The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
6 members (DBJ71SuperCustom, KEVINSKI, padresag, JW51, Shaffer's1950, 1955 1 Series), 66 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,080
Posts1,056,288
Members48,441
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#1148557 02/06/2016 2:00 AM
Joined: Aug 2014
Posts: 15
4
'Bolter
'Bolter
4 Offline
Joined: Aug 2014
Posts: 15
I am to the point of my T5 install that I need to figure out my shifter. I have an original 4 speed shifter to weld to the T5 shifter. Does anyone have any pictures or pointers of how to weld the T5 shifter to the original shifter? Where to cut, angle of the cuts, measurements or where to weld them together?

Thanks
49nut

Last edited by 49nut; 02/06/2016 2:00 AM.
Joined: Sep 2011
Posts: 2,951
L
'Bolter
'Bolter
L Offline
Joined: Sep 2011
Posts: 2,951
Originally Posted by 49nut
I am to the point of my T5 install that I need to figure out my shifter. I have an original 4 speed shifter to weld to the T5 shifter. Does anyone have any pictures or pointers of how to weld the T5 shifter to the original shifter? Where to cut, angle of the cuts, measurements or where to weld them together?

Thanks
49nut

I am happy with my short throw T5 shifter out of an S10. I modified it to work with a salvage yard shift handle that I found. The 1992 - 1995 S10s with a T5 usually have a short throw shifter. The base is taller than the earlier versions. See this LINK shows how I modified my short throw shifter. If you can't find a short throw version, then THIS LINK shows you how to make a short throw shifter from a regular style. I suggest that you drill the new pivot pin hole with a slight rotation toward the driver which will result in less reaching. It was a fun afternoon project.

Last edited by Lugnutz; 02/06/2016 2:50 AM.
Joined: Mar 2010
Posts: 10,282
5
Renaissance Man
Renaissance Man
5 Offline
Joined: Mar 2010
Posts: 10,282
I used an original 4 speed shifter welded to the T-5 shifter stub. I used an angle grinder to notch out a 2 inch section out of each and welded them together. Make sure you get plenty of penetration.
Carl


1952 5-window - return to "as built" condition | 1950 3100 with a 235 and a T-5 transmission
Joined: Sep 2011
Posts: 2,951
L
'Bolter
'Bolter
L Offline
Joined: Sep 2011
Posts: 2,951
49nut,
Have we met? Maybe I helped you get that T5?
Jay

Joined: Aug 2014
Posts: 15
4
'Bolter
'Bolter
4 Offline
Joined: Aug 2014
Posts: 15
Lugnutz

We have met. The install is all but complete still need to weld up the perches and get the drive shaft all seams to be going has planned.

49nut


Moderated by  Dusty53, SWEET 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0