posts: 687 | Once again, Dr. Fred T is right. The Aluma-Seal is GREAT. I put some in a radiator I bought from Ebay a few months ago. Radiator was NOS, but had a dent that apparently broke some of the cores and there were leaks EVERYWEHRE. Garage was full of anti-freeze in 2 hrs! One bottle of Aluma-seal later, the leaks are history. Driven several hundred miles since. No sign of leaks whatsoever. -ftyler | | |
#1158 12/14/2001 11:28 PM | Joined: Sep 2001 Posts: 29,269 Bubba - Curmudgeon | | Bubba - Curmudgeon Joined: Sep 2001 Posts: 29,269 | Do the water pump mounting bolts go into water jackets on a 235/261? My 1954 shop manual and 1954 "Technical News" and technical service bulletins do not suggest sealing the water pump bolts on either a 235 or a 261. I am now putting together a '54 235 engine and while I never sealed the water pump bolts in the past, I would be pleased (and perhaps prudent) to do so now.
Thanks, Tim | | |
#1159 12/14/2001 11:53 PM | Joined: Jan 2000 Posts: 1,586 Extreme Gabster | | Extreme Gabster Joined: Jan 2000 Posts: 1,586 | No problem , they are blind holes. | | |
| |